1.    #1  
    I'm a long time Treo 650 user who has recently purchased a MacBook Pro (and trying to keep my hands from being burned!---by the way, is there any hope for a fix for this? the firmware update didn't do it for me...I know, wrong forum). I haven't had a Mac since the old grey plastic PowerBook days: when I was trying to decide between a 20 or 40MB HD and had to clean the contacts so the trackball would continue to work. I'm so excited to be back!

I've ordered a 700p and want to start out with a clean slate. I'd appreciate help with some basic questions:

1. Missing Sync or iSync?

2. Entourage or Mac's suite of PIM apps?

3. Is Missing Sync and Entourage a viable combination?

4. What would be the cleanest way to transfer my PIM data from my Treo 650? I'd prefer never to sync it with my Mac, so I was thinking about beaming my contacts, appointments, etc from my 650 to 700p. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by acousticbiker; 05/25/2006 at 12:04 PM.
    I had hoped to replace my Powerbook with a MBP but these heat issues are making me lean more towards the Macbook until the second or third MBP revision with Leopard pre-installed arrives. Back to the Treo:

1. I use Missing Sync and would not hesitate to recommend it.

2. I've used Mail for a long time with my POP account and have for the most part been happy. Since starting to use Chatteremail I have switched to IMAP and have had problems. Although it took some getting used to I now use Entourage and everything has been running smoothly. A useful resource for all things Apple Mail is Hawk Wings

3. I'm not 100 percent certain on this but I think Entourage syncs with the Apple applications and they sync with Missing Sync.

4. I can't help with this one but I remember seeing it mentioned in the Treo 700p forum.

I'm relatively to the Treo myself, I'm sure more experienced members can and will elaborate further, but I hope this is of some use.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    I'm a long time Treo 650 user who has recently purchased a MacBook Pro (and trying to keep my hands from being burned!---by the way, is there any hope for a fix for this? the firmware update didn't do it for me...I know, wrong forum). I haven't had a Mac since the old grey plastic PowerBook days: when I was trying to decide between a 20 or 40MB HD and had to clean the contacts so the trackball would continue to work. I'm so excited to be back!

I've ordered a 700p and want to start out with a clean slate. I'd appreciate help with some basic questions:

1. Missing Sync or iSync?

2. Entourage or Mac's suite of PIM apps?

3. Is Missing Sync and Entourage a viable combination?

4. What would be the cleanest way to transfer my PIM data from my Treo 650? I'd prefer never to sync it with my Mac, so I was thinking about beaming my contacts, appointments, etc from my 650 to 700p. Any other ideas?

Thanks.
    acousticbiker - welcome back to the Mac world!

iSync will not sync your Treo without either missing sync or palm desktop also installed. Of the two I highly recommend missing sync. It works great and it allows tight integration with iphoto, itunes, ical, contacts, and it has a very cool folder sync that you can use to sync documents and other things like voice memos between your mac and treo. the iaps do not have a memo program but missing sync provides one that is pretty good.

As far as entourage vs MAc iapps, it depends on your level of use. I have used both and they are each OK. The advantage of entourage is that all of your memo, task, calendar and email programs are in one central location. It also has a project center, which the iapps do not have. Also entourage now has spotlight support which is a big improvement.

On the downside, entourage does not sync birthdays to the treo, and it does not publish your calendars online through imac like ical can.

Before entourage had spotlight support the advantage to me was the iaps. however since entourage gained spotlight support, that pushed the advantage to entourage and I switched at that point.

As far as missing sync compatibility with entourage, you may have to tweak a little to get everything set up (always back up before you tweak) but once you get it set up, I have found that missing sync and entourage work just fine together, as good as the iaps.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    1) Missing Sync is great. Should ship with all palm Treo's.
    2) I use the iApps because of how well they play together and with the OSX in general. I've never had any problems with Mail under SMTP, but granted, I'm not a very heavy mail user.
    3) Because I don't use it I can't really answer.
    4) With any transfer between the 4 machines you are definitely going to go through some growing pains. The nice thing is you are only dealing with 3 platforms(650 & 700p run the same OS), this should make it a little easier. Some of your data will inevitably have some tagging errors on your first sync that you'll need to clean up on the Mac side, but it should mainly deal with simple things like work & home addresses being swapped. The easiest way that I would imagine to make the actual data transfer without first syncing the 650, would be to move the individual databases off of your 650 using a file browser like Filez to an SD card and then copy them to your new device. As with any monkeying around with your data, always remember to back up before trying any of this.

As to your heat issue, if you're willing to void your warrantee, you could always reapply the thermal grease Apple slathered on your laptop. However, as you said this is probably not the right forum.

Have fun with your new Mac!
    forgot to address point 4

It might be possible to do a transfrer of your 650 data to your 750 by beaming, but I can tell you from experience that did not work when I tried to transfer data from a 600 to a 650, so it might not work in your case either. If it does not then you might have to resort to using your mac to do it. Here are some tips that I have used to transfer my 650 data to the Mac iapps and also to entourage listed below:

1) For transferring PIM data from treo to ical it is a little tricky because there is no handheld overwrites desktop option. The smart way to do it is to just use missing sync at first to backup only, then make a copy of your backup just to be safe and store it somewhere. Then you can try syncing your treo PIM info and it should work. Make sure all of your categories are correctly lined up, and do NOT select the option to erase any data, when isync prompts you. If for some reason something goes wrong and you lose your PIM data, just pull out your backup, hard reset your treo, then restore your hard backup using the backup conduit only. Then try again, always making sure to keep a copy of the original backup

2) For transferring PIM data to entourage, it is easier, as this conduit has a handheld overwrites desktop option. Just note your contact birthdays will not sync.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 05/25/2006 at 04:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fly888
    1)
    4) With any transfer between the 4 machines you are definitely going to go through some growing pains. The nice thing is you are only dealing with 3 platforms(650 & 700p run the same OS), this should make it a little easier.
    Fly888 brings up a good point, you will likely have some tag mismatch data, and probably get some duplicates. If you do, you may want to try the program updupe by stevenscreek software. I use this program and it works quite well for this purpose.
    I switched some time ago from a PC to a Mac and I think that you will love it. There is a program called outlook2mac that helps with transferring your info to the Mac, but if you already have a 650, I would try sync through that. Much easier!

1. Missing sync is much better than hotsync. There are many options (mentioned above).

2. Entourage is better (IMHO) than the Apple programs. You get used to the different ways that Palm and Entourage handle dates. By modifying the way you enter stuff it syncs fine. You can now sync between Entourage and the Apple iApps, so all your calendar and contact info is shared. This works great for me as it syncs with my .Mac account and iPod.

3. Missing sync works fine with Entourage. I use AgendusPro and it syncs just fine.

4. Try outlook2Mac. It exports everything into Vcards. You must then drop all the Vcard into Entourage. It a bit of a pain, but it works. Here is a link to help with that http://www.riches.com.au/articles/ex...-entourage.htm
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all of your help!
  9.    #9  
    OK, I've decided to go with Missing Sync & Entourage:

1. It appears that Entourage syncs with the Mac PIM apps. Is this sync bi-directional? So if I just have the Missing Sync syncing with iCal, will I be in effect syncing with Entourage?

2. To use Missing Sync, do I even need to install the Palm Desktop software?
    OK, I've decided to go with Missing Sync & Entourage:

1. It appears that Entourage syncs with the Mac PIM apps. Is this sync bi-directional? So if I just have the Missing Sync syncing with iCal, will I be in effect syncing with Entourage?
    Actually you are cued to disable your iapps conduits when you enable microsoft conduit, and you should not use them at the same time during hotsync. Instead you can select the option in the entourage preferences to have it sync with .Mac server, where is can then go back to sync with iCal and Address book. This is not as direct as you would think and I noticed that sometimes it took a while for the changes to be registered on iCal. If you want to export your entourage calendar to ical to publish, this might work for you, but I would not count on using your entourage or ical calendars interchangedly and expect them to immediately sync up real nice for you on both programs. In fact I noticed that the combination of using .mac sync and missing sync together can lead to duplicates quite a bit, especially if you work off two machines. For this reason, I just sync between my home and office computer using my palm and missing sync, and I turn off the .mac sync.
    2. To use Missing Sync, do I even need to install the Palm Desktop software?
    no dont even bother with PalmDesktop, it will just create more wasted space on your hard drive.
    nb: If you really need to sync entourage and ical/address book often and in real time, you may want to consider this app:

http://www.e2sync.com/
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Actually you are cued to disable your iapps conduits when you enable microsoft conduit, and you should not use them at the same time during hotsync. Instead you can select the option in the entourage preferences to have it sync with .Mac server, where is can then go back to sync with iCal and Address book. This is not as direct as you would think and I noticed that sometimes it took a while for the changes to be registered on iCal. If you want to export your entourage calendar to ical to publish, this might work for you, but I would not count on using your entourage or ical calendars interchangedly and expect them to immediately sync up real nice for you on both programs. In fact I noticed that the combination of using .mac sync and missing sync together can lead to duplicates quite a bit, especially if you work off two machines. For this reason, I just sync between my home and office computer using my palm and missing sync, and I turn off the .mac sync.
    no dont even bother with PalmDesktop, it will just create more wasted space on your hard drive.
    Thanks. Let me see if I understand you correctly. So do you recommend using the Entourage conduit (is there one?) directly with Missing Sync? Or should I use the iApps conduit and let sync services sync between Entourage and iApps (I'll probably be using Entourage on the desktop). Is there a difference in accurace/reliability when using the Entourage vs iApp conduits?

So by "do not bother" with Palm Desktop, can I use Missing Sync without it? I would love not to install it if I don't need it.
    Thanks. Let me see if I understand you correctly. So do you recommend using the Entourage conduit (is there one?) directly with Missing Sync? Or should I use the iApps conduit and let sync services sync between Entourage and iApps (I'll probably be using Entourage on the desktop). Is there a difference in accurace/reliability when using the Entourage vs iApp conduits?

So by "do not bother" with Palm Desktop, can I use Missing Sync without it? I would love not to install it if I don't need it.
    I recommend not even installing palm desktop just missing sync.

also, if you use both the entourage conduit via missing sync, and the sync services, you will end up with two sets of sync data floating around, one on your palm and one on .mac. If you have two computers that you are syncing your treo with, like a home and work mac, then this could lead to loss of PIM data ( I can tell you by personal experience).

I only use the missing sync entourage conduit and turn off sync services for the PIM data, and this works fine for me.

I have not tried the other way around, only using sync services and not the missing sync conduit, mainly because I feel the sync services is not as stable as the missing sync.

But if you choose to use sync services and not missing sync for entourage, please post your results. Whatever you do, back up your data frequently.
    Good luck.
    Question about Missing Sync. Can I pick and choose which Address folders, iTunes, iPhotos, etc. I transfer over to the 700p
    learn from my mistake. Don't use the Palm Desktop. use MissingSync and the iApps.

I use SnapperMail to check mail from Yahoo, Gmail, and two different ISPs. Can't say for Entourage though.