Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I don't think they can prosecute everyone in one case - I might be wrong. If you think Palm is going to pay attorneys to go after 1000 Joe Qs individually to recover a $100 expense, you're seriously mistaken.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Do Not Cancel Your Order Now, You Are Safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I joined the community last week when the software emulator was posted and started test out the emulator. This was before the red letters. Did they just appear today?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Some might say it's more of a punishment waiting for the 700p,lol.

Jimmie, do you think Palm is going to delay shipments until Mon or Tues (your gut feeling)?
    If nimrods are ordering bunches of them to stick on ebay, then Palm *ought* to pull the trigger on them, and that's probably where the threat is really aimed. Not more than one per person and "not for resale" is pretty clear.

Joe Schmoe trying to make a single $649.00 phone palatable by getting a deal on one is probably worth more in "buzz" to Palm than plastering all the busses with billboards, and they'll likely let it slide.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad
    Ahhh, I think I understand: It's like claiming a device is "wifi-compatible" (Treo 600), displays "64,000 colors" (Palm M130), has the same internal memory as the old device (Treo 650 vs Treo 600), has a warranty protecting us from "defects in workmanship and materials" (most, if not all Palm devices), etc....

I find it genuinely amusing and ironic to read that threat from "Palmland Security" to prosecute people for doing something that Palm has (wittingly or unwittingly) violated over and over in an attempt to get *our* money....

I signed up years ago but won't be buying anything through this program at the moment, isn't worth $100 to even argue with them about it. And if you really want the discount, waiting 60 days is probably a good idea - by that time the early adopters will have discovered the major bugs.
    Hey, I'm not agreeing with Palm--just saying what actual crime they could prosecute under.

I got the discount. Signed up when I got the 650. I dabbled with trying to create a Palm program but I'm not that smart--I'm just a lawyer.

BTW my advice is as good as the price you paid for it.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    I joined the community last week when the software emulator was posted and started test out the emulator. This was before the red letters. Did they just appear today?
    Yesterday afternoon was the first people here saw it. I have a $500 bonus coming to me next week and I plan on buying it through Palm with the $100 coupon and get the free SD card as well. Unless of course it shows up on the SERO site on Sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by treozero
    Hey, I'm not agreeing with Palm--just saying what actual crime they could prosecute under
    I got that. Just think it's funny to read their threat in light of their history. And (as a lawyer with a standard billing rate) you know the chances they'll be hiring lawyers to pursue everyone that bought devices under this - pretty near zero, they have bigger fish to fry with that money. I hear they're saving up to buy the name "Palmsource" for $30 million. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif

Still, the Fleabay types can wreck deals like this for everyone, even the developers. If Palm could just set the standard price at something reflecting reality - and not play all the games with discounts, trade-ins, bonuses, contracts, rebates, etc - less people would waste so much time trying to figure out the "angles" to bring it down to less than the price of an entire laptop.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Hey, I'm not agreeing with Palm--just saying what actual crime they could prosecute under.

I got the discount. Signed up when I got the 650. I dabbled with trying to create a Palm program but I'm not that smart--I'm just a lawyer.

BTW my advice is as good as the price you paid for it.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...es/biggrin.gif
    Yikes. That's some legal analysis you've got there. Sure hope you're not a litigator.

And if you'll recall, Palm did face a class action re: the 650. They settled, quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    Yikes. That's some legal analysis you've got there. Sure hope you're not a litigator.

And if you'll recall, Palm did face a class action re: the 650. They settled, quickly.
    I don't think treozero was putting forth a thorough legal analysis. Its very intelligent of you to judge his ability as a lawyer by a single post in a tech forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    I don't think treozero was putting forth a thorough legal analysis. Its very intelligent of you to judge his ability as a lawyer by a single post in a tech forum.
    I didn't question his ability to lawyer, I just said I hoped he wasn't a litigator. It doesn't really say anyting about my intelligence. But the thoroughness of a legal analysis is irrelevant when it starts from with a wrong premise.

I wasn't being serious, though. And I doubt he was either in making the argument in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by MHR
    I didn't question his ability to lawyer, I just said I hoped he wasn't a litigator. It doesn't really say anyting about my intelligence. But the thoroughness of a legal analysis is irrelevant when it starts from with a wrong premise.

I wasn't being serious, though. And I doubt he was either in making the argument in the first place.
    He didn't really make much of an argument. He just mentioned fraud. "Hoping he wasn't a litigator" implies that you don't think he would be a good litigator. Litigating is often an important party of lawyering. But you say you weren't serious, so my bad for making a big deal out of it. *makes peace sign*
    I think Palm will be shipping over the weekend, or Monday. My gut feeling is Tuesday, or Wednesday we'll be gloating under a thread " I just got my Sprint Treo 700p from Palm".
    Jimmie Geddes
    I am a litigator. TC is my leisure reading so I don't put too much thought (or spell checking) into my postings--just like your lack of thought in your postings, MHR. If you were joking where were the smiles or "jk"?

I was just answering someone's question about the crime Palm could prosecute people for and you infer I'm a bad litigator and that my leagle analysis (which it wasn't) was poor. I guess I can infer that your reading comprehension skill suck, too, huh? I hope your not out of high school.

BTW Palm getting sued really doesn't have much to do with them suing others, does it?
    I am a litigator. TC is my leisure reading so I don't put too much thought (or spell checking) into my postings--just like your lack of thought in your postings, MHR. If you were joking where were the smiles or "jk"?

I was just answering someone's question about the crime Palm could prosecute people for and you infer I'm a bad litigator and that my leagle analysis (which it wasn't) was poor. I guess I can infer that your reading comprehension skill suck, too, huh? I hope your not out of high school.
    No reason to get all testy. I didn't infer you were a bad litigator -- 'twas a joke. Sorry that it wasn't clear from the context.

There's no need to bash my reading comprehension, it's just fine. Your inferences, not so much.

BTW Palm getting sued really doesn't have much to do with them suing others, does it?
    No, it doesn't and I never said it did.

And you should know, being a litigator and all, that defects in the 650 (which is what I was referring to) or any inaccuracies/mistatements in the hype for that phone would be equally inapposite to any action against someone for this using a developer discount to which they weren't entitled.

Anyway, Peace
    Last edited by MHR; 05/25/2006 at 05:43 PM.

Thank you for posting. I enjoyed your comments and am glad that we can get comments from lawyers on these postings. It's what makes forums like this great
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Jimmie, do you think Palm is going to delay shipments until Mon or Tues (your gut feeling)?
    I figured I'd just call and see whats what. Palm said they will be shipping the Treo on Tuesday.

I signed up last week on the dev site before the red letters.

I think that they are putting those words up now to reduce the amount of new "developers" that are obviously trying to just get $$ off. Personally, I am going to work on a solution, but that's me.

In running my own biz, if I messed up on the website and someone ordered under those terms, I always honered them. Funny story, once my shopping cart gave someone from China $5 shipping. Well, I had to eat it!

Anyway, all should be good. I hope!?!
    First, any legal action Palm took would, I suspect, be a civil action, not a criminal one. "Palm" can't prosecute anyone. At best, they would have to convince a prosecuter to file charges, and the courts are way to busy for any state or local prosecuter to bother with this.

Actually, I think that if Palm were to cancel orders placed *prior* to the new fine print, people who placed those order would have a cause of action against Palm. You can't cancel a contract (which is what the purchase order is) for violating terms that are not in the contract and were not specified at the time the contract was made.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Well said meyerweb.

Mr. Lawyer, don't take this too serious, but I find it hysterical the one word you missspelled in that paragraph.
    Perhaps you had a hard day.

>>>> Lots-o-smileys>>>>>
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I think I better buy stock in kotex, because I've never seen so many p-u-s-s-i-e-s in my life.

Palm can't do squat to you.

All this quaking for nothing.

Register, ignore the scare tactic, get your discount and move on.

Palm wants to sell as many Treos as possible, regardless of channel.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast