1.    #1  
    I need to buy more skins for my Treo 650 and my wife's.

Usually I get the Boxwave variety and they're fine. I like them a lot.

But . . . . soft resets mean that the skins have to come on and off. Ditto playing the Hotsync Cradle Game.

The result is that over time (and sometimes not a very long time--the most recent one just a few weeks) we end up with the skins ripping. Usually it is the upper left corner of the screen hole -- where you really have to stretch the skin to get it over the antenna.

Yes, it is clearly user abuse, and we could be gentler. We promise to try our best next time.

But at $18.95 a pop this gets expensive.

Anyone out there use another brand of skin who can say whether that brand will stretch mightily without ripping?
    The skins I bought off ebay for a buck a piece aren't ripping..

You sure you can't put the skin on a differetn way? I put it on top first, over antenna, pull down, stretch slightly over bottom. Never stretched very much in that process.

Can you use a cable or Bluetooth for hotsyncing? Or just pull off the bottom part of the skin and push it up?
    The JavoSkin I've had for six months isn't ripping either. For resets, I just poked a hole in the back right over the reset hole in the battery cover. Poked the hole using a thick needle. It's nice 'cause you can't see the hole, but the stylus still fits through it.
  4.    #4  
    I bought a skin off Ebay today so I will see how that works. And I will definitely start taking the skin off bottom first instead of over the antenna. Doh!
    I have the Sedio skin. Quite happy.
    Tell you a secret: All these silicone skins - take em out to clean, immerse them in HOT water for a couple of min, then dry with towel quickly and put them on the treo. Will make it very snug and keep them pliable. Kinda rejuvinates the silicone.
    I think what you're seeing is not so much the hot/quick stuff, but just cleaning them. I clean mine every so often, and it goes from slipping around a little on the Treo to sticking to it better, so it feels snugger.

It was starting to feel like it had somehow loosened up (which didn't make sense as I never take it off) and cleaning it fixed it easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    I have the Sedio skin. Quite happy.
    Tell you a secret: All these silicone skins - take em out to clean, immerse them in HOT water for a couple of min, then dry with towel quickly and put them on the treo. Will make it very snug and keep them pliable. Kinda rejuvinates the silicone.
    Thanks for the endorsement. Another great feature of the Seidio skin is that you can purchase a battery cover with a reset hole already drilled into it. This means that you should NEVER have to remove anything to do a reset unless you are replacing your battery.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio
    Thanks for the endorsement. Another great feature of the Seidio skin is that you can purchase a battery cover with a reset hole already drilled into it. This means that you should NEVER have to remove anything to do a reset unless you are replacing your battery.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    I'd be interested in this if there were some other colors besides the clear. I have a black one I got off ebay and love it but it is starting to tear.
    Hi khaytsus and Tasty which ebay vendor did you buy the the skin from?
    JavoEdge makes some great skins that also come in different colors. They also recently have been adding that reset hole in them so that they're compatible with Seidio's reset hole battery covers.
  11.    #11  
    I bought from the vendor who is in LA and sells for a penny and a billion dollars of shipping and handling. Sorry I don't have access to eBay at the moment. Has a yahoo email address and maybe 'vastexchange' is his/her/its username. Cost was $8.98 or something like that with the shipping. It is coming via the stupid US Mail so what kind of bargain is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    I bought from the vendor who is in LA and sells for a penny and a billion dollars of shipping and handling. Sorry I don't have access to eBay at the moment. Has a yahoo email address and maybe 'vastexchange' is his/her/its username. Cost was $8.98 or something like that with the shipping. It is coming via the stupid US Mail so what kind of bargain is that?
    His Ebay Store

http://stores.ebay.com/Vast-Exchange...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Do a "Store Search" on the left side of the page for Treo
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  13.    #13  
    Just an update to complete the loop.

The skin arrived on Friday. Shipping was kinda slow given that the vendor is in Los Angeles and I'm in Pasadena and the delivery was via US Mail. Points off for that.

Boxwave's skins are thicker and although we'll see how this one operates, I would think that thicker means more protection.

Finally (and the biggest difference), Boxwave's skins have a part that covers up the buttons (green and red phones, D-pad, etc) with skin in order to protect them. This one has no such coverage. There's a plus and a minus on this. Plus -- it is easier to manipulate the keys (not much, but somewhat). Minus -- more possbility for dings and damage.

So. Bottom line. $9 more or less via eBay vs. $20 more or less via Boxwave. Is it worth the extra money for the Boxwave product? Not sure yet. We have to see on the critical "does it rip?" question. But otherwise I am not wildly enthusiastic about the eBay product. The only thing in its favor is price.
    Personally I LIKE not having a rubber strap across my keys.. Of course, I use my skinned Treo in a P6 case.
    I liked my JavoEdge for the coverage and protection, but it did tear and at $29 it's a little price to replace two to three times a year. I'm now using the Boxwave and there are definitely pros and cons compared to the JavoEdge.

The Boxwave's strap across the hot keys and D-pad has little buttons that mimic their counter part underneath but the strap sits on top of the buttons, adding a small amount of thickness, where the JavoEdge fits over/around them. The LED hole on the Boxwave is slightly off set with the Treo LED. Otherwise, the thickness seems consistant and the texture dramatically reduces (almost eliminates) dust and lint, where as the JavoEdge attracts it like wild. It also feels better texurally. The JavoEdge always felt a little squishy and wierd.

The Boxwave price difference is nice too. $18 and change instead of $29 and I think shipping was a little high on the JavoEdge too.

Would love that battery compartment with the reset hole though (and a batter door with a hole. Any idea how to safely drill one?).
    Last edited by pelikan3; 06/16/2006 at 06:22 AM.
    What in the world are you doing to be able to tear / rip so many silicone skin cases? I've tried stretching mine and it'll stretch a good amount before it actually rips, so unless you're purposely stretching and trying to tear the skin I don't see how you can go through so many...
  17.    #17  
    The cheap skin died today. I stopped using the cradle to sync my Treo, so radically reduced the number of times I take the skin off my Treo.

Today it was time to take out the battery because you-know-why. The cheapie skin ripped.

The cheapie skin off Ebay was way thinner than the Boxwave skin. I guess that's why it only lasted a little while.

Now I have a Naked Treo. I am reconsidering this skin thing. It gets expensive.