Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since so many people want to get both SERO and treo 700p at the same time, I have to mention this weird and hidden charge again, although it's already mentioned serveral times in different threads.

The phone coming with the SERO plan need to stay at your hand for at least 180 days. If you give or sell it out and the phone is activated within this period, you will be charged $250 by inphonics.com without any notice, which is different from the early termination fee ($200) from Sprint.

The only exception for this penalty is if you order the plan from sprint directly(not from sprint.com/sero). The SERO is brought to you by inphonics, which is a cell phone retailing agent. The whole point of SERO plan is clearing out Sprint old and expensive phones.

Also, if you terminate your SERO plan within 180 days, you need pay both $250 from inphonics and $200 from Sprint.

You can get more information from here

Below is some information from inphonics custermer service:
    Your price paid includes... discount of $250... provided by agent...
    By accepting this equipment discount, you agree that for a period of 181 days after your new line of service is activated, you
    -will pay your balance...
    -will not disconnect this line...
    -will not transfer this equipment to another Sprint PCS line of service (emphasis added)
    -will not...
    -will not change your Sprint PCS service rate plan to a lower monthly service rate.
    If these conditions are not met, you herein provide authorization for a $250 reimbursement to be charged to your credit card by this Sprint PCS authorized agent without need for further approval. (emphasis original)

The "terms and conditions" in sprint SERO page is broken which doesn't mean you have an excuse, you need email them to get a copy to read carefully.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
  2.    #2  
    Below is a chat session with inphonic agents.

---------------------------------------------------------

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
    You have been connected to Nisha .
    Nisha : Welcome to our Wireless World!
    ******: hi
    Nisha : Hi ******, how are you today?
    ******: I have a question about my order
    ******: I am fine, thanks
    Nisha : Not a problem, I will help you with that ******.
    Nisha : Thank you for contacting Sprint today. It will take me a moment to access your order, thanks for your patience....
    Nisha : How may I help you?
    ******: Somebody told me I have to use my cell phone for at least 180 days even I want to buy a new cell phone.
    ******: II am not talking about change my plan, I just want to buy a new sprint phone in the near future.
    Nisha : Not a problem you can buy that.
    Nisha : There is no problem with regards to that.
    ******: bCan you give or sell out my current phone.
    ******: ccan I give or sell out my current phone?
    ******: ssorry for the typo
    Nisha : Not a problem.
    ******: are you sure? Because the SERO plan is something special.
    Nisha : You can have a new phone but you will have to be with the current contract.
    ******: I know, does the current contract require me own my current phone for at least 6 month? Because the "terms and conditions" page is broken, I can't see it.
    Nisha : Yes you have to hold the phone for 6 months.
    ******: Ii see, so I can't give or sell them out within 6 months. that's bad.
    Nisha : I am sorry, you will not be able to do so.
    ******: another question is, will you chage any fee if I buy a new cell phone from Palm.com?
    ******: I want to buy the latest treo 700p from Palm.
    Nisha : If you are unable to stay with the contract for 181 days you will be charged Equipment Discount provision of $250.
    ******: I see, what I want to know is If I keep the phone unactive and then buy a new phone from palm.com, will you charge the provisioning fee ($35)?
    Nisha : Yes we will be charging that amount as the phone you receive will be already active.
    ******: ok, thanks. Anyway to waive the $35 fee?
    Nisha : I would request you to contact Sprint as the fee will be charged by them.
    ******: I see, no more questions. Thanks, Have a good day
    Nisha : Your welcome.
    Nisha : Thanks again for contacting Sprint today. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to login to WhereIsMyOrder.com for another chat session, or to check the status of your order.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    All the more reason to wait until June 30 to see if the 700p shows up on the SERO website until you order a plan through them.
    FWIW, this didn't make much sense to me. It makes sense that Inphonic gets a commission/kickback/whatever from Sprint for getting someone to open up a new line, but it didn't make much sense that they should care what you did with the phone you got from them through this offer afterwards. So long as you keep the new line that you activated through Inphonic open for 6 months, I don't see why there should be any issue with reselling the phone itself.

So I went to try to do an online chat, but it looks like that's only available if you've already made a purchase. I then called their 800 number and got through to a person (in America, BTW). Right off the bat they asked me for the sprint email address but I told them I just had a question or two and they were fine with that. I asked them the following questions...

Me: Could I get the Treo 700p through the SERO deal?
    Rep: No, that phone isn't available yet (doh, I didn't think to ask them if they knew if it would be available through them soon).

Me: Can I get a phone through SERO and then get a Treo 700p on my own and transfer it over?
    Rep: Yes

Me: What can I then do with the phone I got through SERO?
    Rep: It's yours to keep.

Me: Can I give it away or sell it?
    Rep: Sure.

I then clarified that I had heard that I couldn't do that and she again reiterated that it wouldn't be a problem. I clarified that she was with Inphonic (when they first took me off of hold I think she identified herself as someone from Sprint) and she said she was.

So, there you have it. Do not take this information as gospel and then if you get charged for reselling a SERO phone come complaining to me. I'm just providing the info I was given. I may call back again to get a different rep and ask again. If anyone else would like to do the same and report back that would be greatly appreciated.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I should do short-term. I've got a 700p on order from Palm. I don't know if I should go ahead and sign up with SERO so that I can possibly activate the 700p right off the bat with the SERO plan or if I should wait a bit (in case they get the 700p - I might like to get my wife one as well) and just activate my Palm ordered 700p onto my existing line (I'm not under contract) and get the SERO plan later and do the ESN swap.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  5.    #5  
    I am pretty sure I am right. Scott, you can call back again and mention the $250 penalty and 6 month term. They told me same thing as what they told you at the beginning, but after I mentioned the $250 penalty charge, the lady suddenly realized something and went back to read the terms again, then she told me the phone has to be inactive or active in the current plan for 6 month, which is listed clearly in the terms and conditions.

I received my treo 650 with the SERO plan yesterday, and I am planing to return it tomorrow. I think the Palm.com $29.99+ $15.00 is better for me to get treo 700p($649-$100-$150-$100 developer discount, free shipping and no tax, free 1gb SD card, 7PM nights and weekends.)

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Btw, the $250 charge is not applicable to the device you purchased, unless you activate it on another Sprint line. There is no reference to a charge for exchanging or upgrading a phone. As a matter of fact, I purchased two phones on Sero plans, and requested that my numbers from Verizon be ported. When the phones arrived with new numbers, I was told to bring them to a local store. When I got to the store, I was told that to port the phones it would be easier to exchange the phones I purchased online for new ones from the store. I was also told that I could upgrade when the 700's came in, and if none were available, I could have a "house" phone until they arrived.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3putt
    Btw, the $250 charge is not applicable to the device you purchased, unless you activate it on another Sprint line. There is no reference to a charge for exchanging or upgrading a phone. As a matter of fact, I purchased two phones on Sero plans, and requested that my numbers from Verizon be ported. When the phones arrived with new numbers, I was told to bring them to a local store. When I got to the store, I was told that to port the phones it would be easier to exchange the phones I purchased online for new ones from the store. I was also told that I could upgrade when the 700's came in, and if none were available, I could have a "house" phone until they arrived.
    Sure, no charge as long as the device is inactive.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    cellneuron, I think the plan you're referring to only has 200 minutes. So, you're paying $15/month more, getting 300 less minutes, and aren't getting free mobile-to-mobile (and possibly some other things SERO provides), right?

The $250 charge for someone else activating your SERO phone still doesn't make sense to me. I suppose I could play it safe and just order the free phones and keep them on hand until 6 months passes or I find more evidence of people ebaying their SERO phones before 6 months and not getting hit. Chances are, 6 months from now the free phone will still be worth $50 on ebay. If I was to buy a more expensive phone now (e.g., A900) I'm probably looking at $150 profit at most now and probably a lot less 6 months from now.

But cellneuron, if you read through the chat log you posted, I could see how someone could misinterpret what you were asking when you mentioned selling the phone you got through SERO. It could sound like you were talking about shutting down the new line and selling the SERO phone. Again, I see how they need you to keep the new line active, but I'm still not clear as to why their kickback from Sprint would be tied to the phone never being activated by someone else.

I certainly could be wrong, but I'd still love to see others call in and post back with the responses they get.
  9.    #9  
    Right, the $29.99 has only 200 mins, w/o mobile to mobile. Because of the very poor signal in stanford, only one or two of my friend use Sprint, so mobile to mobile is not that necessary to me. I need the EV-DO.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    That's cool. I'm on a family plan with two lines now, so I'd be looking to open up two SERO accounts and the mobile-to-mobile (for me and my wife) is a feature I definitely want.
    okay let me just see if i understand this correctly.

If I take the free phone from the SERO website and return it to get the sprint 700P at a corp store, I will be charged 250$?

Also if I do return the phone, will I get the 700P for the 399.99 price?
    1. The $250 charge comes if you cancel the new line in the first 180 days. They do not track the device. Just keep the account open and you're good.

2. If you get a SERO phone, you have only one return option: send it back to the Imphonics folks. You cannot return it to Sprint. As bad as the communication from Imphonics is, the explanation about the return issue is crystal clear.
    How about getting a cheap phone and a silly plan (Im new to sprint) then going home and changing that plan to SERO.

Once I get a 700p doing an ESN swap? Will I be charged anything if its within that penalty window?

Thats my current plan of attack but if Im going to get banged for an extra $250 to do an ESN swap feggedaboutit.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  14.    #14  
    Ok, ok guys, my bad.
    you are absolutely free to swap your phone within SERO plan without penalty. Only two exceptions:

1. You terminate your SERO PLAN with 6 months. You need pay $250 plus $200.

2. Your original SERO phone is activated in another PCS plan within 6 months, you will be changed $250.00.

Have a good night.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    I received my treo 650 with the SERO plan yesterday, and I am planing to return it tomorrow. I think the Palm.com $29.99+ $15.00 is better for me to get treo 700p($649-$100-$150-$100 developer discount, free shipping and no tax, free 1gb SD card, 7PM nights and weekends.)
    I was contemplating about the SERO deal for a while but decided against it today. With my employee discount I would come out less than $35/mo, similar to SERO plan if I want the 7pm free nighttime calling. I am with cellneuron on this one for the above reasons. How do you get the initial $100 off? what discount is this?
    Last edited by oski; 05/24/2006 at 12:34 AM.
    Treo 700p--> New to Treo Pro (SERO)
    GO BEARS!!!
    :RANT ON:

Jebezzus H. Cristo - all this over a friggin phone! I'm just sick of it already. Tomorrow I'm heading off to buy two cups and a string - they'll hold up better than Sprint's crappy phones, and I won't be stuck paying "airtime fees" for phones that don't work.

I've been with Sprint since they were a 1-pony tower in my area, and they've been adding more and more restrictions, charges, what-have-you that have less and less basis in reality. Yesterday I learned that *now* they expect us to cough up $55 every time they honor manufacturer warranty coverage on "their" phones (I am *NOT* talking about insurance!). I have yet to see that in the fine print, but likely it's somewhere they can legally point to, as several reps insist it exists. This SERO plan has too many black holes for Sprint to exploit and screw your life up - it's part and parcel of that company. For all the talk in these forums of SERO, you can bet Sprint's laying out a trap to mess you about. Probably no better or worse than the other member of the cellular cabal, but it doesn't excuse them.

The more garbage they lay on to their contracts to screw us, the more I'm tempted to just lay back without a contract forever, even if I don't get a "deal." The freedom to hop away from these arrogant b*stards at will is quickly becoming the top priority, and worth whatever premium it takes..

Honestly, I got four (4) phone solicitations from Sprint*today* messing up my workflow, all offering hundreds of dollars if I'd commit to a contract. If they were *REALLY* serious about having us as customers they wouldn't work so friggin' hard to stick it to us with ridiculous arrangements and fees that have no corralary in any other industry. They court you and beg until you move your number over - then they work like hell to make you hate them and leave - *then* when you are so sick of them you will pay anything to get away they offer candy and flowers and money and beg you to come back to them. Used to be a joke, but it's not funny anymore - it's sick. I just want to pay a fair bill and be left alone - and - oh yeah - have phones that function reasonably for a year or two after I buy them.

Can you imagine Ford expecting you to pay about 10% of the price of your automobile *every* time you have the gall to bring it in for a warranty issue they are responsible for? Sprint (who Palm claims to have taken on the warranties) seems to think it's a justified charge. I have a different opinion.

:RANT OFF:
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    so i called sprint today and asked:

Me: I am curious about your Sprint service and am thinking about switching, but I have a few questions

Rep: Okay what questions do you have?

Me: I was wondering; if I were to order a free phone from the SERO website and then return it to a corporate store could I get the Treo 700P for a new contract price?

Rep: No you can not do that because if you return the phone you have to mail it back to the warehouse it came from.

Me: Okay fair enough, but how would I go about getting the 700P and the SERO plan?

Rep: The way that you can get the 700P and the SERO plan is to call the morning of the 28th and ask for the phone and that plan. Once you pay for the phone it will be shipped with free overnight shipping the next day.

Me: Oh okay thank you alot and I will call back on the 28th.

Rep: Thank you for calling Sprint and have a nice day.

So it looks like I can get SERO and the 700P by just calling
    What number did you call? It sounds like you called Sprint, not Inphonic (who manages the SERO sales). If Inphonic is going to have the 700p available on the 28th, that would probably be the way to go as it would most likely be discounted from the $649 (679?) price somewhat.

cellneuron, I still think #2 is incorrect, but I wouldn't blame anyone for playing it safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by oski
    I was contemplating about the SERO deal for a while but decided against it today. With my employee discount I would come out less than $35/mo, similar to SERO plan if I want the 7pm free nighttime calling. I am with cellneuron on this one for the above reasons. How do you get the initial $100 off? what discount is this?
    Your plan has 500 minutes and Unlimited Vision for less than 35 bucks?

What kind of discount do you have? Cellneuron's plan is clearly inferior to SERO but is good enough for him.
  20.    #20  
    Just sent back my treo 650 to inphonic via Fedex ground, and also cancelled SERO service (within 14 days). Bye bye SERO.

I am safe now.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast