Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Question for those activating a 700p on a Sprint account.

I currently have a Sprint retention plan that includes a boat-load of anytime minutes, unlimited SMS, FIMF, and Unlimited data. Now when I upgrade to the 700p with EVDO capability, will I need to change my plan or am I grandfathered to have EVDO activated immediately?

My vision was grandfathered so I'm hoping that power vision is as well!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmcg
    Question for those activating a 700p on a Sprint account.

I currently have a Sprint retention plan that includes a boat-load of anytime minutes, unlimited SMS, FIMF, and Unlimited data. Now when I upgrade to the 700p with EVDO capability, will I need to change my plan or am I grandfathered to have EVDO activated immediately?

My vision was grandfathered so I'm hoping that power vision is as well!
    Get ready to say goodbye to your current plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Love
    Get ready to say goodbye to your current plan.
    That is not necessarily true. I suggest you read up on SprintUsers.com. There are a number of threads available, but the general consensus...there are ways around upgrading you plan.

Two of the important factors: don't activate at a sprint store or other retailer, and don't cash in on any Sprint Rebate. You'll have to pay basically full price (if you cash in on the rebate, they'll ask you to upgrade when you sign your 2 year or 1 year agreement). But if you just do an ESN swap, things should continue to work as they currently do.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    By the way, what is "FIMF", was thinking Free Incoming Minute, but what is the F?
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattS822
    By the way, what is "FIMF", was thinking Free Incoming Minute, but what is the F?
    FIMF = First Incoming Minute Free
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    That is not necessarily true. I suggest you read up on SprintUsers.com. There are a number of threads available, but the general consensus...there are ways around upgrading you plan.

Two of the important factors: don't activate at a sprint store or other retailer, and don't cash in on any Sprint Rebate. You'll have to pay basically full price (if you cash in on the rebate, they'll ask you to upgrade when you sign your 2 year or 1 year agreement). But if you just do an ESN swap, things should continue to work as they currently do.
    Or you may be able to keep all of the other "goodies", but have to pay for the PV upgrade.
    You will lose your GF'ed Vision with un/l sms. Back then, one could get thier GF'ed Vision plan added to a PV phone. Sprint has cracked the wipe on thier reps, and it's very hard to keep such an add-on. PV phones/pdas, require a PV plan.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. You do not need to give up your GF'ed vision services. There are many many Sprint users who have done this and not given anything up.
    You do not have to change ur plan, at all you have to do is an esn swap. If you dont want to change ur plan though you might not be eligable for any upgrades rebates though. Because I've spoke to 3 different reps in the retention department because I was going to switch to a sero plan and they told me it wasnt worth it because my plan was better. And when I do get the 700p just tell them not to change my plan.
    So if I purchase a 700p and do an ESN swap, all my current Grandfathered plan components stay in tact? Unlimited vision, sms, etc? Downside is I won't be able to utilize the EV-DO option...just normal web browsing correct?
    So I talked to a rep who initally said when I get a powervision phone, I would HAVE TO change my plan to the higher prced powervision plan - I would LOSE my $10 a month unlimited data, text, picturemail plan. I said WHAT??? I complained & said that is not fair. He put me on hold for like 20 minutes & came back with good news - on June 1st I would automatically be upgraded to Powervision & keep the $10 price for unlimited data, web, picturemail that I had before. The only difference is that witht the new powervision, unlimited text is $8 BUT they will put a $8 cedit on my account each month!!! YAAYYY! Point is, it can be done. There is no official way to enter in some codes, but with the right rep & some ingenuity, it can be done!!! Keep calling back until you find the right person to help you!
    I think if you do not want the TV/Music part of PV, just do the ESN swap. Keep the GF vision plan and get EVDO speeds on web.
    Even if you want hte TV and all. Trust me...do an ESN swap. Then, if you want TV, you'll have to add it for $9.99 per month, rather than it being included, but all the different and better items with EVDO are available and will work.

Antwone is right though...you may have to forfeit any rebates, because then they'll try to force you to upgrade. Either way, be sure to do it over the phone and not in a store. The stores will almost certainly require you to change plans, and once they're gone, its hard to get them back again.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    How about, renew your current contract before you buy the 700p. Making yourself eligible for the rebates. Then buy the 700p and do an ESN swap. Then you can send in the mail in rebates and you should be fine.
    I think that when you renew your contract, they automatically try to steamroll you into changing to a current plant. But more so, i don't think they give the rebates unless you purchase new equipment.

They don't give the money just for signing a contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoad
    How about, renew your current contract before you buy the 700p. Making yourself eligible for the rebates. Then buy the 700p and do an ESN swap. Then you can send in the mail in rebates and you should be fine.
    The rebate is for getting a new phone. You're only eligible for it every 24 months. To get it you have to sign up for a contract. But that street only goes one way- signing a contract by itself doesn't give you the rebate. Sprint has repeatedly told me that to get the rebate, the new phone has to be purchased through Sprint or RS. I think that's so they can force you to upgrade your plan. So, basically, if you want to go the ESN route, you're going to have to purchase the phone without any rebates.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    No. you misread what I wrote.

step 1) resign new contract (i.e. same one, but tell them you want to be elligible for rebate)
    step 2) buy new phone.
    step 3) activate new phone
    step 4) send in rebate forms.

Put it this way, 1.5 years ago when I resigned the contrat on one of the 4 phones on my family plan (my line for my 650) and added the 4th (a cheap 600 I was able to get for my dad as he retired and didn't have a phone through work anymore), all I did was resign the contract and I was mail in rebate elligible for those 2 new "contracts". As the 600 was nearly free I ended up getting my 650 for $100 ($370 for 650 through roadshow + $30 for the 600 - $150*2 in rebates)

pondering if I'll be able to pull off as good a deal again this time. doubt it, but who knows.