Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I'll be purchasing a 700P soon and have been researching both the Think Outside Bluetooth and Palm Universal Wireless keyboards. I currently have a 600 with a full size keyboard (I think Belkin made this one). One thing I really like is that the keyboard emulates the 5-way D-Pad using the arrow keys and a dedicated center button (i.e. right, left, up, down and center functions from D-Pad). That way I really don't have to touch the Treo while I'm using the keyboard. Do either of these two keyboards offer this kind of support? TIA
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    The palm universal lets you do the d-pad things using an alt key together with the cursor keys.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by santa
    The palm universal lets you do the d-pad things using an alt key together with the cursor keys.
    Does that include the center D-Pad button?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter
    Does that include the center D-Pad button?
    Sorry, Yes... you some alt key with Enter does the center button.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Thanks for the post Santa. How physically stable is your Treo when using this keyboard?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    It's not, when it's standing up.

Get "Rotation 1.2.4". http://www.mobile-stream.com/landscape_info.html

Let's you lay the Treo on its side. Very stable and gives you access to the headphone jack.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    That's an outstanding suggestion. Am I correct that this keyboard uses infrared, not bluetooth? Can the Treo do infrared and bluetooth simultaneously? I'm probably going to get SAG for the 700P so that I can do stereo over bluetooth, and it would be great to be able to use a keyboard at the same time.

I've been considering the ThinkOutside Keyboard, but like that fact that this one has 5 rows of keys.

Very interesting!
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Santa, I read some of your posts on another thread where you and several others mentioned problems with this keyboard. Did the most recent Palm update resolve your issues? Does the keyboard seem to respond more accurately?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    since the IR patch, it's working pretty well. I miss the occational first letter, but that might just be me not pushing hard enough.
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter
    Am I correct that this keyboard uses infrared, not bluetooth? Can the Treo do infrared and bluetooth simultaneously? I'm probably going to get SAG for the 700P so that I can do stereo over bluetooth, and it would be great to be able to use a keyboard at the same time.
    Yes it's an IR keyboard. That's one of the reasons I like the IR solution over bluetooth. It leaves bluetooth available for calls/music. I think it's also easier on the battery, and legal to use on airplanes.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Well I finally have my 700P and my Palm Univeral Wireless Keyboard and the two play pretty well together. The only problem I have now is that the Treo becomes unresponsive when the screen is rotated and the keyboard driver is active. Anyone else having this problem? FYI, I'm using the latest version of the Rotation demo (1.2.4) and the 700P keyboard driver version 1.13.
    Hey all.

I've been watching the thread for a while and got the Palm Universal. I, too wanted to be able to use a bluetooth headset when I was usin the keyboard. Anyone know how to hack the driver for this thing? I DESperately need a {cmd lock} so I don't have to use two hands to navigate. I don't have to do that on the unit itself, why would they design it in to the keyboard????

Is there a way to request that feature from Palm (yeah right!) somewhere?

Also, using Avantgo and a few other apps, the key command to go Back is menu -V, home is menu -H etc. When I use the combo on the keyboard, it closes the open menu but otherwise does nothing...

I'm Seriously thinking of hacking up my old plugin Treo 600 keyboard, fitting the new connector on there and trying the old driver...Any thoughts on that one?

Seems to me that a non powered, plug in keyboard would be a no brainer! The 700p is on the stand anyway! Why couldn't it just plug in!?!?!

Apologies on the rant, but it's rather disappointing to see technology go just...BACKwards for no apparent reason...My old Treo 600 keyboard was great that way. No batteries. Easy navigation. Thinner package. Still going strong...

Thanks for listening and any thoughts welcome.
    I'm finding that the Keyboard program will "automagically" switch On, even when I have turned it off. Keyboard has had problems in the past on the Treo650 with interactions with other programs. I like to leave it off when not using it.

For the mean time, I've moved it to my card with Zlauncher, and will move it back when needed.

Regards,
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    i'd had the problems everyone else was having with this keyboard since i bought it 14 months ago. with the new driver it works fantastically, yee hah, now maybe i don't have to bring my laptop with me anymore when i'm traveling, this is huge