Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Act for palm has limited function with osv2. When you sinc the information only goes into act it does not go into the contacts and calander which comes with the unit. I think this is a major disadvantage from the original act.
  2. BSI
    got the 700P...really nice upgrade from 600....I beamed my contacts from 600 to 700....then thought what-the-he**, I'll try to import ACT! for Palm and see what happens...it installed and synched with ACT! 6.0 desktop...any upgrades on ACT! desktop will synch with ACT! Palm but I can't edit ACT! on the 700 and if I click on the Notes section it will reset itself when I leave Notes...no problem on the ACT! calender...it basically does what I need for looking up contacts and dialing contact ph #'s from ACT! Palm itself...we will see how it goes
  3. BSI
    I forgot to mention ACT! for Palm took over my Phone Button and I can't correct it....I went to Preferences/Buttons but all I could do was switch the Phone App to another button...no big deal, but I'll look at getting LudusP to correct that...to clarify earlier post, the contacts I beamed from 600 to 700 were ones I had in Palm Address, not ACT!...also, the ACT! for Palm I installed on 700P was the one that came with desktop ACT! 6.0...it's a little shakey start but it does what I need and is better results than I expected...time will tell, but I'm gonna give it a chance before I risk upgrading to ACT! 2006...although frediv it is good to hear it's working OK for you....also, if anyone is still using the Treo 600 and ACT! 6.0/ACT! for Palm and you're not able to dial contact ph #'s direct from ACT!, there is a Telephony link/upgrade that will let you do that...
    I purchased Act about 2 years ago, and installed it both on my PC desktop and my Treo 650. I bought the bundled version that came with an installation for Palm PDAs from CompUsa that cost around $250.00 if I recall correctly. The version of Act on my desktop was very nice...very elaborate with lots of customization. The version of Act on my Treo 650 was very crude and simplistic, and was nothing like the desktop version. It was downright pathetic for the Palm Treo in my opinion, and was useless to me. I finally deleted the Act version from my Palm/Treo, but kept the desktop version intact.

Like others mentioned here, I keep getting renewal offers from Act every few months or so. I've been meaning to call them to have them stop sending me all their junk advertisements for upgrades. I refuse to spend any more money on Act.

I'm currently using DateBook 5 and Beyond Contacts/Outlook for my database management. If Act can ever refine their version for the Palm/Treo, it may be worth the effort, but I don't even care to try anymore at this point.

Casey
    [QUOTE=BSI]I forgot to mention ACT! for Palm took over my Phone Button and I can't correct it

You need a small app called "RESET PHONE" which will give you back the phone application when pressing the phone button. I encountered this same exact problem when installing Beyond Contacts, whereby this program hijacked my phone application. Do a search, and you will find "Reset Phone" which will solve your problem.

Casey
  6. BSI
    thanks Casey, I'll check it out...I agree on ACT! going downhill, but it does what I need and I just don't have time right now to switch yrs of contacts to something new
    Glad to see there are others like me. Sorry I didn't find this thread sooner. I have been using ACT for Palm (AFP) since the beta version with ACT 6. I recently tried the MotoQ for two weeks and the contact capabilities / available software was anemic in comparison. Found that ACT released the new version for Palm and decided to try it all on a 700P (still in trial period).

I downloaded trial versions of ACT 2006 (Ver 8+) and AFP 2.0. Easy conversion of old ACT data to new desktop version and error free installation onto the 700P (1600 contacts plus notes, tasks etc.). Called ACT today because there would be occasional (but repeatable) tasks that would cause a soft reset of the TREO. ACT advised me today that AFP 2.0 does not fully support the 700P. After release of ACT 2007 for desktops (taking orders now for Sept. shipment) they will update AFP to be compatable with ACT 2007 and the 700P. They have no plans for a WM5 version until at least next year.

I depend on ACT daily and want to continue to use it as I have not seen anything as powerful and integrates desktop / handheld as effectively (even with the bugs - it works for now). The latest ownwers of ACT (Sage) seem to be willing to update / upgrade the product (no I don't work for or have any interest in Sage). Certainly more so than the previous owners.
  8. BSI
    hscott...please keep us updated on how the new ACT! perform as time goes by.......and DavidnotDave...how's things going with Companionlink?..or whichever way you are using ACT!?? .....frediev?
    BSI
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    BSI:

I recently migrated from a 7135 Smartphone (Kyocera) to a 700P.

My am frustrated that I cannot dial directly from ACT! (ACT! for Palm OS 1.0). You mentioned that:
    "there is a Telephony link/upgrade that will let you do that..."

Can you tell me where to find this upgrade.

Mark
    Last edited by mn_voyageur; 07/28/2006 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Inserted ACT! Versions.
    I was an ACT user but left after 2005 bomb was released. I have the trial for 2007 and palm 2v. I have a few questions. How are you emailing out of ACT for Palm? Do you have your contacts in the ACT database an in the palm contacts? If not in the Palm DB then I guess caller id in not important to you. Also are you stuck with the one alarm that is in ACT? I have Lightwav and like custom ringers. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    My office only offers Act 6.0 which I installed several weeks ago. We don't have outlook only lotus notes.

Act 6.0 comes with Act Link for Palm OS. It also comes with Act for Palm which I installed on my 700p and it caused so many resets so I took it off. Act Link 2.0 is supposed to allow hotsyncing to a Palm device. But it would not work with the 700p, it will work with the 650tech support told me.

I found out that they They are forcing you to upgrade to Act 2006 or 2007 to use the 700p. This is a total ripoff IMO.

Act software has already been sold to several different companies, Symantec (I think), then Best software and now is owned by Sage software.
    If you do a search on Amazon.com for Act 2006 like I did and scroll down to the user reviews most are 1 star rated and there are over 50 reviews that say stay away from Act 2006! It's known to slow down many computers and has been very problematic. This is why my firms tech support said they wouldn't upgrade until these issues are resolved. Act 2007 is now shipping but I would hold off on shelling out money for 2007 as they never got 2006 right.

A call to Act tech support and they said to allow hotsyncing with the 700 one needs 2006 or 2007.

Another poster at another site also verified this too.

But the poster who posted the link above might have the solution for 6.0 or lower versions to synch with the700p. This Companion software site for $49.95 says it will work. I'm going to call them on Thurs and see if they have tested it with the 700p because I don't see it listed. If so, I'll buy it and report back.
    Last edited by Expidia; 09/28/2006 at 06:18 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Our office usese ACT!2005 for contact management. ACT!2005 is terrible and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone based on system performance. I prefer using Palm's built in apps rather then installing ACT for PalmOS. I use CompanionLink to sync ACT with the Palm Desktop then sync from there. My notes from ACT are added as memos to contacts and the calendar sync works great.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I heard back from support today: Thank you for your email. Yes, CompanionLink is compatible with this Palm 700p and
    Act.

Expidia: If I buy companion link and hotsync with the 700p I would eliminate palm desktop which I use for my calendar because I can't sync Act 6.0with my 700p. If i bought Companion Lin]km for $49.95 I could then enter appointments in Act or the palm device.

I also use card scan which synchronizes with Act.

Does anyone know if this combination will cause issues. The cardscan works fine now with Act.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    I have ACT 6.0 at work and I installed the Palm client from the box which seems to be version 1. We aren't upgrading to Act 2006 because of how slow the desktop client is.

Companionlink is looking better and better for me. My goal is to synchronize my work information from Act to my 700p without putting my personal information on the work computer. I will then sync at home and everything can sync there using the regular hotync manager. Can Companionlink be set up to just sync Act information to my Palm native databases? Also how are notes attached to contracts and how are additional fields mapped?
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb View Post
    I have ACT 6.0 at work and I installed the Palm client from the box which seems to be version 1. We aren't upgrading to Act 2006 because of how slow the desktop client is.

Companionlink is looking better and better for me. My goal is to synchronize my work information from Act to my 700p without putting my personal information on the work computer. I will then sync at home and everything can sync there using the regular hotync manager. Can Companionlink be set up to just sync Act information to my Palm native databases? Also how are notes attached to contracts and how are additional fields mapped?
    If you mean Palm client is the software that goes onto the 700p I think it will give you reset issues because it only works correctly with the 650 from what Act support had told me. The 700p also needs 2006 or 2007 to hotsync correctly.

If you need your other questions answered try emailing companion tech support. They responded back to me within hours!
    Last edited by Expidia; 10/01/2006 at 08:42 AM.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    This thread or the other recent Act thread should be combined . . .

Another poster pointed me to Companionlink.com They have two versions $49 and $79. The $79 version allows you more options plus syncing with Google calendar.
    It works great now with my Act 6.0 and the Treo 700p. Good free customer support too.

This solves the hotsync issue without having to use Act Link 2.0 which does not work without upgrading Act to 2006 or 2007 versions.

I'd rather give the money to Companionlink and screw Act and their forced upgrades. Funny how Companionlink can make a conduit sync program that works with all Act versions and handhelds but Act trys to force you to upgrade each time you change phones even after you shell out big bucks for their program.
    I have a Treo 700p and I have been using Palm and Adgendus to mange my personal contacts of approx. 200 people. For my business contacts I use Act 2007 on my laptop to manage approx. 9000 contacts(only a few business contacts are on my phone). I would like both my personal contacts and business contacts on my phone when it comes to birthday and other appoinments yet seperat when sending emails. With this many contacts for business would I be better off using Act for Palm for buisness and having my personal contacts go through Palm or Outlook to Adgendus? I dont' have to have all 9000 contacts on my phone. Is there a way to have only select contact sync? will my phone hold that many contacts. Will an Sd card hold them. I like the filtering and group aspect of Act for Palm. I don't like the fact that I can't email from the program though. I am happy with Agendus as well.

Thanks,
    Marty-
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12