1.    #1  
    I am getting my first Treo. I ordered the 650 with the camera. However Sprint just called and said they accidentally sent the one without the camera. Is there any difference between the two phones other than the camera? I don't really need a camera phone. But I was concerned that the cameraless phone may be an older model. I am totally ignorant and hoping someone would know. Thanks.
    Last edited by crashkup; 05/22/2006 at 09:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crashkup
    I am getting my first Treo. I ordered the 650 with the camera. However Sprint just called and said they accidentally sent the one without the camera. Is there any difference between the two phones other than the camera? I don't really need a camera phone. But I was concerned that the cameraless phone may be an older model. I am totally ignorant and hoping someone would know. Thanks.
    They're the same, except for the camera, of course. They sell it sans camera because some people work in places where cameras are not allowed, like federal buildings or courthouses.
    Federal judges are particularly stinky about cameras.

On the other hand in the real world cameras are cool. This weekend I was on a campout with a bunch of 7 year old boys and got to take pix with my Treo of my son and his buddy holding a baby chicken. Immediately emailed off the photos to the moms. Treos rock.

20 minutes later the baby chicken was dead. Who knew that they didn't swim?
    The one without the camera is worth more?
    I wonder how ROM updates work for the camera-less versions. Do the camera-less versions still have the camera and camcorder apps. in them? How is the Media app. different?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Re-sale value of cameraless Treo's is much higher. More rare=more money. Besides. When I want to take real pictures, I use my Nikon D50.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I wonder how ROM updates work for the camera-less versions. Do the camera-less versions still have the camera and camcorder apps. in them? How is the Media app. different?
    There's a [skip] section in the boot.conf that lists the camera files. I'm pretty sure there's a ROM token on the camera-less versions that tell the ROM loaded to skip loading certain databases. Unfortunately, the intersection of people with cameraless treos and those who can use the ROM tool to dump the tokens is very small.