Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl
    Are you on crack? Does saying "1/2 of the first four" actually make any kind of sense to you? If you'd bothered to search you'd see that what Marcus atually said was

so my question is a valid one!
    and if you're talking about this:
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    The ##33284 debug mode works on both the 650 and 700p.

650 Values at my home (half a signal bar):
    RSSI -98
    Rx -100, Tx -520, Tx Adj, -62

700p Values (two signal bars)
    RSSI -100
    Rx -103, Tx -535, Tx Adj, -63
    Marcus was talking in equivalents. He wasn't actually looking at the bars on the normal phone display. He was in a debug mode looking at signal strengths. the bars are simple, rough representations of the signal the phone is getting.
    Last edited by oddlou; 05/26/2006 at 01:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    I was going off of what you quoted. You quoted "the 650 was showing "1/2" of the first of "4" 650 bars"

and it makes perfect sense. 1/2 of 4 =2. or 50% of 4=2. maybe if you try reading a little bit sloooweer...
    No, it doesn't make sense. If you thought he said "1/2 of the first 4" then maybe you could make that argument (as silly as it is). But it makes no sense when you think he said "1/2 of the first of 4" which means 1/2 of the first one.
    and if you're talking about this:

Marcus was talking in equivalents. He wasn't actually looking at the bars on the normal phone display. He was in a debug mode looking at signal strengths. the bars are simple, rough representations of the signal the phone is getting.
    Are you really suggesting that Marcus was too lazy to move his eyeballs up 2cm to look at the signal bars on the screen but instead just made up his own signal bar levels? LOL!
    Are you really suggesting that Marcus was too lazy to move his eyeballs up 2cm to look at the signal bars on the screen but instead just made up his own signal bar levels? LOL!
    dude, he was in a debug mode! He was looking at the actual signal values, not the bars. the bars are representations of the numbers he was looking at. there were not bars on his screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by delrey
    Well this is a pretty limited experience -- half a day -- but so far the reception looks about the same to me. Maybe slightly better but it's a close call.

The test I wanted to try was the iffy spot in my house (lowest signal in that corner, and calls tend to drop when BART (electric train) goes by) where calls often get dropped on my 650. Still dropped on the 700p tonight, though not every time the BART when by ...

One thing that bothered me was that when the phone is searching for a signal it seems to temporarily freeze up - it's completely non-responsive for longer than I recall the 650 doing.

I'll try other spots where my 650 loses signal as I get a chance.
    That is not good... guess we will have to wait for others...
    dude, he was in a debug mode! He was looking at the actual signal values, not the bars. the bars are representations of the numbers he was looking at. there were not bars on his screen.
    Yes, actually, there are bars on that screen. By your logic if when he said 1/2 signal bar for the 650 he meant 2, then when he said 2 signals bars for the 700p he must have meant 8!?

Wow, that is good reception. LMAO!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    That's what happens with VZW rushes a phone to market.
    Well, to be fair, it's only one sample out of how many? Could be a fluke. We won't know until more people get their devices. I'm a scientist by profession, so I have to think this way.
    Yes, actually, there are bars on that screen. By your logic if when he said 1/2 signal bar for the 650 he meant 2, then when he said 2 signals bars for the 700p he must have meant 8!?

Wow, that is good reception. LMAO!
    You're combining two different posts. In the first post, I was referring to what you initially quoted. In the second post, I was referring to what Marcus posted. If you were clear as to whom you were talking about in the first place, my initial response would have never happened. You quoted Perry and said he. That's who I thought you were talking about. Then you clarified. hence, the second response.
    You're combining two different posts. In the first post, I was referring to what you initially quoted. In the second post, I was referring to what Marcus posted. If you were clear as to whom you were talking about in the first place, my initial response would have never happened. You quoted Perry and said he. That's who I thought you were talking about. Then you clarified. hence, the second response.
    I clearly quoted Perry and in my quote of him he clearly cites Marcus. All of that is visible in my original post. So I have no idea what you think you're talking about.

Just for the record, here is my original post:

--------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden

3. In Marcus's Q&A thread the signal strength comparison was asked between his 650 and the 700P he had for review. It appeared to me -- that the 650 and the 700P were measuring nearly the same "signal strength" but the 700P was showing 2 of it's "6" bars and the 650 was showing "1/2" of the first of "4" 650 bars, as he stated.
    I never understood that. On my 650 there is no such thing as a "1/2" bar. You either have a bar or you don't. What the heck was he talking about?
    --------------

Can you really not figure that out?
    Last edited by clipcarl; 05/26/2006 at 01:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    That's what happens with VZW rushes a phone to market.
    Oh, but when Sprint comes out with the exact same phone next week and it has troubles you'll doubtlessly call it Palm's fault.

Grow up.
    Quote Originally Posted by delrey
    Well this is a pretty limited experience -- half a day -- but so far the reception looks about the same to me. Maybe slightly better but it's a close call.

The test I wanted to try was the iffy spot in my house (lowest signal in that corner, and calls tend to drop when BART (electric train) goes by) where calls often get dropped on my 650. Still dropped on the 700p tonight, though not every time the BART when by ...

One thing that bothered me was that when the phone is searching for a signal it seems to temporarily freeze up - it's completely non-responsive for longer than I recall the 650 doing.

I'll try other spots where my 650 loses signal as I get a chance.
    Do you think the phone would work ON BART?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    I clearly quoted Perry and in my quote of him he clearly cites Marcus. All of that is visible in my original post. So I have no idea what you think you're talking about.

Just for the record, here is my original post:

--------------

I never understood that. On my 650 there is no such thing as a "1/2" bar. You either have a bar or you don't. What the heck was he talking about?
    --------------

Can you really not figure that out?

One bar there, then one bar not there, then one bar there, then one bar not there . . . . . . . . . I stand by my post. 0.5 of the first of the four bars on the 650 display vs. 2 bars of 6 bars of the 700 display. This is how I interpreted Marcus's post.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/26/2006 at 04:46 AM.
    1. It was mentioned that the 700P has a newer, more sensitive chipset than the 650.
    2. I believe somone in an FCC thread indicated the 700P had the same chipset as the 700W.
    3. In Marcus's Q&A thread the signal strength comparison was asked between his 650 and the 700P he had for review. It appeared to me -- that the 650 and the 700P were measuring nearly the same "signal strength" but the 700P was showing 2 of it's "6" bars and the 650 was showing "1/2" of the first of "4" 650 bars, as he stated.

Unless Palm is just messing with us -- (and "0" bars means no reception on both scales) this would lead me to believe the 700P chipset can read and use lower strength signals -- and thus the "supposed" better reception. This would also mean thet the 700P would need to be able to send a "stronger" signal than the 650 -- and maybe this is one reason for the 1900 vs. 1800 mAh stock battery in the 700P and the "lower talk time" figure between the two.

Total speculation on a layman's part.

Cheers, Perry.
  14.    #34  
    Well I was going to hold off on ordering the 700p but in asking my VZW goverment sales rep about it, he put together a quote and then shipped it without my approval. I guess I'll accept it and give it a whirl for a week or so. I can always send it back. You guys can bet I'll give a full report on reception here in and around Boston. According to Fedex: Estimated delivery May 31, 2006 7:00 PM. Here's to hoping this thing has been worth the 2-year wait.
    Mods, please delete all the senseless bickering in this thread. This thread asks an important question, let's stay on topic. Please!
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    1. It was mentioned that the 700P has a newer, more sensitive chipset than the 650.
    2. I believe somone in an FCC thread indicated the 700P had the same chipset as the 700W.

Unless Palm is just messing with us -- (and "0" bars means no reception on both scales) this would lead me to believe the 700P chipset can read and use lower strength signals -- and thus the "supposed" better reception. This would also mean thet the 700P would need to be able to send a "stronger" signal than the 650 -- and maybe this is one reason for the 1900 vs. 1800 mAh stock battery in the 700P and the "lower talk time" figure between the two.

Total speculation on a layman's part.

Cheers, Perry.
    My bet is the wattage of the radio and the tower signal you are attached to make the difference and there is no appreciable difference in the signal except the minor difference in each set of chips. I personally think this is total hogwash about a newer chipset changing anything. No oe with a 700W has reported (which I have seen so far) any increased sensitivity to signals.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Mods, please delete all the senseless bickering in this thread. This thread asks an important question, let's stay on topic. Please!
    We again forgot ScottR owns the place. Forgive us all for not living to your standards.
    Deleted as requested so as not to despoil your thread.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I think the bickering is actually keeping this thread to the top so people will be able to see it when the devices are actually in hand. Then people will be able to post the RF levels. Plus, is this really bickering... seems on topic, IMO...

I'm waiting like everyone else for people to post their experiences....
    One bar there, then one bar not there, then one bar there, then one bar not there . . . . . . . . . I stand by my post. 0.5 of the first of the four bars on the 650 display vs. 2 bars of 6 bars of the 700 display. This is how I interpreted Marcus's post.
    Oh, I see. That makes sense. So while the signal strength numbers on the 650 and 700p were pretty much the same for Marcus, the 700p was showing 1/3 of its 6 bars and the 650 was showing ~1/8 of its 4 bars.

Obviously we'll need to get some of the lucky early buyers to confirm this, but it sounds like the 700p may be able use weak signals much better than the 650. I personally ordered the Sprint 700p but I would expect that their ability to lock onto a signal should be about the same as the Verizon because they are both CDMA/EVDO. (Of course, we all know Sprint has better coverage.) I should get mine Tuesday!

So people with both: start posting signal strength comparrisons!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast