Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, silly season II is about to be upon us. That will be when all the people who just got a 700p start doing a google search and find TreoCentral for the first time. No doubt the forum will get flooded with the same questions over and over again many of which have been asked and aswered many times over in the past.

So.....

For new posters. Please do a search regarding your question before posting. Not only does these keep the forum "clean" of repeated and already answered issues, it will likely get you more information than just posting because once a question has been asked and answered several times people who know the answer just stop responding. NOT seaching really does cause a problem when there are lots of repeated and already addressed issue since it clogs up the board. It also makes it harder to do a good search later on since there will be more threads that pop up in response to the querry.

For old posters. Be Nice. Nothing wrong, IMO, in asking that people do a search but you can do so in a nice way. Remember these are new TC members who may very well be great contributors to the forum if they feel welcome. When I started here (treo 300) I DID read the forum guidelines but, although they are placed better now then they were back then, the link still does not "jump out" at you when you first log on and with all the excitement of the new toy, many people will not realize that they are doing a no-no by not searching frist.

Welcome all, play nice!
    Last edited by midmofan; 05/23/2006 at 09:46 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Nice idea...if only new posters would read this. <done>
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 05/23/2006 at 11:46 AM.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #4  
    Not 100% the new posters fault.

Even now when I search I always have to look to see where the button is. For some reason it is just not real obvious. Same with the "forum guidelines" Would be nice if it said in really big red type FORUM RULES NEW POSTERS READ BEFORE POSTING!!!! and if the search button where huge and centered, maybe flashing even! LOL
    Last edited by midmofan; 05/23/2006 at 09:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Nice idea...if only new posters would read this.
    Yeah...I can see it now...

New User: "newbie here, I looked all over and kind find any posts on how I should ask questions without looking like a moron"

Dutchtrumpet:"Just look here friend...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=114892

and enjoy your stay"
    Not 100% the new posters fault.

Even now when I search I always have to look to see where the button is. For some reason it is just not real obvious. Same with the "forum guidelines" Would be nice if it said in really big gread type FORUM RULES NEW POSTERS READ BEFORE POSTING!!!! and if the search button where huge and centered, maybe flashing even! LOL

Now THAT is the best idea I've heard in a while
    Perhaps we could also have a sticky thread at the top of each room, to help people find what they are looking for - such as at howardforums?
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Glad to see it's a sticky
    Jimmie Geddes
    Definately "stickyworthy"
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Why can't we just have a pop up box or Warning that appears when you click on "New Topic" that remind the user to search before posting.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Ok, silly season II is about to be upon us. That will be when all the people who just got a 700p start doing a google search and find TreoCentral for the first time. No doubt the forum will get flooded with the same questions over and over again many of which have been asked and aswered many times over in the past.

So.....

For new posters. Please do a search regarding your question before posting. Not only does these keep the forum "clean" of repeated and already answered issues, it will likely get you more information than just posting because once a question has been asked and answered several times people who know the answer just stop responding. NOT seaching really does cause a problem when there are lots of repeated and already addressed issue since it clogs up the board. It also makes it harder to do a good search later on since there will be more threads that pop up in response to the querry.

For old posters. Be Nice. Nothing wrong, IMO, in asking that people do a search but you can do so in a nice way. Remember these are new TC members who may very well be great contributors to the forum if they feel welcome. When I started here (treo 300) I DID read the forum guidelines but, although they are placed better now then they were back then, the link still does not "jump out" at you when you first log on and with all the excitement of the new toy, many people will not realize that they are doing a no-no by not searching frist.

Welcome all, play nice!
    Nice post. For those who learn visually, here's a little film to illustrate.

http://www.linuxbench.org/Posting.html
    undefined
  12.    #12  
    OK, thats a classic!
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst

undefined
    That is the funniest thing I've seen all day!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey

undefined

funny
    Just call me Berd.

undefined
    Definately the funniest thing I've seen a while.

How about a possible auto redirect to that when someone who has a zero post count or just make it the T/C disclaimer before you sign up
    You know, I've been here at T|C awhile now, and its become a big part of my daily life. Yes, there was that short period I was away (Which Insertion CONSTANTLY brings up. I think he has a "man-crush".) but for the most I'm here. I feel that aside from a biting, acerbic wit, I do occasionally bring something useful to a discussion now and then, and I've met several "career milestones", like hitting one thousand posts, starting a little internet romance (No, not with Insertion), and even getting banned while righteously defending the castle against trolls. I thought I was happy. I felt like everything here at T|C was now purely enjoyment of intelligent discussions of one of my favorite toys. I thought I had no more goals to work for.
    I thought wrong.
    This very thread made me realize, I have never started a thread worthy of "sticky". Nothing posted by Doom has been deemed important enough to endure the ages.

Sh!t. Gonna have to work on that.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    DrDoom,
    Your Day will Come.
    Hey Hows the Accidental Trial Period Going?
    Just call me Berd.
    Or maybe before they can Join, they have to read a few Forum Guidlines, and choose accept.
    Just call me Berd.
    Good post, but this happens on message boards everywhere. I'm a regular on the Madden message boards (video game football) and we go through it over there. In general, people don't want to search and read through posts to possibly find there answer, so they will take the easy route, post there question or concern, then wait for an answer...not much you can do about it. I was given a very warm welcome when I first posted here, back when I was a noob..(I'm well over 10 posts now, not a newb anymore)...everyone should receive the kindness I received...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast