Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I started this post to be the authoritative thread for experiences with Verizon cell signals on the 700p. My biggest complaint about the 650 (and there were many others) was the radio reception on the VZW network. Many techs admitted to me that the 650 did not have the best radio and all of my experiences with a multitude of phones confirmed this. On certain highways, my wife would have strong, usable signals and I was unable to make calls. The phone was virtually unusable in my office builiding while my current Moto e815 has only some small problems in the depths of the basement. At my house, the e815 is stellar while the 650 was hit or miss.

Sooooo, please, when you get your 700p, if you're on Verizon, post here and let us all know how this baby performs as an ordinary cell phone--arguably the most important aspect of any smartphone! Try to compare it to previous phones, especially the 650.
    Since the 700 has EVDO, it should have a newer CDMA chipset than 650. Newer chipsets tend to be mo betta than older chipsets for reception. Would be interesting to know if 700p CDMA chipset is newer or same as 700w and if 700w has better reception than 650.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    1. It was mentioned that the 700P has a newer, more sensitive chipset than the 650.
    2. I believe somone in an FCC thread indicated the 700P had the same chipset as the 700W.
    3. In Marcus's Q&A thread the signal strength comparison was asked between his 650 and the 700P he had for review. It appeared to me -- that the 650 and the 700P were measuring nearly the same "signal strength" but the 700P was showing 2 of it's "6" bars and the 650 was showing "1/2" of the first of "4" 650 bars, as he stated.

Unless Palm is just messing with us -- (and "0" bars means no reception on both scales) this would lead me to believe the 700P chipset can read and use lower strength signals -- and thus the "supposed" better reception. This would also mean thet the 700P would need to be able to send a "stronger" signal than the 650 -- and maybe this is one reason for the 1900 vs. 1800 mAh stock battery in the 700P and the "lower talk time" figure between the two.

Total speculation on a layman's part.

Cheers, Perry.
    I currently have a T700w and I'm switching to a 700p based upon wanting to get Chatter back. The reception on the 700w is fair. I had read postings that apparently the 700p has a different chip set and signal strength bars that go up to six instead of five. We'll have to wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    1. It was mentioned that the 700P has a newer, more sensitive chipset than the 650.
    2. I believe somone in an FCC thread indicated the 700P had the same chipset as the 700W.
    3. In Marcus's Q&A thread the signal strength comparison was asked between his 650 and the 700P he had for review. It appeared to me -- that the 650 and the 700P were measuring nearly the same "signal strength" but the 700P was showing 2 of it's "6" bars and the 650 was showing "1/2" of the first of "4" 650 bars, as he stated.

Unless Palm is just messing with us -- (and "0" bars means no reception on both scales) this would lead me to believe the 700P chipset can read and use lower strength signals -- and thus the "supposed" better reception. This would also mean thet the 700P would need to be able to send a "stronger" signal than the 650 -- and maybe this is one reason for the 1900 vs. 1800 mAh stock battery in the 700P and the "lower talk time" figure between the two.

Total speculation on a layman's part.

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry,

Thanks for that info.

I also can't wait to see what see the RF on the treo 700p. I live "on the edge" of verizon service. No use in going into detail about the 650 that I sent back. My v710 does ok here through... so I have hope for the 700p. I did not try the 700w.
  6.    #6  
    Perry, good info. I hope you're right and the 700p is indeed a stronger radio. Time will tell.
  7.    #7  
    OK, folks, the phones have begun to trickle in. So who's going to be the first to give us a report on this? The anticipation is killing me!
    Quote Originally Posted by enagel
    I currently have a T700w and I'm switching to a 700p based upon wanting to get Chatter back. The reception on the 700w is fair. I had read postings that apparently the 700p has a different chip set and signal strength bars that go up to six instead of five. We'll have to wait and see.
    Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Helm
    Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.
    Exactly what I was thinking.... what a great movie!
    Matt,

I believe the Spinal Tap reference was already done last time we had this discussion

Dans,

the FFC filing seems to indicate that the 700W and 700P have identicals internals, including CDMA chipset.

Cheers
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTeeth
    Matt,

I believe the Spinal Tap reference was already done last time we had this discussion

Dans,

the FFC filing seems to indicate that the 700W and 700P have identicals internals, including CDMA chipset.

Cheers
    Well crap!

I've been screwing around with Cingular and my Nokia phone the past few months... out of the Treocentral loop. Now i'm back to give the 700p a whirl.

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTeeth
    Dans,

GreenTeeth, the FFC filing could indicate that the Treo 700p has a radio that can receive signals from other universes and I'd still want to hear from people who actually own one! Call me a skeptic...

Anyway, I'm completely out of the loop on the 700w. I wouldn't ever consider going with that platform, at least not until Hell freezes over--and it's not really an anti-Microsoft thing. It's just that I *hate* Outlook and love the simplicity of the Palm Desktop. I also really like and am used to the Palm OS, despite the massively buggy Frankengarnet. I tried a WinMobile device and didn't like it one bit.
    Hi Dan,

don't look at my post as an endorsement of the 700W: it's not! I've had a 600 (from day one), currently have a 650 (a couple month after release) and am waiting for delivery of my 700p (I believe Palm has filled a restraining order so I can't call the palm store for update on shipping anymore.) I have a long list of loved software that I'm not giving up and will stay on the Palm OS until I have no longer a decent choice.

I'm just saying the internal are *alegedly* the same. That said, you're right and the the end result on reception could still vary based on carrier, location, build quality, OS, etc...

Fred
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'

I never understood that. On my 650 there is no such thing as a "1/2" bar. You either have a bar or you don't. What the heck was he talking about?

Well the good thing is that most reviews I have read say the battery life on the 700p is better than it's rated. So I expect to get at least the same battery life as the 650 which for me has been excellent since the first (or was it the second?) update.
    I never understood that. On my 650 there is no such thing as a "1/2" bar. You either have a bar or you don't. What the heck was he talking about?
    He said 1/2 of the first four. half of four = 2.
    Just got my 700p this afternoon, and I find it has about the same reception as my 650 (if anything, maybe a little poorer). Or HAD, in the few hours before it flaked out. Now it can't even find the network, and it spends an eternity on the Verizon "welcome" screen. Meanwhile, the keyboard light erratically flashes up and down in brightness. I did a hard reset, and still had the problem. The wireless data CSR confirmed that it was a hardware defect, but he couldn't do anything about it. I have to call up telesales tomorrow to arrange for a return.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou

He said 1/2 of the first four. half of four = 2.
    Are you on crack? Does saying "1/2 of the first four" actually make any kind of sense to you? If you'd bothered to search you'd see that what Marcus atually said was

650 Values at my home (half a signal bar):
    so my question is a valid one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace
    Just got my 700p this afternoon, and I find it has about the same reception as my 650 (if anything, maybe a little poorer). Or HAD, in the few hours before it flaked out. Now it can't even find the network, and it spends an eternity on the Verizon "welcome" screen. Meanwhile, the keyboard light erratically flashes up and down in brightness. I did a hard reset, and still had the problem. The wireless data CSR confirmed that it was a hardware defect, but he couldn't do anything about it. I have to call up telesales tomorrow to arrange for a return.
    That's what happens with VZW rushes a phone to market.
    Well this is a pretty limited experience -- half a day -- but so far the reception looks about the same to me. Maybe slightly better but it's a close call.

The test I wanted to try was the iffy spot in my house (lowest signal in that corner, and calls tend to drop when BART (electric train) goes by) where calls often get dropped on my 650. Still dropped on the 700p tonight, though not every time the BART when by ...

One thing that bothered me was that when the phone is searching for a signal it seems to temporarily freeze up - it's completely non-responsive for longer than I recall the 650 doing.

I'll try other spots where my 650 loses signal as I get a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Are you on crack? Does saying "1/2 of the first four" actually make any kind of sense to you? If you'd bothered to search you'd see that what Marcus atually said was

so my question is a valid one!
    I was going off of what you quoted. You quoted "the 650 was showing "1/2" of the first of "4" 650 bars"

and it makes perfect sense. 1/2 of 4 =2. or 50% of 4=2. maybe if you try reading a little bit sloooweer...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast