Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I realize EVDO is something I do want. Though if I had GSM I am not sure I would care. It is not the speeds, but the fact if using data I can still get the call (data pauses).

    Besides that is there a reason I should want this phone so bad?

    Memory - I launch most all from the SD card, so I have 10mb free now. Why do I need more?

    Blazer - Woud be nice to have a faster broser, but is it faster or does it just render more pages. Either way it is not that big of a deal. Trecentral renders fine.

    Palm 5.4.9 - Big deal

    App's - I think I have functionality already via programs I own. So....

    I just do not get why I want this phone so bad (well besides the fact that my 650's screen cracked Sunday) But why get a 700p and not a replacement 650 for a lot less?
  2. #2  
    If the 650 is no longer usable, I think you should try the 700p. It's everything the 650 should have been. No sense going backwards again.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    Ok, I realize EVDO is something I do want. Though if I had GSM I am not sure I would care. It is not the speeds, but the fact if using data I can still get the call (data pauses).

    Besides that is there a reason I should want this phone so bad?

    Memory - I launch most all from the SD card, so I have 10mb free now. Why do I need more?

    Blazer - Woud be nice to have a faster broser, but is it faster or does it just render more pages. Either way it is not that big of a deal. Trecentral renders fine.

    Palm 5.4.9 - Big deal

    App's - I think I have functionality already via programs I own. So....

    I just do not get why I want this phone so bad (well besides the fact that my 650's screen cracked Sunday) But why get a 700p and not a replacement 650 for a lot less?
    Hi Wareynolds !!

    Best thing to do -- would be to wait until both are in a store -- compare them in use and features (bundled software and services like On Demand) side by side -- as well as against the 6700 and others -- and then make your purchase decision. As dstrauss says: "The P in PDA is for Personal."

    Cheers, Perry.
  4.    #4  
    That is true, but we all want it. Why so badly as there really is not major change besides EVDO. Is it worth paying an extra $200 (treo 650 $199 after new agreement vs 700 $399)

    That 200 could buy a lot of software.....

    Why do we all want it so bad or is this just a group irrational feeling to wanting the 'new' device?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    That is true, but we all want it. Why so badly as there really is not major change besides EVDO. Is it worth paying an extra $200 (treo 650 $199 after new agreement vs 700 $399)

    That 200 could buy a lot of software.....

    Why do we all want it so bad or is this just a group irrational feeling to wanting the 'new' device?
    Not all of us want it...unless I can get it for next to nothing.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6. cadams's Avatar
    Posts
    301 Posts
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    #6  
    EVDO and the ability to stream WM with the Knimoa plugin make the 700p very appealing to me.
  7. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Wareynolds !!

    Best thing to do -- would be to wait until both are in a store -- compare them in use and features (bundled software and services like On Demand) side by side -- as well as against the 6700 and others -- and then make your purchase decision. As dstrauss says: "The P in PDA is for Personal."

    Cheers, Perry.
    The one thing I'd suggest when doing your side by side comparison is to think about how you'll use in the real world. Honestly -- I think the PPC phones look cooler and have more "wow" factor sitting on the store shelves...but in the real world I found them quite cumbersome. Particularly the phone functions.

    I've said it before...so pardon me if you've seen me say this a dozen times already...but I use my Treo primarily as a phone and contact management system. The Treo (and PalmOS) shines brightly in this respect -- I haven't found a PPC phone that comes close for this particular function.

    The PPC OS (units like the 6700) have a TON of great PDA features. I love much of what it can do outside of the phone function. It's basically like a Mini-Laptop computer. If you're looking for a device that can edit word docs or do gotomypc on a teenie tiny screen and you don't use the device as a phone much then the PPC devices are definitely something to consider...
  8. pmdied's Avatar
    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    #8  
    If PdaNet will work with my current unlimited data plan through verizon it might persuade me. Otherwise I'll stick with my 650. I got rid of Verizon in favor of Vonage for my home business use; best decision I've made. I'm tired of Verizon's fees for every little thing.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
  9. Tmair's Avatar
    Posts
    373 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #9  
    If I did not already have a 650 I might be looking at the 700p, but for me at least it does not offer anything over what I already have, real player plays just fine for me, and I only have the memory half used, I have my games all on one card, and I have another card for the movies I want to watch, and all the programs I need on my phone.
    Terry
  10. Noahas's Avatar
    Posts
    286 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    That is true, but we all want it. Why so badly as there really is not major change besides EVDO. Is it worth paying an extra $200 (treo 650 $199 after new agreement vs 700 $399)

    That 200 could buy a lot of software.....

    Why do we all want it so bad or is this just a group irrational feeling to wanting the 'new' device?
    I am upgrading from a 600 on Cingular to Sprint/SERO and the 700 vs the 650 because if as you say the difference is $200, over a 2 year contract, that is $8.33 a month. For that difference, I would get a slightly better bluetooth (although I don't fully understand the nuances between 1.1 & 1.2), On Demand which looks like it should have some value to it (maybe a few dollars a month) and most importantly, with EVDO and the reportedly generally faster operation of the device. For as much time as I use the Treo, if it saves me about 5 minutes a month of being able to be productive, rather than sitting and waiting for a page to load, app to switch, etc., it has justified the cost to me based on what I can earn by working, rather than looking at a screen render.

    As an aside, all this talk about the 700p being not worthy to upgrade to because it doesn't have bluetooth doesn't make sense to me, or at the very least for my use. If I am really going to be using the pda portion for an extended period of web surfing, do I want to try to spend 30 minutes trying to type or view things on a 3 inch wide screen. Maybe my pda portion use is unique, but I use the treo for "quick hits", new emails in, quick sports news, phone number, directions, etc. So while I use it often, I don't use it for EXTENDED periods at a time, maybe I am unique in that, but if I were to use it for an extended period of time, I would much rather use my tablet pc with wifi.
  11. #11  
    Mine is purely the need to get the new tech. Sure, there’s some merit to my rationalization that the trade in of my beat up 650 equals the Sprint discount and the free 1GB card, but it basically is the need to be an early adopter.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by wareynolds
    That is true, but we all want it. Why so badly as there really is not major change besides EVDO. Is it worth paying an extra $200 (treo 650 $199 after new agreement vs 700 $399)

    That 200 could buy a lot of software.....

    Why do we all want it so bad or is this just a group irrational feeling to wanting the 'new' device?
    650 can be had all over for $99
  13. #13  
    If the 700p allows me to listen to streaming WFAN and Bloomberg, OR Blazer's speed makes me forget Xiino forever OR Chatter/Xiino/QuickNews/etc really take advantage of the EVDO speeds, I'm keeping it.

    Otherwise, it's definitely going back.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  14. #14  
    Its going to be my first smartphone. It has basically everything I need in a phone, plus the palm os, which i really like from my old pda days.
  15. Nate1861's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #15  
    The Treo 700p has...
    More battery life 1900mAh vs. 1800mAh.
    Better bluetooth, both in range and version number.
    Better reception, new radio chip.
    Better camera, 1.3mp vs. 0.3mp.
    Better internet, EVDO vs. 1RTT.
    Better design, side and top buttons are a bit more flush, smaller IR port, more professional look.
    Better roaming, forced roaming vs. no selection ability.
    Better ignore calls, can respond with text messaging.
    Better OS, might be an old OS, but it's a more refined version.
    Better memory, 128mb vs. 32mb, more responsive OS.
    Better multimedia, streaming WMAs, better aps to do so, etc...
    Better integrated memos, built in voice memo app and ability to record phone calls.
    Built in DUN capability.
    FAT32 support.

    Is it worth the price to upgrade? Totally a matter of opinion, just getting better reception is worth $650 dollars to me, might not be for you. Quit complaining about what it does not have, and take or leave what it does.
  16. #16  
    I left Verizon about 45 days ago and went with Cingular and the Nokia 9300 because I was tired of the bugs in the 700w. I've tried ALOT of pda/phone devices and have yet to find one that excelled in both areas. The Treo 650 came close, if you could put up the device resetting itself once every 5 days or so for no real reason.

    So now i'm back with VZW and the 700p which i'm suppose to get Friday. VZW said they would fully refund my early termination fee to get me back as a customer.

    So why do I want a 700p? Cause sooner or later someone will get the phone/pda combo device right in my eyes and how I need to use it!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Natrix

    Is it worth the price to upgrade? Totally a matter of opinion, just getting better reception is worth $650 dollars to me, might not be for you. Quit complaining about what it does not have, and take or leave what it does.
    You were good until the last sentence.. complaining about complaining is worse than complaining itself. I'm now complaining about complaining about complaining. But still, you get my point.
  18. #18  
    Has anyone tried getting a call when in a data connection with the 700p yet? I'd like to know if it rings through or kicks to voice mail still.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    If the 700p allows me to listen to streaming WFAN and Bloomberg, OR Blazer's speed makes me forget Xiino forever OR Chatter/Xiino/QuickNews/etc really take advantage of the EVDO speeds, I'm keeping it.

    Otherwise, it's definitely going back.

    I don't think the WFAN streams live games...............Queens in da house.........

    Somebody said something smart that being "real life applications" and in my life lugging such a bulky device started to annoy me and the reason for me giving up the Treo, now am looking into devices like the Q or Samsung 3120.

    A word on EVDO it's nice and the speeds are quicker but not that much quicker then a 650 with say Webviewer. Although I'm intrested in hearing about the new improved Blazer browser that render web pages more like a full browser. So at the moment I do feel left out but am enjoing all the unfolding drama.
  20. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    You were good until the last sentence.. complaining about complaining is worse than complaining itself. I'm now complaining about complaining about complaining. But still, you get my point.
    Can I complain about your complaining about complaining about complaining?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions