Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141037

Already posted, but now with $15 rebate = $60.99
    With the Transcend Card you also get a fairly consistent 10% increase in write speeds if you format without a backup FAT table.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    With the Transcend Card you also get a fairly consistent 10% increase in write speeds if you format without a backup FAT table.
    Did you do this with Pocket PC software, or were you able to find some XP or Palm software that can perform this formatting trick?
    I used the PocketPC software that was discussed earlier.
    Ok, I just got the Transcend card from Fry's (Outpost.com delivered in one day) and couldn't wait to just pop it in. The 700p immediately recognized the card and after copying in Shakespeare's "As You Like It" (71.6KB), Card Info shows 3917.7 MB free of 3918.0 MB (a LauncherX file took the liberty of copying itself over (LAUNCHER.DAT 151 B?)). I may be losing a few clusters at this point; but, Ouuuuu, the Treo is now starting to get into some serious rocking! 4 Gigs, wow!!!!!!

Thank you for your help my friends!
    Last edited by copernicus; 07/28/2006 at 01:37 PM.
    Ritek Ridata 4GB 150x "pro" card (lifetime warranty). about $87 shipped from the 'Egg'.

"Default" formatting: Backupman took 40 minutes (!) to do a 35.6MB backup

Upping the clusters to 32k brought that same backup down to 12 minutes.

Thanks for this thread.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    This is probably a dumb ?, but certainly not my first - if I get a 4mb card, do I just insert the new card and hot sync? will it just sync the info onto the new card from the old?
    No. As far as I know it doesn't do that. You should copy your old card to your pc first. Then back to your new card. To do that you need an SD reader for your PC. ($10)
    Newegg has the transcend for $61 (AR) plus shipping. I got this one and it works great.
    Hmmm. I have read several posts here reporting problems with the A-Data 4 Gig card which I was originally planning on purchasing. After seeing them, I decided to buy the Transcend card which, so far, no one has reported a problem with (as far as I know). Today being Sunday, after reading these posts, you might be able to cancel, and order the Transcend from NewEgg (or some other card) which currently seems to be offering a better deal than outpost.com (which is where I bought mine) and is a bit cheaper than the A-Data to boot. So far this card (Transcend) seems to be working perfectly for me. As you can see, the A-Data seems to be working well for other people so the card may be ok. However, I would rather speak up and let you know of the problems and then have you make your decision. The PQI card is also problem free as far as I have been able to determine.

Good Luck!
    I ordered my Transcend 4Gb card last night.
    i've got the adata 4gb sd and i haven't gotten it to work since the first day i had it. my 700p won't recognize it, my dell 700m won't recognize it, my uncle's new hp computer won't recognize it, and my sandisk usb reader won't recognize it. how can i format this thing to get back to square one if nothing will even recognize it?? i'm lost here. worked for a day, then i copied a file from my laptop onto it, and it never worked again. can't even "view" it from any device i've tried so far, or format it for that matter.... help
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyNale
    i've got the adata 4gb sd and i haven't gotten it to work since the first day i had it. my 700p won't recognize it, my dell 700m won't recognize it, my uncle's new hp computer won't recognize it, and my sandisk usb reader won't recognize it. how can i format this thing to get back to square one if nothing will even recognize it?? i'm lost here. worked for a day, then i copied a file from my laptop onto it, and it never worked again. can't even "view" it from any device i've tried so far, or format it for that matter.... help
    It could be a defective card ... I'd return it. I had the same thing happen with an A-Data card. The first day it didn't work, but then it worked the next day, and then it was mostly working, but I don't want any question about reliability. I wound up testing another A-Data as well as a Transcend. The second A-Data card worked perfectly, but having run comparison tests between the Transcend and A-Data, at least on my equipment (my 700p and my Lexar JumpDrive Trio), the Transcend was reliably faster (and it has yet to give me a moment of being unrecognized). That's why I kept the Transcend and returned both A-Data cards.
    just called adata to set up a rma. gonna return the 4gb for another one and hopefully that works. i spent 90 bucks on this thing and now it is out of the store return policy...
    ripped from SD - 4GB Patriot 133x SD card $79 - $30 MIR plus ship. Expires 08/05/06

Edit: 2 day ship was 7.21 via Airborne.

http://www.slickdeals.net/#p7892
    http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4782009
    http://image.ak.outpost.com/art/reba...009_080306.pdf

(I'm assuming it will work, if it doesn't don't blame me).

enjoy
    ok... i got the Transcend 4gb card and my 700p recognized it immediately. I took it home and now my Dell recognizes it but when I try to do anything with it, it freezes. When I try to add stuff to it via hotsync, it goes nuts and my hotsync loses it's connection. What the hell?
    i'm surprised your dell recognizes a 4gb card. i have a 700m and it will not recognize it at all. i have to use a sandisk usb 2.0 reader if i want to use the card right off the laptop. kind of a PITA. maybe putting it in my laptop damaged the card somehow? since you are having similar issues with yours... (note to self: do NOT insert the new SD card in laptop, lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    So in my final testing 32K cluster sizes seem to offer the best performance for both cards.

To do the formatting you will need a USB card reader.

from a dos prompt:
    4GB card:
    format /FS:FAT32 /a:32K g: (replace g: with the mounted drive letter of your card reader)

2GB card:
    format /FS:FAT /a:32K g: (replace g: with the mounted drive letter of your card reader)
    Why is the 2GB card formatted as FAT instead of FAT32? I have a treo 700p and I thought FAT32 would be faster than FAT. Can anybody comment on this?

Thanks,

Al
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Why is the 2GB card formatted as FAT instead of FAT32? I have a treo 700p and I thought FAT32 would be faster than FAT. Can anybody comment on this?

Thanks,

Al
    FAT32 can actually be slower than FAT. FAT32 uses 32bits to track each storage cluster while FAT uses either 16bits or 12bits to track each storage cluster. It's still a minuscule amount of data being read or written, so the difference really shouldn't be noticeable, however given the software stack currently on the Treo 700p, there is a significant difference in writing data in FAT32 format versus FAT format. Hopefully the first update fixes this imbalance and makes the FAT32 file handling much more efficient, but until then, if you have up to a 2GB SD card, it is highly recommended that you use the FAT format for performance reasons.
    So when I get this replacement 4gb card, how should I go about formatting it? Should I use the 700p to format it? Just want to make sure I don't mess it up somehow...