Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    What number did you call? It sounds like you called Sprint, not Inphonic (who manages the SERO sales). If Inphonic is going to have the 700p available on the 28th, that would probably be the way to go as it would most likely be discounted from the $649 (679?) price somewhat.

cellneuron, I still think #2 is incorrect, but I wouldn't blame anyone for playing it safe.
    Yes, what number did you call? I have a hard time believing they will have this thing on SERO with the limited supplies they are bound to have.

I already have Sprint but have been out of contract for several years. I was thinking of ordering a new line of service via PALM with a new phone number and two year contract so I can get the discounts/rebates applying to a new line. That would make the price $399. Then after I activate the 700p, I plan on cancelling the line I currently have for the 650 which I can do since it is out of contract. Then mailing in the 650 for the $150 rebate. That would get the TCO down to $250. I'd have a new number but for that big a discount I think I can live with it.

The only potential problem I see is if the $399 price is for a "new customers" only as opposed to "new lines" of service. If that is the case I could cancel my 650 first service first, then order the new phone via PALM and then mail the 650 in.

Anyone try this when they upgraded to the 650?
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    FWIW I signed up for SERO in January with a Treo 650. I called Sprint today asking them specifically if I would be charged any penalties, early termination fees, etc for selling my Treo 650 to someone else, having them activate the phone on Sprint, and upgrading to the Treo 700p. They stated emphatically the only charge would be a $36 ESN swap fee. They were well acquainted with the SERO plan and the fact that Inphonic sold us the plan. I also asked if Inphonic could charge me anything either and she said the plan was sold via Sprint (you have to go thru their SERO website first) with Inphonic merely servicing the order. She said Sprint policy is that if the line remains open no penalty fees apply from Sprint or Inphonic, regardless of phone upgrade, selling the other phone, etc. I asked her to add a note to my account to this effect.

Now we all know misinformation abounds via Sprint CSRs, and by no means does this constitute the last word. However, if you are feeling nervous about selling the 650, getting a notation like this on your account might make you feel more comfortable.

My guess (and its just that) is that the contract wording from Inphonic when you bought it is just their standard list of penalties and that while if you went thru Wirefly you might be in trouble, but that going thru Sprint's website for SERO before getting rerouted thru inphonics site (which to the uninformed wasn't all that obvious) should give you some measure of comfort. I could be wrong, but at least I have a good bargaining chip if Inphonic tries to pull one over on me (which, believe me, I fully expect is possible from that company).
    i called 1-800-SPRINT1
    I'm not very familiar with inPhonics relationship to Sprint in regards to the SERO plan, but this sounds familiar to me from another experience I had.

A couple of years ago I was looking to get a v600 (which at the time was $300 through Cingular). I managed to find it with heavy rebates through Buy.com and decided to buy the phone, and a new plan through Buy.com. Thinking back I think they may have been working with inPhonics too (though I can't say for sure now). Anyway, when I got the phone I remember they included a whole bunch of literature with it in regards to the rebates and cancellation. One sheet of interest mentioned that if I was to cancel the plan within 6 months of activation I would get charged an extra $200 or so for the phone by the third-party making the deal (I'm thinking they can't enforce not changing phones on GSM since the plan is tied to the SIM and not the phone).

Basically imPhonics or whoever they are are subsidizing the cost of the phone beyond what the provider does with a new contract, and to protect that investment and whatever arrangement they have with the provider they need to throw that charge in to cover themselves and dissuade people from switching.

Fortunately I didn't have any major issues that would make me want to switch within the 6 months but it would seem that this is just one more example of "you get what you pay for". There seems to always be a catch whenever you buy into this sort of "deal".
    has anybody else noticed that the SERO plan details have changed?!? They treo 650 is back (along with the 6700), some phones are priced higher, the terms & conditions link is BROKEN, and there is no option to add insurance anymore! :-(

I'm gonna want insurance on my phone especially when i activate my 700p... the insurance would carry over right?
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs112
    has anybody else noticed that the SERO plan details have changed?!? They treo 650 is back (along with the 6700), some phones are priced higher, the terms & conditions link is BROKEN, and there is no option to add insurance anymore! :-(

I'm gonna want insurance on my phone especially when i activate my 700p... the insurance would carry over right?

when you recieve your phone, you have the option to activate lockline insurance within 30 days.

this is standard for Sprint
    You should also be able to add most other add-on options you may want.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12