Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    I have been using the Transcend 4G for a couple weeks now with no problems at all. Last weekend I reformatted my SD card (on my PC) using Treolo's instructions to increase the cluster size (above #118) and my card write speed has dramatically increased and best of all no more backup issues with some large files. The only downside was a slight decrease in the amount of free space on my SD very well worth it!

Thanks to Treolo for the great tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyNale
    So when I get this replacement 4gb card, how should I go about formatting it? Should I use the 700p to format it? Just want to make sure I don't mess it up somehow...
    My Transcend card worked "perfectly" on the Treo with the original formatting, but having seen others apparently corrupt the card by placing it into other card readers, I haven't done so, yet. Is your Sandisk reader the one that reads about 8 different types of cards (that's the one I have, it's been about a year since it hit the market). It's an uncomfortable problem having some readers corrupt the cards, you never know when your number is coming up. I'm not sure that everyone who had their cards corrupted tried reformatting them to see if this would clear up the problem.
    I bought an AData 4gig card for my Treo 700p, and it would lock up every time I tried to delete a large file using a Treo file manager. Same for a FAT32 formatted 2gig SD card. But the same 2gig SD card when FAT formatted works fine. Same results whether Resco Explorer, Filez or the Palm file program.

Now I bought a Transcend 4gig card, and with the original FAT32 formatting, everything works fine!

I don't know if that means it was formatted differently, or if there's something different about the hardware. Either way, I'm really glad to have a 4gig card that works! (Fortunately, the others are still great for read-only content, and I just mark files with a xxx_ prefix for deletion later at my USB SD card reader.)
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    My Transcend card worked "perfectly" on the Treo with the original formatting, but having seen others apparently corrupt the card by placing it into other card readers, I haven't done so, yet. Is your Sandisk reader the one that reads about 8 different types of cards (that's the one I have, it's been about a year since it hit the market). It's an uncomfortable problem having some readers corrupt the cards, you never know when your number is coming up. I'm not sure that everyone who had their cards corrupted tried reformatting them to see if this would clear up the problem.

Yes, that's the one. I got it about a year ago also. It is a shame that you have to worry about corrupting the card depending on which device you use it in. Mine was so bad that I couldn't even access it in any device. So I couldn't even format it if I wanted to. It was just not recognized by anything. Hopefully I can avoid that this time....
    I am using Transcend 4GB 150x card (got $30 rebate from newegg for total cost about $60).

700p and SD reader in Motion laptop recognizes it- Microtech(?) reader for dekstop does not.

anyway, no crashes or unrecognized card problems.
    its just slower according to VFSmark.

Sandisk 512MB Extreme - 921
    Transcend 4GB 150x 701

?

is there a certain way to format it to get better speeds, as far as cluster size, etc?

even the VFS tester from audacity (dictation software for palm) rates the Transcend as poor, and the Sandisk Extreme as good!
    Last edited by stuigi; 08/08/2006 at 08:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbert
    I bought an AData 4gig card for my Treo 700p, and it would lock up every time I tried to delete a large file using a Treo file manager. Same for a FAT32 formatted 2gig SD card. But the same 2gig SD card when FAT formatted works fine. Same results whether Resco Explorer, Filez or the Palm file program.

Now I bought a Transcend 4gig card, and with the original FAT32 formatting, everything works fine!

I don't know if that means it was formatted differently, or if there's something different about the hardware. Either way, I'm really glad to have a 4gig card that works! (Fortunately, the others are still great for read-only content, and I just mark files with a xxx_ prefix for deletion later at my USB SD card reader.)
    My Transcend 4GB card came formatted with FAT32 32K clusters, but the two A-Data 4GB cards (that I tested and eventually returned) came formatted with FAT32 4K clusters. As the testing has shown, FAT32 4K clusters are dramatically slower, to the point of taking minutes for a delete to complete. Have you tried re-formatting the A-Data 4GB card with FAT32 32K clusters?

Using VFSMark, the File Delete score for my A-Data with FAT32 4K clusters was 11 vs. 44 for the re-formatted A-Data with FAT32 32K clusters. The Transcend scored even better at 92. Also, my originally formatted Transcend actually scored slightly slower on many of the VFSMark tests before I went through the process of formatting and testing it with various other cluster sizes (8K, 16K, and 32K).
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    I am using Transcend 4GB 150x card (got $30 rebate from newegg for total cost about $60).

700p and SD reader in Motion laptop recognizes it- Microtech(?) reader for dekstop does not.

anyway, no crashes or unrecognized card problems.
    its just slower according to VFSmark.

Sandisk 512MB Extreme - 921
    Transcend 4GB 150x 701

?

is there a certain way to format it to get better speeds, as far as cluster size, etc?
    The overall VFSMark score disguises the more relevant test scores, so you should take note of the scores for File Create, File Delete, and File Write. You also need to verify the format of each of the cards ... the Sandisk is likely to have been formatted as FAT (FAT16) while the Transcend had to have been formatted as FAT32. Currently anything formatted FAT32 will be significantly and comparatively slower than the same card formatted FAT. Also to address the full capacity of anything larger than 2GB, it must be formatted as FAT32.

To verify the file system and cluster size, in WinXP, open up a command prompt (Start Menu, Run...: "cmd"), then run "chkdsk":

Code:
    chkdsk X:
    (where X is the drive where your card is located)

To format your card (again at the command prompt):

Code:
    format X: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K
    /FS is the switch to set the file system
    /A is the switch to set the cluster size

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    even the VFS tester from audacity (dictation software for palm) rates the Transcend as poor, and the Sandisk Extreme as good!
    I think you're referring to CardSpeed, right? Someone else noticed that the "Poor" or "Good" rating was simply a test of how long the overall test took to complete.
    same thing Brandorr- i got same results for the most part with Transcend 4GB vs Sandisk 512MB extreme.

tc600- yes- thats the one.

i will try the format with cluster size at 32k when i get some time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    So in my final testing 32K cluster sizes seem to offer the best performance for both cards.

To do the formatting you will need a USB card reader.

from a dos prompt:
    4GB card:
    format /FS:FAT32 /a:32K g: (replace g: with the mounted drive letter of your card reader)

2GB card:
    format /FS:FAT /a:32K g: (replace g: with the mounted drive letter of your card reader)
    For a 2GB card, you would use FAT? and NOT FAT32 to format? Why?

--
    Just read another post (earlier in this thread) that FAT32 has issues in the 700p, until they get it fixed with an update - hence to format using FAT via PC card reader.

Quote Originally Posted by tc600
    FAT32 can actually be slower than FAT. FAT32 uses 32bits to track each storage cluster while FAT uses either 16bits or 12bits to track each storage cluster. It's still a minuscule amount of data being read or written, so the difference really shouldn't be noticeable, however given the software stack currently on the Treo 700p, there is a significant difference in writing data in FAT32 format versus FAT format. Hopefully the first update fixes this imbalance and makes the FAT32 file handling much more efficient, but until then, if you have up to a 2GB SD card, it is highly recommended that you use the FAT format for performance reasons.
    Last edited by redline122; 08/16/2006 at 05:36 PM.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 700p (Death by MR Update to 1.10) -> Treo 755p (Blue) -> Treo Pro with Sapphire Blue Innocase
    I have found that if I "format" the card in a reader, I can successfully reformat the card on the Treo without any "invalid volume name" error.

The file system that Treo seems to use is FAT32 not FAT (I found this out after I formatted the card in the Treo and then put it back in the PC card reader).

RL
    Palm Vx -> Treo 700p (Death by MR Update to 1.10) -> Treo 755p (Blue) -> Treo Pro with Sapphire Blue Innocase
    I called TreoCentral and they assured me they tested this card and it would work!

http://store.treocentral.com/content...-124--1052.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by VoodooDSims
    I called TreoCentral and they assured me they tested this card and it would work!

http://store.treocentral.com/content...-124--1052.htm
    Nice to have that testing done first.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    To do the formatting you will need a USB card reader.
    from a dos prompt:
    4GB card:
    format /FS:FAT32 /a:32K g: (replace g: with the mounted drive letter of your card reader)
    Thanks a lot for that tip.
    I own a treo650 with CustomROM, bought a Transcend 4GB 150x, formatted it and used it - and was totally disappointed about the speed, so I used my old 2GB card again. After reading this threat, I tried chkdsk and found it was formatted with 4kb - now following the above tip, I'm happy about the increase of speed and have more then 2GB free
    Quote Originally Posted by IDtheTarget View Post
    I just got my A-Data 150x 4GB card, and it works just fine. Only paid $85 for it!

I was just at zipzoomfly, they are now down to $70 (with free shipping)!

some else said they got a 4Gb for ~$60. nice.
    I did the 32k cluster reformat- definitely improvement in benchmarks.

not huge.
    cant wait for 700p updates.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    not huge.
    cant wait for 700p updates.
    It's not only the benchmarks (VFSMark +20%) that is increased, it's the "real" speed when hytsyncing:
    I use iSiloX to generate some daily news. The files (for iSilo on my treo650) are between 100K and 2.5M. I hotsync them to a folder on my card.
    After purchasing the new 4gb card (preformatted with 4K-Clusters) the hotsync lasted more then 3 times than it did with my older (FAT-formatted) 2gb-card. I put my new card aside and used the old one.
    Now, after reformatting the 4gb card with 32K-cluster-size, the hotsync-time is nearly the same as with my old (2gb, FAT-formatted) card. That's it!
    Sorry to digress here -

How are you guys moving the data from your first card to the new 4gig...?

I just got my card today and it shows the available 4gb on my Treo700p... but, neither of my card readers is recognizing it, hence not allowing me to move data that i have copied to the PC from my old 1gb San Disk to the new 4gb Transcend -

is it my card reader (SanDisk 8 in 1)? shouldn't it be recognized, even though it's empty and just allow me to copy those files right onto it?

Any help is appreciated...
    -jscott
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj View Post
    Sorry to digress here -

I just got my card today and it shows the available 4gb on my Treo700p... but, neither of my card readers is recognizing it, hence not allowing me to move data that i have copied to the PC from my old 1gb San Disk to the new 4gb Transcend -

is it my card reader (SanDisk 8 in 1)? shouldn't it be recognized, even though it's empty and just allow me to copy those files right onto it?

It is probably your card reader ... If the card is reading fine on the Treo, then it has probably already written a couple of basic Palm subdirectories onto the card. Even if the Treo didn't write those subdirectories, any card reader that recognized the card would mount and display the card as an available drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by jscottcj View Post
    Sorry to digress here -

Card Reader from Mobile Stream allows you to use the Treo itself as a card reader:

http://w3t.org/u/x37
    http://w3t.org/u/x39

It runs well on the 700p and I have had no problems with it. I have the same 8/1 SanDisk card reader but have not tried to use it to read the card. Sorry to hear that it does not work.

What kind of 4GB card did you purchase?
    Transcend 150x from newegg.... with the $30 discount...
    -jscott
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast