Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Ok, I have a family plan with Tmobile but the contract isn't up for a couple of months. I'm looking to get a 700P, which of course I can't do with Tmobile, so it's either Sprint or Verizon. Perhaps Cingular will have a HSDPA model in September, but I don't feel like waiting that long and there doesn't seem to be certainty that it will actually happen by then (or at all?).

My question is can I do something like this:

Go buy a 700P next week and sign up with Sprint or Verizon, get a brand new number.

Then, in two months, switch my other two phones on the family plan over to Sprint/Verizon (and terminate all three Tmobile lines), but transfer the numbers over, INCLUDING the number for my phone on Tmobile to the Sprint/Verizon 700P that I'll have had for a couple of months. In addition, would I be able reconvert my single Sprint account into a new family plan?

So I decided I should go to a Sprint and Verizon store today and do some research. First Sprint:

Unfortunately I got what was probably the newest, greenest sales rep to help me. Here's the info he gave me:

For the initial account (single line for next two months), it would be $40 for 400 minutes +$15 for unlimited data. If I want PAM, I would have to pay an ADDITIONAL $40 on top of that.

(When I initially asked about this, he said that oh no, PAM is included in the $15 data option. I said I was pretty sure it wasn't, and asked him to ask someone else. At first he said no, he knew it included it. I had to ask him a second or third time if he could please ask somene else. Luckily, another rep came by us at this point so it was easy for him to just ask, and the guy told him that, no, it WAS extra. No apology from this guy. He was young, and I'm betting he hasn't been with them for very long, but jeez, I hope he hasn't given totally wrong info like this to lots of others who are then screwed because the rep told them something different from what they end up having to pay. See why I'm asking for confirmation on all this stuff? People should bring tape recorders along with them to these meetings so they can have some proof of wrong info and thus not be charged for stuff they were told they weren't going to have to pay for.)

Once I get the Family Plan over in a couple of months, apparently it will cost $79 for the three lines at 800 minutes, plus $15 for one unlimited data account or $85. PAM is an additional $40, so we're talking $85/$125 depending on whether I get PAM.

Activations would be $36 + $18 +18, and the 700P would apparently be $429 after a $150 discount.

For Verizon:

The Verizon rep I had was pretty knowledgeable, and he said, like the Sprint guy, that I could transfer numbers over in a couple of months without a problem.

Apparently the first two months would be $80/month, or $95 if I wanted DUN - for 450 minutes. Once I transfer the other lines and change to a family plan, it would be $125 for 700 minutes and a data plan for one of the lines, or $140 with DUN.

He also said the phone would be $400 after discounts, and that activation would be $36 for the first line and $25 for each additional.

So it seems to be that Sprint and Verizon are more or less comparable if you want DUN/PAM, at least on individual lines, while Verizon is a little pricier if you want DUN with a family plan and a LOT pricier if you don't get DUN/PAM for EITHER individual or family plans. Otherwise they seem comparable, although Sprint offers the SprintTV stuff, and Verizon has better coverage (including coverage in the DC Metro here which none of the other carriers offer), and possibly better customer support?

In any case, if I do this (if it's indeed possible to do this), then I'm still out $100-200 for these two months before my Tmobile contract is up. Maybe all the hassle and the added expense isn't worth it, but other than simply not wanting to wait for a cool toy, is there any other good reason to get it now(ie discounts that won't be available later, etc.), or will it end up being even cheaper in a couple of months due to further discounting?
    Twitter: @dvdmon

the PAM option with Sprint includes unlimited data. It does not include any SprintTv or text messaging. So you should only have to pay the $40 for PAM and the unlimited data. If you want text messaging its either $8 more for 500 texts or $15 for unlimited.

And its unlikely that the price of the phone with Sprint will drop much in the next couple of months. If you have a Costco near you, they'll probably start selling it a little cheaper at some point in the future, but who knows exactly when that will be.
    Use PDANet and you wont have to pay PAM charges. Just dont be a pig about the data.
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    the PAM option with Sprint includes unlimited data. It does not include any SprintTv or text messaging. So you should only have to pay the $40 for PAM and the unlimited data. If you want text messaging its either $8 more for 500 texts or $15 for unlimited.

And its unlikely that the price of the phone with Sprint will drop much in the next couple of months. If you have a Costco near you, they'll probably start selling it a little cheaper at some point in the future, but who knows exactly when that will be.
    I don't care about text messaging, but I would like to do SprintTV. So if I get the $40 PAM deal instead of the $15 just-data plan, I won't have access to SprintTV but otherwise will have unlimited data for both the phone itself as well as the phone as a modem, right?

The other thing I forgot to mention was that when talking to a friend who works for Sprint Corporate, she said she talked with the guy in charge of the 700P launch and he said that most likely Sprint will have some new data offering geared specifically at the 700P.

Is it just me, or does it seem that despite the 700P about to be sold in stores (and already being sold and shipped online), that both of these providers don't seem to have a firm grasp on how it will work within their plans? Or is it just Sprint?

A key reason to get 700p is for EVDO. Check EVDO coverage in your area....

Sprint (orange is EVDO today, yellow EVDO by end of year)
    http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...shington,%20Dc

Verizon (click on Vcast)
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...ttype=PAN-EAST

If you travel, Sprint has an edge with having EVDO in more markets and EVDO roaming on Alltel starting July 1. Sprint plans to have nearly 100% of network on EVDO by end of next year in addition to Alltel EVDO roaming.

Verizon may have better voice pentration into buildings (due to 800mhz) but Sprint can also roam on Verizon as well as Alltel. Downside of Verizon's 800mhz is that they are rarely putting EVDO on 800, meaning 800mhz exlusive markets don't have it. Also impacts performance indirectly since a smaller portion is 1900mhz vs. 100% of Sprint's network having 1900mhz.

More EVDO comparisons...
    http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1235
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Use PDANet and you wont have to pay PAM charges. Just dont be a pig about the data.
    PDANet won't work with the 700P, as I've read here, since the carriers will know that you are using it as a modem due to how the EVDO network/phone work. I know JuneFabrics are trying to come up with some workaround, but I'm not sure if I can depend on that, since I think it's likely to be a breach of the terms of service on the account and/or they will be sued by the carriers and end up not offering it...

Quote Originally Posted by dvdmon
    I don't care about text messaging, but I would like to do SprintTV. So if I get the $40 PAM deal instead of the $15 just-data plan, I won't have access to SprintTV but otherwise will have unlimited data for both the phone itself as well as the phone as a modem, right?

That is my understanding of the plan. I think the $40 is a short-term deal though. It might be $50 for the unlimited plan in the not-too-distant future.

[/QUOTE]
    Is it just me, or does it seem that despite the 700P about to be sold in stores (and already being sold and shipped online), that both of these providers don't seem to have a firm grasp on how it will work within their plans? Or is it just Sprint? [/QUOTE]

Sprint isn't really saying much about the phone at this point. I've called about 5 times and get different/no answers when I call about it. I really think they're just not telling their own reps much about it.
    I'm guessing that a workaround will eventually be found. In-phone data is only $15/month. The workaround would need to make DUN appear like in-phone data usage. I'd bet that is doable.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    866 Global Posts
    Thanks, guys, for the info. Sprint is starting to look better, despite what my initial assumptions were about Verizon. I don't do tons of traveling, so this they actually still would probably be similar in what I would get out of them, but with Sprint being so much cheaper... Then again, who knows if these numbers are accurate, at least for Sprint!

But, what do you guys think about transferring the accounts? Have you ever done anything like that, or heard of it being done? Do you think it's possible, or is it going to be a huge hassle?

More EVDO comparisons...
    http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1235[/QUOTE]

Xeno-
    That's an awesome review. Thanks for the effort and expertise.