Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    i second that. Any news on 4Gb cards on that series?

Me, three.

Not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsmark
    My computer simply won't read my 4 gig SD card (Patriot). The 700p reads it fine, even stores data to it, but I can't hotsync to it. Anyone else have this issue? Anyone find a solution to it?

Edit: Also, on my Quick Install the card shows negative memory.
    Adamsmark,

My computer will NOT read teh 4G card either, but I had to get a card reader that would. Transcend sells a multicard reader that works really well and my computer reads it every time.

Regards,

Jim
    The only issue I now have is that my Quick Install shows negative memory. That doesn't affect syncing. It's just weird. Also, I can't sync Audible files--but I think I understand that issue (I'll just use their bandwidth).
    Blogging at Agabus.com

Palm V > Vx > Clie Peg T615C > T3 > Clie TH55 > T3 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p & T3
    I too recently bought a Patriot Memory 4GB Extreme Performance 133x Secure Digital Card from Fry's Electronics for $89.99 but my cruddy card reader (also from Fry's and super cheap) reads the card as 980mbs. I formatted the card with both FAT and FAT32, and it still showed up as 980mbs.

From what I have seen/read/heard some memory cards just dont work with cards of this size so now I'm off to get a card reader. Can't wait to get it either since I just bought a iRiver FM transmitter for listening to music in my truck. I love how affordable these SD and other memory cards are!
    In regards to either Audio or Video writing DIRECTLY to SD (ie SoundRec, Audacity, Camcorder, etc) has anyone had tried any of these apps directly to their 4gb cards & are happy with the results? I have a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II which I used to record 3-hour seminars on my treo 600 (directly to SD) & it worked perfectly. But on the 700p, the Ultra II records horribly (yes, I tried various bit rates). I did format the SanDisk Ultra on the 700p but that didn't help. It now looks like storage is the only thing I could use this card for. I also have a Lexar Platinum 1GB that is 40x & it is records perfectly on the 700p. I'd like hear from those who record either audio or video directly to their 4GB SD & mention what apps & cards you use.
    On Monday evening, I bought an A-Data card from NewEgg for just about $90 shipped. It arrived Wednesday morning. I didn't pay for any special shipping...just ground.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Heads up

How is this card? it looks like a nice deal.

RITEK Ridata 4GB 150X Secure Digital Memory Card (SD Card 4 GB), Model SDCR4G-SILV, FREE STANDARD SHIPPING

http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/ri...l-sd-card.html
    Last edited by Camel; 06/29/2006 at 07:16 PM.
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Just ordered the Transcend 4GB X150 card from Newegg for $70.00 after $30 mail-in rebate and including free 3-day shipping (but not including NJ state tax of about $6).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...MP=OTC-17exta6

Will let you know how it goes when I get it!

Neo
    just got the transcend 4Gb for 108..give or take a few $'s. Its working great & i just downloaded Hostil onto it..it's playing with a few hiccups here and there using TCPMP. My only problem is that the Palm Quick install & the program FileZ views it as -354680832 Bytes free as of last hotsync. The memory viewer thats in the Palm OS views it as it is. Anyone know what the problem is? Loving the 700p by the way
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoNeopet
    Just ordered the Transcend 4GB X150 card from Newegg for $70.00 after $30 mail-in rebate and including free 3-day shipping (but not including NJ state tax of about $6). Will let you know how it goes when I get it!

Neo
    Same card I got, works great I thought that was a great price as long as i remember to send in the rebate, which wont be the first time. I don't even know where I found Newegg from but i love it
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I ordered from newegg, but did not see a rebate form. Was it suppossed to be with the card?
    Ok I am going to get this a-data 4gb from new egg. What is the best card reader?
    Just an FYI - got the phone yesterday and the 4GB Transcend card works perfectly so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctoss
    I ordered from newegg, but did not see a rebate form. Was it suppossed to be with the card?
    It was only for the Transcend & one other card I saw on NewEgg.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by doctoss
    http://images10.newegg.com/UploadFil...ly0706gw16.pdf
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Why is nobody using mmc cards? They're faster and more durable.
    Quote Originally Posted by d1hamby
    Why is nobody using mmc cards? They're faster and more durable.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...83&postcount=9
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    If you don't like dealing with rebates see below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141037

PQI in my exp very good, have had a 1g with No issues just brought the 4g
    I am using the Transcend with no reliability issues. Reads are wicked fast, one issue though, write performance is horrible. Could others post results from their SD cards? (In particular 4GB cards)

I ran "CardSpeed" (Also known as VFS CardSpeed) and these are my results:

4GB Transcend x150 Fat32:
    --------------------------
    Wrt32bit: 11bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 12977 bytes/sec
    Read8KB:3276800 bytes/sec

For comparison here are the results of a Sandisk UltraII 2GB card:

Fat16:
    ------
    Wrt32bit: 295 bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 32768 bytes/sec
    Read8KB: 3276800 bytes/sec

FAT32:
    -------
    Wrt32bit: 302 bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 33436 bytes/sec

Overall I am happy that I have a 4GB card, nd pretty much can't go back to being limited to 2GB, but the write speed is awful. This is only bearable because I have read heavy data access patterns. This may just be an issue with FAT32 4GB cards. (I hope not though)

This may also be why Palm doesn't advertise 4GB card support. (The Transcend is cheap enough, if you look you can get them for around $150)
    Last edited by Brandorr; 07/08/2006 at 12:34 AM.
    Update: I've been doint a little digging and a little experimentation.

By changing the cluster sizes, I have been able to get different performance results. (Note the above results where with default cluster sizes)

4GB Transcend x150 Fat32 32K clusters:
    --------------------------------------
    Wrt32bit: 24 bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 43258 bytes/sec
    Read8KB:3276800 bytes/sec

For comparison here are the results of a Sandisk UltraII 2GB card:

Fat16 4K cluster size (default):
    ------------------------------
    Wrt32bit: 295 bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 32768 bytes/sec

Fat16 32K cluster size:
    ----------------------
    Wrt32bit: 289 bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 195629 bytes/sec

FAT32 32K clusters:
    -------------------
    Wrt32bit: 283 bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 194180 bytes/sec
    Read8KB: 2912711 bytes/sec

FAT32 64K clusters:
    -------------------
    Wrt32bit: 302 bytes/sec
    Wrt8KB: 203212 bytes/sec

Please note the FAT32 driver uses the following default cluster sizes:
    FAT16: 4K
    FAT32: 4K

Understand the implications. If you increase the cluster size, you will waste space for those files smaller than the cluster size. A 1K file written to a 32K cluster formatted filesystem will lose 31K of space.

I am still experimenting. But the thing to note is that the Transcend card can be sped up, if you are willing to give up some filesystem space efficiency.
    Last edited by Brandorr; 07/08/2006 at 12:39 AM.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast