Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Do Not Cancel Your Order Now, You Are Safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why are you so confident?
    Because they posted it after people ordered. There was nothing stating you needed to be a developer for more than 60 days, it's actually Palm's own fault in a way. Fine print saves a lot of people.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Even if people do sign up after the message is posted, do you think Palm would really turn away customers? I seriously doubt it. I'd like to see posts from people that have been. Someone care to start a new thread

The $100 off may sway people who were on the fence and may not have been Palm customers without it.
    exact;y, Palm is going to want customers either way. If they can sway some people to pay full price, then they make a hundred bucks, 100 bucks is pocket change to Palm. They want you to buy, but would prefer you pay full price.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Well I'll wait. I'm not worried about the prosecution threat; they had nothing on their site prior to this and I have proof of that. I'm just worried about my order being cancelled. If that happens I have a friend who was a manager at Radio Shack and still has connections there. I'll ask her what discount she can give me.
    Palm's still making out fine even with the developer discount. Nothing here worth getting worked up over. If they cancel your order (which they won't IMO), then they cancel your order and you go on with your life. It's not like Palm is going to throw you into Club Gitmo!
    UniPalmer
    -------------
    It's not the heat; it's the stupidity!
    What is the actual law that they would be able to prosecute people over this..... everyone is safe...
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by evilhomer
    What is the actual law that they would be able to prosecute people over this..... everyone is safe...
    Only thing I could think of is fraud.. but how would that stick? that is so stupid for them to write that...
    Quote Originally Posted by KAOWOLF
    Only thing I could think of is fraud...
    Theft by deception (aka Fraud)

It would not be either if you signed up BEFORE the change of polic AND if you "qualify" to be a "developer" under Palm's terms and conditions.
    Last edited by treozero; 05/25/2006 at 08:15 AM. Reason: ne dont speel two wel
    How the hell can they prove that ...I joined a group because I am interested in the development of palm related software as a hobby. And oooh wow cool ...There is $100 off this phone ..maybe I'll get it.... Im sure they'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to take this case...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    How the hell can they prove that ...I joined a group because I am interested in the development of palm related software as a hobby. And oooh wow cool ...There is $100 off this phone ..maybe I'll get it.... Im sure they'll be hard pressed to find someone willing to take this case...
    Show of hands...how many people joined when the news of a 700p emulator to play around inside the new Treo emerged? As long as you don't violate the terms of service that you agreed upon when you signed up I wouldn't worry about them going after you (unless I missed the entire having to wait 60 days part when I did sign up).
    Just a thought, but is this much different than the whole Treo Roadshow deal for the release of the 650? Wasn't that supposed to be for just for businesses? Yet, plenty of individuals were able to register and get a coupon.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    Show of hands...how many people joined when the news of a 700p emulator to play around inside the new Treo emerged? As long as you don't violate the terms of service that you agreed upon when you signed up I wouldn't worry about them going after you (unless I missed the entire having to wait 60 days part when I did sign up).
    Yup, I wanted to see the browser's cookie support and how some different websites looked on it.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    It just occurred to me...This whole 60 day thing prob. isn't about those of us who signed up and ordered ONE 700p right away.

I bet there are some ebayers out there with multiple aol, yahoo, etc. email accounts setting up multiple developer accounts and getting 5 or 6 or more to resell. I think that might be an actionable,though hard to prove, fraud.
    That makes sense. It's hard to imagine palm bothering to prosecute people signing up and ordering one when they could just cancel the order.

People buying them for redistribution probably are the problem, but that still doesn't mean they won't cancel your order.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meinken
    It just occurred to me...This whole 60 day thing prob. isn't about those of us who signed up and ordered ONE 700p right away.

I bet there are some ebayers out there with multiple aol, yahoo, etc. email accounts setting up multiple developer accounts and getting 5 or 6 or more to resell. I think that might be an actionable,though hard to prove, fraud.
    I'm sure that's what's going on. I wouldn't worry about anything at all if you buy one Treo for yourself. In case anyone is interested here's the Terms and Conditions:

http://home.comcast.net/~cadams7701/..._terms.jsp.pdf

There's nothing in there about a 60 day waiting period and it was not on there when I registered last week. I also emialed them asking what law they would use to enforce the new policy if somoene were to violate it. If Palm wants to come after me if I order with my entitled discount then fine.
    Scare tactic to deter.
    Jimmie Geddes
    The problem here is that this disclaimer was added to their site after the fact. Their 2nd problem is that the link to sign up is not unique meaning they have absolutely no way to know what order came from what account

The developer should take full responsibility for this one as they should have developed a solution to prevent this. I am a web developer (ASP.NET, c#.net) and if this were my application a new member would never even have had that menu item if the intention was that a new member would not be eligible for the discount.

The only thing they could do is invesitgate and cancel orders which would of course delay shipping. So lets see.. **** ALL of your customers off or give a discount which you can afford to give (palm isnt really losing here).... simple solution to me
    Quote Originally Posted by treozero
    Theft by deception (aka Fraud)
    Ahhh, I think I understand: It's like claiming a device is "wifi-compatible" (Treo 600), displays "64,000 colors" (Palm M130), has the same internal memory as the old device (Treo 650 vs Treo 600), has a warranty protecting us from "defects in workmanship and materials" (most, if not all Palm devices), etc....

I find it genuinely amusing and ironic to read that threat from "Palmland Security" to prosecute people for doing something that Palm has (wittingly or unwittingly) violated over and over in an attempt to get *our* money....

I signed up years ago but won't be buying anything through this program at the moment, isn't worth $100 to even argue with them about it. And if you really want the discount, waiting 60 days is probably a good idea - by that time the early adopters will have discovered the major bugs.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Yeah, but I think that if you order 10-20 treo's to yourself to sell on ebay that it would be coupon fraud, since the coupon clearly states one per customer per year.

I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. Standard disclaimer.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast