Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So i bought a Treo 650 off eBay for my wife. The description was exactly as follows: "Palm Treo 650 used for 6 months. Normal wear and tear." I won the auction for $310.
    When i received the Treo in the mail - it was all beat to hell.. I mean it looked like this phone had been to hell and back.. Every corner and edge was worn completely with even a hairline crack in the casing. I've started a claim through Paypal because the seller is not giving in. I have owned my Treo 700w for 6 months now and it is in VERY nice condition. I would definately say the wear and tear on my phone is "normal". What do you guys think? Am i wrong in being upset over the condition of this phone? I've owned 4 treos in my lifetime and have never had one in a condition like this...

What are your thoughts?
  2.    #2  
    So i bought a Treo 650 off eBay for my wife. The description was exactly as follows: "Palm Treo 650 used for 6 months. Normal wear and tear." I won the auction for $310.
    When i received the Treo in the mail - it was all beat to hell.. I mean it looked like this phone had been to hell and back.. Every corner and edge was worn completely with even a hairline crack in the casing. I've started a claim through Paypal because the seller is not giving in. I have owned my Treo 700w for 6 months now and it is in VERY nice condition. I would definately say the wear and tear on my phone is "normal". What do you guys think? Am i wrong in being upset over the condition of this phone? I've owned 4 treos in my lifetime and have never had one in a condition like this...

What are your thoughts?
    Did they have pictures in the listing?
  4.    #4  
    Yes but the pictures were NOT up close at all. I could not see the damage from the pictures.
  5.    #5  
    http://i22.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/15/85/0a_3.JPG

THis is the picture from ebay. Can you tell from this picture that it is all beat up?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    I think that "beat to hell" does not mean "normal wear and tear". Sounds like heavy wear and tear. personally, I'd follow up with a claim, plus ding this guy's ebay sellers rating as hard as you can. Didn't he have a picture of the device up on ebay? If he did, and it looked in better condition, before and after pics may be helpful.
    Got a link to the auction?
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112

What are your thoughts?
    Where was it sent from? You are descibing my old phone to a T. I lost it in the Tampa Bay area. Is it a Sprint?

BTW, on topic again I think you have done the right thing by notifying PayPal. Also normal wear and tear is not a crack in the case. I had to drop my old lost Treo from great heights to achieve a crack in my case.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Sue the ******* for false advertising.
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate on this one and say "normal wear and tear" that is really a subjective or relative term, and he could argue that his normal wear and tear could be based on his daily activity as a rockclimber or a Hollywood stuntman.

If you can take a picture in similar lighting as the one shown above, and it's clearly not the same condition, you might have a slight fighting chance. That picture above could have been taken 2 weeks into his ownership. Does it also mention that the device wasn't previously owned before his 6-month endurance test on it?

You'd think that most people would try to be honest, but the world is a big place. I bought a dual LNB head for a satellite dish and the buyer described it as "new condition." I received it in a brown paper bag and it had fresh dirt and marks all over it. I warned him that it wasn't in new condition at all, but he retorted that it was "as good as new and works as new," and even threatened that if I gave him anything less than positive feedback, he'd do the same right back at me.

Sometimes, it's just best to pay the right price for the right experience.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    I think that "beat to hell" does not mean "normal wear and tear". Sounds like heavy wear and tear. personally, I'd follow up with a claim, plus ding this guy's ebay sellers rating as hard as you can. Didn't he have a picture of the device up on ebay? If he did, and it looked in better condition, before and after pics may be helpful.
    I would wait on beating the guys rating. One man's "wear and tear" is another man's "Beat to hell". I maybe a simple misunderstanding. I would tell him to wait till PayPal resolves it.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlizard
    Got a link to the auction?
    What he said.
  13.    #13  
    Item number: 9727735952
  14.    #14  
    Well hopefully paypal will feel the same as i do.. This is not "normal". His description was very vague. If i knew the actual description of the phone i would not have bought it.
    can you post a picture of the device so that we can compare. Also does it function?
    Quote Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate on this one and say "normal wear and tear" that is really a subjective or relative term, and he could argue that his normal wear and tear could be based on his daily activity as a rockclimber or a Hollywood stuntman.
    I agree - sorry. It would have been different if he had said "like new" or "great condition". "normal wear and tear" would have been a red flag to me that it had taken some bruising.
  17.    #17  
    "normal wear and tear" would have been a red flag to me that it had taken some bruising.
    Is a hairline crack in the casing "normal" wear and tear to you for a 6 month old phone??
    The auction has a photo... is it THAT T650?

Does it look radically different from that photo (or was it's wear and tear carefully hidden?)

The seller won't negotiate for a lower price?
    I've received some phones in less than what I thought was described in the auction... and ALL sellers were willing to work something out (a partial refund in each case)...

Goodluck!!
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112
    Is a hairline crack in the casing "normal" wear and tear to you for a 6 month old phone??
    Not for me since I keep my device covered 24X7 to avoid all dings, scratches and other wear. However, as BT remarked, "normal wear and tear" is subjective. A lot of people don't use cases. Heck, a case doesn't even come with the 700w. (I don't know about the 650 but you posted in the 700w area.)

Don't get me wrong. I sympathize and would be ticked if it had happened to me. However, I'd wonder about the "normal wear and tear" statement from the beginning.
    Double posting is a no no.

<MERGE>
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast