Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    So in my final testing 32K cluster sizes seem to offer the best performance for both cards.

To do the formatting you will need a USB card reader.

from a dos prompt:
    4GB card:
    format /FS:FAT32 /a:32K g: (replace g: with the mounted drive letter of your card reader)

2GB card:
    format /FS:FAT /a:32K g: (replace g: with the mounted drive letter of your card reader)
    To give you an idea of how much space is lost, I transferred all the data from my 4K cluster Transcend 4GB card to one formatted with 32K clusters.

4K clusters:
    -----------
    291,282,944 bytes free

32K clusters:
    -------------
    270,958,592 bytes free

So I lost 20MB to quadruple the write performance. This is a tradoff that I am willing to live with.
    forgive my ignorance, but what does Wrt32bit mean?
    Hey, Brandorr: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=118834

I'll try a different cluster size when I receive the replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    forgive my ignorance, but what does Wrt32bit mean?
    I think it literally writing 32 bits of data. Not sure though.. (It seems to be a tiny write)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    To give you an idea of how much space is lost, I transferred all the data from my 4K cluster Transcend 4GB card to one formatted with 32K clusters.

4K clusters:
    -----------
    291,282,944 bytes free

32K clusters:
    -------------
    270,958,592 bytes free

So I lost 20MB to quadruple the write performance. This is a tradoff that I am willing to live with.
    If I recall correctly with the original NVFS on the Treo 650s, data took up gargantuan amounts of RAM. So, folks transferring from a 600 to 650 couldn't get all their data on a 650. Palm fixed the handling of data to be like the 600 and other previous models. What they did was make NVFS access data in 4k clusters instead of the 32k clusters it originally made to chunk data... thus all data in RAM occupied less space. So, your formating of the card did this in reverse... making 4k clusters into 32k clusters, correct? It appears you had nearly 1GB of your 4GB card occupied and then found that an additional 20MB was taken after the format. I would think if someone had a lot of files (rather than, say, 4 or 5 movies) occupying 1GB of their 4GB card that this process could conceivably eat up a LOT more space than the 20MB you lost. 20MB isn't a small amount if in RAM, but on a 4GB card it's pretty minute to get a huge gain in card access speeds. In that way, I can see why you did this. Can anyone comment on this issue... potentially losing a lot more space on the card depending on how many files you have on it? Can you provide a rough guesstimate of the number of files on your 4GB card? Thanks for posting this info, very interesting.
    3,793 files.

My take on this is that you are right about the 650 onboard NVFS issues. Keep in mind one thing; the space on the 650 was very limited.

The amount of capacity that you lose with a given data set is fixed. Generally one moves to a larger capacity card because they have started working with larger files rather than a boatload of 1K files.

(You'd need 4 million 1K files to equal 4GB of data). If I had this type of data set, I would definately go for a 1K cluster size.

My data is mixed blend of Office docs, MP3s, backupbuddy backup sets, applications, newsfeeds, photos and video (from Treo), applications, and a handful of feature movies.

(There are alot of small files, because I backup the Treo quite frequently, and blazer and quicknews generate a ton of them).
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    For those of you waiting for a deal on a 4GB SD card, the Transcend is available for $85 (or $65 after the $20 rebate) at Outpost.com
    You better grab it quick. Transcend has discontinued manufactoring this card, in preparation for the upcoming wave of HDSD high capacity cards.

I've been digging, and I can't find any information on the electrical specs. According to the market material I've found these aren't supposed to be backward compatible with existing card readers. If this is just a result of FAT32, or electric differences is yet to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600
    For those of you waiting for a deal on a 4GB SD card, the Transcend is available for $85 (or $65 after the $20 rebate) at Outpost.com

Good find! I thought newegg had a good deal for $69 after a $30 rebate, looks like Fry's got em beat...
    Just ordered a 4GB SD 150X TRANSCEND from outpost.com

I'll be posting speed results soon... Total with overnight shipping was $102.69. They got newegg beat with shipping too! Newegg = $18.28 overnight and Outpost.com = $9.64.
    Has anyone found 4GB cards that DON'T work on 700p?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Very thorough review of SD (and CF) card performance here:
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=3173
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600
    I took this deal but I don't think I'm getting the $20 rebate (didn't see it today). The card is retailing at Fry's for $99. Based on this thread it seems these cards are working well on the 700p. Thanks!
    I got the Transcend 4GB from newegg for $99 w the $30 rebate, and it's working great so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky76
    I got the Transcend 4GB from newegg for $99 w the $30 rebate, and it's working great so far.
    Thanks for the additional confirmation Sparky.
    I've been using the card for over a week now and I'm very happy with it. I use it mostly to hold audio books and the performance has been very good. I haven't done an official speed test yet but with using Card Reader it took about R0 mins to transfer 2GB of mp3 and video.
    Is this card basically "Plug and Play" or was any special formatting necessary?
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus
    Is this card basically "Plug and Play" or was any special formatting necessary?
    As I recall, the Transcend 4GB card came formatted with 32K clusters, but you should double-check that with a card reader using the "chkdsk" command. I did a bunch of testing with my card to verify that 32K clusters were optimal speed-wise though, so I've formatted my card at least a dozen times by now. From the data that I recorded, it did seem that it actually performed slightly better after I went through various formats, but I'm not positive that it's actually attributable to the re-formatting ... YMMV
    Thank you tc600, I will run the chkdsk on it. I was hoping to avoid having to go through too much since my knowledge of clusters and FAT16/32 has become a little foggy lately. I did read the discussion earlier in this thread and can't say honestly that I understood it all.
    Last edited by copernicus; 07/26/2006 at 11:03 PM.