Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just ordered my 700p to use as a modem with my nice Mac Laptop and I read this:

With it hooked up to a PC using Sprint's Connection Manager, I got excellent speeds of 900 to 1,100 Kbps. That's awesome. But when I connected to a Mac using Bluetooth, speeds slowed down to about 200 to 300 Kbps. The problem is the Treo's Bluetooth 1.2 stack, which is just too slow to handle the full speed of EV-DO. (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1966287,00.asp)

Can anyone confirm this?

Shadowmite, do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
    Bluetooth is going to be much slower.
    Jimmie Geddes
    It's not the Treo itself... BT 1.2 isn't fast enough for that.... I think BT 2.0 is faster, but I'm not sure....

I don't think there's really much you can do about it, it's just a limitation of BT.
    There has to be a way someone can write MacUSB drivers!

Well is 200-300k faster then the current 1xRTT?
    Last edited by XistBoi; 05/24/2006 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added content
    I am guessing you used a usb cable for the pc, which would be faster since it's wired.
    Jimmie Geddes
  6.    #6  
    But the USB cable will not work with Mac?

And, Bluetooth is going to cut the speed by more than half?
    I'm SURE SOMEONE will come up with MacOS drivers
  8.    #8  
    I hope someone comes up with some drivers soon. Why even have EVDO if you can't use it? I can get around 50-100k with 1xRTT now depending on the file size. Not bad for $15 unlimited.
    Yea, it's only a matter of time. 200-300 kbps is fast though. I use my Treo 650 with my Powerbook via BT DUN and get a little over 100kbps, and it's fine. I used it for a week when my DSL went out.

So the Sprint software to use the phone as a modem is windows only? Di you sign up for PAM, phone as a modem?
    Jimmie Geddes
  10.    #10  
    Yeah, I planned on signing up for it. There is no way around it right, if you want to use if you want to use it with your laptop?

I wonder how they would even know if it is connected as a modem.
    I'm not sure what exactly it means, but the modem NAI tells Sprint that you've been using the phone as a modem. Older phones either didn't have it, or it could be disabled, allowing you to tether without Sprint noticing it. However, the 700p will have a modem NAI (or a dual NAI, so that you can't disable one of them, I heard this somewhere on TC) so you won't be able to tether without Sprint knowing it.
    I am fine if if I can just use my 700p via BT DUN without getting charged. Not sure that's the case yet. I'll try it, and if they charge me I'll say it was never made clear.
    Jimmie Geddes
  13.    #13  
    Wait a minute. I'm confused. Is DUN different that PAM?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    Wait a minute. I'm confused. Is DUN different that PAM?
    DUN is the dial-up network profile for bluetooth. PAM is phone as modem. The treo can be used as a modem either with the data cable or via bluetooth DUN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I am fine if if I can just use my 700p via BT DUN without getting charged. Not sure that's the case yet. I'll try it, and if they charge me I'll say it was never made clear.
    One of the reviews stated that the PAM charge was only for a tethered (USB) connection. I asked the retention rep that set me up and she said that I will be able to continue to use my 700p with bluetooth just like I did on my 650 without having to pay the PAM charge. She didn't even try to sell it to me.

I too have found that the speed of a bluetooth connection on Vision is plenty fast enough for the few times I use it which is only in an emergency when no better connection is available.
  16.    #16  
    If I use DUN, will there be any speed increase, or would I not be using EVDO at that point.

If there are no usb drivers as of yet for the MAC, is it even possible to use the 700p as a PAM? It sounds like DUN is the way to go, especially if there is any speed increase.

THanks for all of your help in answering my questions.
    Cool, I can use the BT DUN and not have to pay!!!! I hope thats true.
    Former Centro, Treo 700P, Treo 600, Tungsten T, M505 and PalmIII user...currently a Pre owner.
  18.    #18  
    OK, just got off the phone with Chris at Sprint tech support. He seems to know his stuff and also recommended that I check with shadowmite on TC (good sign imo)

He said that you CAN NOT use the 700p as DUN without a PAM charge. He said that there is now a chip in the phone that says "I'm a phone, now I'm a modem" and you'd be charged.

He did hip me to the Palm website that lists:

Req.
    Mac OS 10.2.4-10.4
    USB port (USB sync cable included)
    CD-ROM drive

So if Palm is listing the same sys requirements as Windows, they are leaving themselves open if there is no PAM over USB support.

He also told me that the 650 acts as a 33.6 modem over Vision and the 700p acts as a 56k modem over Vision. So, if you bump down to Vision due to no EVDO, you should get better speed than the 650.

Guess it's a waiting game now.

Oh, he also said that I will PROBABLY get mine (ordered from palm) on Monday after the release date. That's cool if true.
    Thanks for the intel.

Now if I could only swap between power vision and vision.
    Former Centro, Treo 700P, Treo 600, Tungsten T, M505 and PalmIII user...currently a Pre owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzkids
    He did hip me to the Palm website that lists:

Req.
    Mac OS 10.2.4-10.4
    USB port (USB sync cable included)
    CD-ROM drive

So if Palm is listing the same sys requirements as Windows, they are leaving themselves open if there is no PAM over USB support.
    See footnote (3) on http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...o700p/dun.html

"USB connection also requires USB cable included with smartphone and installation of included software (currently available for Windows computers only) which allows your PC to recognize the smartphone as a modem."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast