Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a PPC-6700 and was thining about switching over to the T700p. But the keyboard looks much smaller. Is it harder to use than the 6700? Anyone with experience with both? Thanks.
    I don't post here much, but I lurk a lot. I switched from the 650 to the 6700 a couple of months ago and it's the biggest mistake I've ever made. The useability of the Treo form factor(including the keyboard) is immensely better than the 6700. I've also had my fill of Windows Mobile and am dying to get my sprint 700P that I ordered from palm.

I would go with the Treo keyboard every time!
    I had the 6700 the week it came out, and it went back a week later. Sending/receiving 100 emails a day, it just didn't cut it. Keyboard was terrible and opening/rotating/closing/rotating it with every single message was crazy.
    Never used the PPC-6700 but I did give the Treo700W a test drive for a couple of minutes. Even for my first time using the treo, it felt very comfortable. Searching through the internet was a breeze and typing addresses were no problem at all. Ofcourse, it cannot be compared to a keyboard usually found with a desktop but i'm sure with some practice, the 700p keyboard should become second nature.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    I've used the ppc6700. The 6700 keyboard is bigger and more comfortable, the Treos is smaller and more usable, if that makes sense. The 700 keyboard to me felt like a major improvement over the 650, and I preferred and was more efficient with my 650's keyboard than the 6700's.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I had the 650 since it first came out. My roommate shares my plan and bought the 6700. I was considering it because I was getting frustrated waiting for the 700p. I played with it for a few hours, and decided that the treo is MUCH better. You can do almost anything (even typing) with one hand. Also the screen is so much sharper. I hated having to constantly flip the screen. Glad I had the opportunity to compare the two. Definitely the TREO for me.
    The Treo was designed to be used one handed. The hardware and OS were designed with that in mind. The 6700 is more of a 2 hands + stylus device, it's still a great device.
    Jimmie Geddes
    mariog7, the comments by others here may seem a bit confusing. The bottom line, for me anyway, is that the 6700 was more comfortable (though far from perfect), but the design of the device made using it more of a chore. You had to slide it open when you wanted to use it and slide it closed when you were done. With the Treo, it's always there. Having it "always there" is nice for things like doing quick contact lookups or jumping right to an app in a list by typing the first letter of its name. The 6700 was further hindered because there was a noticeable delay as you opened/closed it and waited for it to change screen orientation (though I've heard that's improved with a recent 6700 ROM update). I also found that I might be using my 6700 for some web browsing with the slider open and it would shut off on its own after a while. That's fine, but when I went to close the slider, it would turn back on and then I had to manually turn it off again. Again, these things aren't related to the "comfort" of the keyboard, but they have a lot to do with the price you pay for having a large keyboard / slider design.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    You'll be happier with the 700p.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    You'll be happier with the 700p.
    I totally agree. I just sold my 6700 and am currently using my 650 until the 700 arrives from Palm.
    The things I want in a device to meet my hectic lifestyle:

1) WHIP IT OUT.. AND IT "GOES" - No flipping, twisting, retracting, or anything else to use.... hence the Treos

2) One handed use - Let's Face it... typing and driving is OK if you are skilled at it, right?

3) No Nonsense - Not a ton of buttons to use.. EASy to do EASY tasks... hence the 700p... I don't need 3 steps to go to something as simple as speakerphone mode (like on the w)

4 - I also looked at the 6700... someone where I work has both... Try typing one handed witht the 6700 and it will drop. The big screen is all that turned me on about it... but I will sacrafice that to have form factor in my shirt pocket.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeRadio
    The things I want in a device to meet my hectic lifestyle:

1) WHIP IT OUT.. AND IT "GOES" - No flipping, twisting, retracting, or anything else to use....

2) One handed use -

3) No Nonsense -
    Is this Urinal 101?!?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    My friend in realestate has the 6700 and that thing is amazing compared to the Treo multi taking wise. The only thing I don't like about it is...its a brick. If the treo were a Brick, you would rather have the 6700 brick with the drop keyboard, and you have to play with both hands.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Is this Urinal 101?!?
    Just make sure you shake well before retracting...
    You're right about the brick, it looks and feels like one when closed. It's actually almost the same size and thickness as my 650 is, but by looking at it you wouldn't think so.
    Jimmie Geddes
    What up Insertion, what up Bad Ash.....

To the initial poster. I had a 600 for a year, 650 for a year, 6700 for 8 months....

The treo is a marvel of engineering. I type with the same speed, with the same number of errors on the desktop KB, Treo 650 and PPC 6700..... when your use to them there all the same.

Added note: The treos dpad is way better than the 6700 joystick , sliding out the KB on the 6700 is tiresome, the hard keys on the treo (home, datebook, etc) are more user friendly on the treo.

I'm split 50/50 on which is the better PDA.
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr
    I type with the same speed, with the same number of errors on the desktop KB, Treo 650 and PPC 6700.....
    I thought I was the only person who typed the same speed on my 650 & desktop KB. Nice to know I'm not the only two finger typer out there.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    if i send 1500 text messages a month i dont feel like pulling the keyboard out 1500 times. The keyboard would not last that long, that is why i went with the treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by mademan118
    if i send 1500 text messages a month i dont feel like pulling the keyboard out 1500 times. The keyboard would not last that long, that is why i went with the treo.
    Same here. The keyboard on the 6700 isn't that tight even when it's new. Give a few months of heavy texting and it'll be falling off.

Don't forget about the backlighting of the keys. VERY, VERY big difference between the two. The Treos have amazing backlighting and the 6700 has horrible backlighting.
    The less moving parts the less chance for failure. The 6700 keyboard is neat and gives you more room to type, but its still easier IMO to type one handed with the Treo.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast