1.    #1  
    Wanted an unbranded, factory warranty GSM phone. Bought one off of ebay, advertised as unlocked, unbranded, brand new. Of course, I paid a premium for unbranded over what else is on ebay, but it was less than palm. Got it yesterday, it looks new, I've been having fun learning! But, this morning at 0700, an alert went off, woke me up. Would a new phone have an alert set? It might have been an alarm, but I'm pretty sure it said alert (I was asleep, remember!). I can't find anything in the calendar, or anywhere else that shows anything was set, except a "please register your phone", which I did yesterday. I know I didn't do anything that could have set an alarm or an alert, at least I don't think so.

Anything I can check to see if this phone was used before, or where that alert came from? I did the 1.20 ENA update yesterday (after spending hours reading the threads on the topic), would an alarm have survived that? Will Palm tell me if the phone has been used before, or would they know? If it has, I'll go after the seller.

This forum is great. I've spent hours reading threads, and will try very hard to research before I ask any RTFM questions!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    It may have simply been a "don't forget to register!" reminder. Look in your task list.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    4ster is right about the alert. Might want to check your text msgs too; carriers have a tendency to send SMS spam.

As for checking to see if it's new, I forget the exact code the GSM carriers, but ##786# from the phone screen will show you some interesting facts, such as lifetime voice minutes used, lifetime data KB used, whether it's a refurb, etc. I want to say it's *#786# for Cingular; search for "786" or "RTN" and you should find the right code for your carrier.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  4.    #4  
    Where would I do such a search - forums, carrier, ? I've seen codes like this mentioned in several threads, is there a list somewhere?

And stupid question #1a - I've read the manual, can't find anywhere to check how much memory I have left. Since I want to start installing (with UM, and a back up first, thanks for the many posts on that), guess I need to be able to monitor my memory. I understand that is why people use custom ROMs, to free memory? Not going there right now, but eventually.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    I just did a quick search (all forums) on "RTN." Here ya go:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=rtn.

I think Shadowmite's site (www.shadowmite.com) has extensive lists for the various carriers, but I can't check it right now since my employer's installation of WebSense blocks it as a "hacking" site.

Re: checking memory, go to App > Info from the Applications screen to see how much you have. There are also a ton of must-have freeware utilities (KeyGuardTime+, FileZ, etc.) that give you this info.

Re: custom ROMs, they don't directly give you more storage space since ROM and storage memory are two different creatures. You can use a custom ROM to indirectly free more storage memory by deleting a ROM app you don't use and adding an app you'd otherwise have in storage memory. For example, if you always use PTunes and never use RealPlayer, you could create a custom ROM that doesn't include RealPlayer but does include PTunes (assuming it'll fit). As a result, PTunes isn't taking up storage memory.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I think the codes you speak of are called "hash codes," and can be found here:

http://mytreo.net/treofaq/HashCodes
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    for unlocked GSM use #*786
    VisorDeluxe -> VisorPhone -> Treo180g -> Treo270 -> Treo600 -> Treo650 [GSM T-Mo]
  8.    #8  
    For the help. Found the codes, phone says 19 minutes, which I put on. So, either it had a zero out reset, or it really is a new phone. If it alarms again tomorrow, I'll look harder at what it says.

The scary part - I've started loading programs. I sure hope I have one of the stable ones.