Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to choose between the Sprint and Verizon 700p based upon the quality of their evdo service and plans. I would appreciate suggestions based upon evdo service and price. I have worked with Sprint and Verizon and fully understand the difference from a customer service viewpoint. I am wondering whether one might provide a better technical solution.
    well, first off.. you should see which has better coverage in your area (this includes both data and voice)

if coverage is not an issue, i say go with Sprint. -frikkin cheap *** data prices
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    well, first off.. you should see which has better coverage in your area (this includes both data and voice)

if coverage is not an issue, i say go with Sprint. -frikkin cheap *** data prices
    Agree 100%. Ask your firends who have Sprint and those who have VZW and see who has better reliability in their coverage.

Check here to see VZW vs Sprint's EVDO coverage: http://www.evdoinfo.com/EVDO/Info/Ve...t_20051029605/

If all things are equal fo with Sprint because the Data is cheaper.
    This is in the wrong place

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=114662

You will get your answer here^^^^
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Here is an analysis of carriers' EVDO (and HSDPA) comparisons...
    http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1235
    Last edited by xenophonite; 05/22/2006 at 10:59 AM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Here is an analysis of carriers' EVDO (and HSDPA) comparisons...
    And here is the main difference: Every market Sprint is in is on 1900 Mhz towers. EVDO only runs on 1900 Mhz. VZW stills uses 800 MHz whihc means EVDO is not garunteed to be there and if they even add it it won't match an area serviced by 1900 Mhz.

http://wirelessadvisor.com/regions.cfm has links to markets and lists what freqs they use for all the carriers. If you don't see a 1900 mhz tower in there for VZW I would suggest you go with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    price should be secondary to coverage.
    every market area is different. figure out who has best coverage and go with that.
    Not much good to have a cool device if it doesnt work
    Just because you put 700p in the title, it doesn't mean it belongs in this forum. There is a discussion on this rightly titled "Verizon vs. Sprint".

But i guess i can see how "Verizon vs. Sprint" is different from "Choosing Sprint or Verizon 700p" ...
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    Just because you put 700p in the title, it doesn't mean it belongs in this forum. There is a discussion on this rightly titled "Verizon vs. Sprint".

But i guess i can see how "Verizon vs. Sprint" is different from "Choosing Sprint or Verizon 700p" ...
    You're all growed up, Brown, you're all growed up....I'm so proud...
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    You're all growed up, Brown, you're all growed up....I'm so proud...
    What can I say, i try...

I think there's about 15 new threads started everytime i come back to this page, and they all ask the same things in a different way .
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    What can I say, i try...

I think there's about 15 new threads started everytime i come back to this page, and they all ask the same things in a different way .
    and now you are beginning to understand why those grumpy old dudes are always grumpy.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    And here is the main difference: Every market Sprint is in is on 1900 Mhz towers. EVDO only runs on 1900 Mhz. VZW stills uses 800 MHz whihc means EVDO is not garunteed to be there and if they even add it it won't match an area serviced by 1900 Mhz.
    Actually, EVDO will work on 800mhz but doesn't have much capacity. It appears that Alltel is doing EVDO on 800mhz but they are restricting capacity signifiantly by doing so. Verizon has done a couple markets with 800mhz but it apparently didn't work out too well because they haven't done any 800mhz markets since.
    Most of what I've read on choosing between Sprint and VZ has revolved around coverage and price. What about other factors? For example, I remember VZ used to prevent you from using the phone as a modem for a laptop? Do they still? Do the business email clients differ? Are there any other differences in the devices and software? Thanks.
    For $44.95 per month, Verizon had better not limit me at all! I've heard Verizon getting upset when people go over 100Mb per month. I tethered with my 700w on EVDO and downloaded 1.5Gb off Easynews while at a trade show and they haven't complained yet.

.... I wonder what that black van is outside my house.... ? :-D
    Verizon 600, 700w, 700p -> Sprint Centro
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emosier
    For $44.95 per month, Verizon had better not limit me at all! I've heard Verizon getting upset when people go over 100Mb per month. I tethered with my 700w on EVDO and downloaded 1.5Gb off Easynews while at a trade show and they haven't complained yet.

.... I wonder what that black van is outside my house.... ? :-D
    Both VZW and Sprint will be charging $15 to use the 700p as a modem.
    Will Verizon be able to tell I'm using it as a modem when the 700p version of PDANet is released?
    Verizon 600, 700w, 700p -> Sprint Centro
    Unless they've changed data plans, that is not the case...

Sprint is $15/month for unlimited data in-phone for phones and PDAs. It is $40/month for unlimited in-phone data and tethering (may go to $50/month). Total up to $50/month.

Verizon is $45/month for unlimited data in-phone for PDAs and $15/month additional for tethering. Total up to $60/month.

Sprint is a much better deal if not planning to tether and a little better deal if tethering.

When it comes to EVDO coverage, Sprint is significantly ahead as they are in far more markets.

When it comes to Terms of Service, Sprint is significantly ahead as Verizon has sent out letters for heavy use. Verizon is also considering extra tiered pricing for heavy data users.

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emosier
    Will Verizon be able to tell I'm using it as a modem when the 700p version of PDANet is released?
    I'd love to know the answer to this as well.
    ReMax Properties Unlimited
    Morristown NJ
    pmdied@gmail.com
    www.peterdieduardo.com
    Can you point me to a Sprint or Verizon document that says this? I spoke with reps from both Sprint and Verizon yesterday and neither confirmed this $15 price point.

The Verizon rep said that $45 would include tethering. And the Sprint rep said that the $25 Phone as Modem plan would include unlimited PowerVision on the phone only, and 40MB of tethering.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Damon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast