Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I've been a T-mobile customer for a long time now with my 600/650's. But I am drooling.

I travel internatioanally a few times a year, so international coverage is important to to me. I know that Sprint and Verizon both offer this with phone service. Will I also have e-mail/ internet capabilities?

Is it worth changing, or should I wait for the GPS model?

Local coverage will be the same.
    Last edited by zrs70; 05/22/2006 at 11:30 AM. Reason: error
    Um... that's like asking how many inches are in a gallon.

I think you mean GSM.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Its GSM, not GPS...

GPS is a global positioning system (i.e navigation in your car)
    lool, well i don't think the GSM model is even announced yet so you might be waiting a long time. Judging from the fact that you called it GPS, im assuming that you don't need/use GSM that much, if at all. So, i say stick with the CDMA, and don't worry about GPS
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zrs70
    I've been a T-mobile customer for a long time now with my 600/650's. But I am drooling.

I travel internatioanally a few times a year, so international coverage is important to to me. I know that Sprint and Verizon both offer this with phone service. Will I also have e-mail/ internet capabilities?

Is it worth changing, or should I wait for the GPS model?

Local coverage will be the same.
    I doubt we will see the 700 in either form be on a GSM network only because there will be something better later this fall. If you really want it now though you could always get a prepayed SIM and still use your 650 Internationally (right?) and just keep the contacts sync'd between both devices.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Yes, I mean GSM! And just because I goofed, it doesn't mean that I don't use it! I travel internationally about 6 times a year. Call it GSM, call it GPS, call it S and M. Whatever! The question is, will I be happy with Sprint?
    ....Whatever! The question is, will I be happy with Sprint?
    Not while roaming in europe...
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Not while roaming in europe...
    Lol, there should be no question about it then. My sister was over in Europe a few months ago and her phone did not work at all. Without GSM, there's no point in having the phone over in another country. The answer is simple

Nothing better than watching that satellite dish search for a signal for a month. I can imagine it is quite entertaining though.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Sprint is out of the picture in California at least. I really have been thinking of switching to Verizon but there is no way when I priced the calling plan.

Also I spent 2 months in Europe last summer and was able to blog and create web pages of my trip the entire time and stay connected with my Treo. That would not be possible with Sprint or Verizon currently.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    You have requirements for international travel. So, stick with GSM.

I'd also suggest being patient. By the fall of '06, there will be a GSM version with some enhancements (thinner, no antennae, etc.).

Your fortitude will pay off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    By the fall of '06, there will be a GSM version with some enhancements (thinner, no antennae, etc.)
    Was that ever confirmed, I heard something along those lines as well.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    no, not confirmed
    There's always next year!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Sprint is out of the picture in California at least.
    Huh? Where in CA?

Sprint in San Francisco is excellent.
    Yes, I mean GSM! And just because I goofed, it doesn't mean that I don't use it! I travel internationally about 6 times a year. Call it GSM, call it GPS, call it S and M. Whatever! The question is, will I be happy with Sprint?
    There are several things you may "miss" with a CDMA phone.

1. GSM battery life is 50% longer
    2. International travel
    3. SIM Swapping (take crappy phone on risky activities like biking, fishing)
    4. Rotating upgrades - you can buy new phone every 6 months while still being eligible for "2 year upgrades" by rotating 4 phones thru family.
    5. Incoming call doesn't terminate data connection.
    6. SIM card lets you take "contacts" with you when you swap phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Sprint is out of the picture in California at least. I really have been thinking of switching to Verizon but there is no way when I priced the calling plan.
    Huh? Ok and I am Mahatma Gandhi!

Seriously what makes you think Sprint is out of the Picture in California?
    <s></s>
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    There are several things you may "miss" with a CDMA phone.

1. GSM battery life is 50% longer
    2. International travel
    3. SIM Swapping (take crappy phone on risky activities like biking, fishing)
    4. Rotating upgrades - you can buy new phone every 6 months while still being eligible for "2 year upgrades" by rotating 4 phones thru family.
    5. Incoming call doesn't terminate data connection.
    6. SIM card lets you take "contacts" with you when you swap phones.

I thought GSM was still in "speculation mode"...i guess if you can wait that long, you should just wait for the 750p
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    I ditched Cingular and went with Sprint 3 years ago when I got my Treo 600 and was surprised how much better reception I got. GSM can't seem to penetrate buildings like CDMA can. I can get signal in the parking garage under my work building. No GSM phone can do that. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.