Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. BSI
    does anyone know the scoop on using ACT! with 700P...I'm wanting to upgrade from the 600 but need to continue using ACT!

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSI
    does anyone know the scoop on using ACT! with 700P...I'm wanting to upgrade from the 600 but need to continue using ACT!

Thanks!
    I feel sorry for you that you are still using Act. I paid $99-129 a couple of times under the false hope that they actually had done something to merit an upgrade. Email functionality always was atrocious, the Palm add-on was laughable, etc.

Alas, I concluded a couple of years ago that Act's new owners were putting a very minimal amount of work into the program, and trying to milk the cow by getting people like me to pay $99 a year to upgrade just because. Falling for that twice was enough...

Recommend that you ditch the thing...
    Actually I am also still using the antique 600 with ACT!. I did have some workarounds and it does what I need. I asked this same question yesterday and HAGGAR mentioned that ACT! just introduced a new version of ACT! for Palm OS.

http://www.act.com/products/mobile/p..._afp_learnmore

I looks as if you will need to upgrade to Act! 2006 though - That is more than I want to deal with.

David
    Alas I too am using ACT as a contact manager with some 800 contact sorted by group. Did you get ACT to sync with the 700?
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    i used act 2000 and treo 600 for last several years. I use act for palm mainly because it offers grouping which I can't seem to find anywhere else. I upgraded to act 2006 and the new act for palm. It works ok. The only reason I upgraded was to be able to continue to use act for palm with the 700P. The original act for palm didn't work correctly with the 650 and won't work with the 700p completely as well. I expect the new version of act for palm to work fine with 700P. I will find out next week since by new unit is in transit.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidnotdave
    Actually I am also still using the antique 600 with ACT!. I did have some workarounds and it does what I need. I asked this same question yesterday and HAGGAR mentioned that ACT! just introduced a new version of ACT! for Palm OS.

http://www.act.com/products/mobile/p..._afp_learnmore

I looks as if you will need to upgrade to Act! 2006 though - That is more than I want to deal with.

David
    Well, I just looked at the screenshots, and it still looks like they have not done ANY meaningful updates in the past 4-5 years - yet they still try to extract $100+ from you every year.

My advice is to stop throwing good money after bad and switch.
    check out companionlink professional. Works great with my blackberry and sync's to everything. So if you switch away from ACT companionlink will work with anything out there. Also, companionlink wrote the fisrt ACT to Palm link. Sharp company.
    Well I have received my 700p and after SYNC issues now have it running well. I installed SplashID and it seems to work perfectly. Next, I tackled my need for ACT!

I downloaded trials of both Act! 2006 and the NEW Act! for Palm OSv2 and did the installations. Low and behold, they work! I used to use a freeware program by the name of TreoNavSet that acted as a workaround for the 5-way situation with Act! - But alas, it is compatible with the Treo 600 only....

Does anyone know of a symilar program OR is the utility being updated?

Davidnotdave
  9. BSI
    Davidnotdave / frediev...how smooth was the upgrade to ACT 2006?...I've heard horror stories and been hesitant to upgrade from ACT 6.0 with 2000 contacts, because it does all I need...but I really need to upgrade from 600 to 700P....
    anyway to synch ACT 6.0 with 700P?...will Companionlink synch ACT 6.0 with 700P with 2006 ACT for Palm installed or with the 700P stand alone?
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    BSI as far as the upgrade is concerned it went very smooth, I experienced no glitches. Unfortunately when downloading information to your palm it does not go into the contacts on the 600 as well. I find this to be a big downgrade and hope to figure out a work around as well. I am getting my 700p on Monday, I expect it to work the same way.
    Act - what a blast from the past - I used it in 96 on my PalmPilot. I really haven't found a contact centric replacement for it - however if you just need to group contacts by company and be able to link one contact to another Agendus does that. There are several other contact managers out there they may do what you need as well - I believe DataViz has one as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by BSI
    Davidnotdave / frediev...how smooth was the upgrade to ACT 2006?...I've heard horror stories and been hesitant to upgrade from ACT 6.0 with 2000 contacts, because it does all I need...but I really need to upgrade from 600 to 700P....
    anyway to synch ACT 6.0 with 700P?...will Companionlink synch ACT 6.0 with 700P with 2006 ACT for Palm installed or with the 700P stand alone?

BSI:

I am having some issues with Act!2006 and the new Act! for Palm OSv2. I had it running OK and then it crashed my 700p. In tring to reinstall the Palm OSv2, I am getting an error that I cannot get around. I will contact Act! on monday and see if there is a workaround of solution yet.

Next, I will download CompanionLink and see if that will work with my Act! 6.0.

I will get back to you on this stuff early next week...

davidnotdave
  13. BSI
    thanks guys, please let us know how it goes
  14. BSI
    davidnotdave / frediev...any progress with ACT! and 700P?...anyone else using this combo?
    Hi frediev:

I am having LOTS of problems with the installation. The first time it went OK until I tried to use the Act! desktop - This gave me an error. Next, I cleared the program from the Treo and the PC and then reinstalled on the PC and again started the installation on the Treo, but it errored out again - did not understand the exact error and won't get a chance to "try" and work with Sage Act! support until Friday.

In the interim, I have moved my personal contacts and preparing to try CompanionLink to merge the info onto the Treo. This would not be the best solution, but I will have most of my DB and the info I need when in the field.

I am all set up and reday to do the installation, but my wife has my camera with both my SD cards. I will back up the current configuration on my 700p prior to testing CompanionLink just in case it is not successful and I need to reinstall the previous settings back to the 700p.

I fyou have any other solutions, I am willing to try them out.

davidnotdave
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    got my 700p on Monday. Downloaded everything Monday night. Everything went smooth. Used my palm and act all day today no problems. Used 2006 on desktop a little with no problems. So far so good.
  17. BSI
    frediev....in comparison to ACT! 6.0, how does ACT! 2006 work on your desktop? did it slow down your computer any?

davidnotdave....did you try Companionlink with ACT! 6.0 / 700P yet?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev
    got my 700p on Monday. Downloaded everything Monday night. Everything went smooth. Used my palm and act all day today no problems. Used 2006 on desktop a little with no problems. So far so good.
    I removed ACT! 2006; removed ACT! for Palm OSv2 - cleaned my laptop and started all over. SAME error (see below):

Ticks must be between dateTime.minValue.ticks and dateTime.maxValue.ticks

I will try and see if Sage can help here. Any ideas? Does it make use of the 5 way nav?

On another note, I installed and used the companionLink - Customer Service is EXCELLENT!

Sadly, the poor ability of the Palm Contacts to be able to search and let me use my 800+ contacts get info with the five way make it useless for me.

I really liked how ACT! could be used as a stand alone program so that my personal info and contacts could stay in the Palm apps.

I will see if I can get it to work...

Lastly, I downloaded a couple of trial programs with very good results. The first is LauncherX (new update) - works great! Sets home key to laucherX as it should be. Also lets you use a drop down menu to do a soft reset - NO taking off the battery cover each time! Some other nice features.

The other trial is BackupBuddyVFS - I used this since getting my Treo 600 and it was a life saver. This is the one that lets you back up to a SD card. In fact, today my 700p crsashed and I had to RESTORE from the card - sweet! I'll pay at the end of the trial for this one...

davidnotdave
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    i have used 700p for a week now and everything seems to be working fine. I had no set up problems and act 2006 works fine on the desktop. To open act on both desktop and handheld will take longer than previous versions other than that it seems ok. I operate with about 800 contacts. I am able to sinc fine. I am having a real problem setting up bluetooth sinc and using my phone as a modem. any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by frediev
    i have used 700p for a week now and everything seems to be working fine. I had no set up problems and act 2006 works fine on the desktop. To open act on both desktop and handheld will take longer than previous versions other than that it seems ok. I operate with about 800 contacts. I am able to sinc fine. I am having a real problem setting up bluetooth sinc and using my phone as a modem. any help would be appreciated.
    I have still have not gotten them to work correctly. I do have a couple of questions:

1. Does ACT! for Palm OSv2 work with the 5 way correctly for one handed use?
    2. Does ACT! for Palm OSv2 work as a seperate program and NOT reside in the contacts, memo and notes?

That was great on my 600 becasue I had ACT! set to launch from my calendar button and still had my personal notes and contacts on the palm.

davidnotdave
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast