1.    #1  
    I heard from many people that Palm has a habit of releasing some very buggy devices within the first batch of every new model. Has this been the case with the recently released 700w and should I wait, as painful as it would be, a month or two after it is released and get the first defective bunch of 700p's out of the way before I buy mine?
    I would hate to pay $400 to be their test-dummy. Any thoughts from treo old-timers on thier experience with previous models?
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    not much has changed harware wise, and software can be updated.

The camera and EvDO Radio I assume is aready being used in the 700W, and the memory design change is very minor.

bluetooth is different that the 650... I would not worry too much about the 700P being buggy.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Better make it an 8 month wait if you want to avoid the bugs. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    I heard from many people that Palm has a habit of releasing some very buggy devices within the first batch of every new model. Has this been the case with the recently released 700w and should I wait, as painful as it would be, a month or two after it is released and get the first defective bunch of 700p's out of the way before I buy mine?
    I would hate to pay $400 to be their test-dummy. Any thoughts from treo old-timers on thier experience with previous models?
    Thanks to the people who bought the 700w from Verizon, they beta tested the hardware for us. OS wise I think we will have to trust Palm on this one. (like we have been doing for the past ones )
    <s></s>
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522

HA HA HA HA HA...

They have so many bugs they have Orkin test them....

HA HA HA HA HA...
    I'm with Tony on the 8 month period. Just because the hardware & software themselves have been tested, the integration of hardware & software makes it a whole different animal.

But then of course, we early adopters/fanatics are willing to put up with it.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYravefever
    But then of course, we early adopters/fanatics are willing to put up with it.
    Not only would the 8 months kill me but the announcement/speculation of the next treo 750/800 would be even worse. Would hate to get the phone and then worry about a newer/better model arriving soon after.

It sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath for the bugs to be worked out. Who am i kidding anyway, i'll be the one banging on the windows at the Sprint store before it opens on the 28th .
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    There is not much of an upgrade, so maby the beta season will be cut down on this run.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    There is not much of an upgrade, so maby the beta season will be cut down on this run.
    Yup, I'm not expecting this to be troublesome at all. NVFS's infancy was a real problem for the 650, but it seems only verichat still has problems with that. jk.. not really..

Chatter's author does say Chatter is working just super duper on the 700P, and with an application that full featured, working fine, I think we shouldn't run into that many problems.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I was a 600 and 650 beta tester.
    I will likely be 700p tester as well.

The problem is the crappy OS that has not fundamentally changed in 10 years. That is the 95% cause of all issues.

The Treos are still beta...mine reset dozens of times a day.

Step up suckers, I'll be there too...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec

The problem is the crappy OS that has not fundamentally changed in 10 years. That is the 95% cause of all issues.

I figured if you stuck with something long enough (hence: same crappy OS), that you'd eventually get it right. I mean if all your doing is updating the same thing, by now everything SHOULD be worked out. Thats not to say that it will be but it should be better

Anyway, all i know is that i will be one of the people to find out if they got it right on 5/28

I have faith in Palm and i'm praying they don't send me over to that officially dissapointed with the 700p thread that was created like 4 weeks ago for some reason you people are WEIRD
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec

If yours "resets dozens of times a day", I would say you're the problem not Palm for not getting it fixed or replaced.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    If yours "resets dozens of times a day", I would say you're the problem not Palm for not getting it fixed or replaced.
    I guess hunting season is upon us.

Every man for themselves
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    ttrundle, SAND

it's common knowledge and experience that Treo's reset regularly. People just accept it.

As for the comment of "10 years to get it right". Palm OS was never desgined to be:

- Color
    - Hi-Res
    - Have any network stack
    - Have any phone integration

All of these things have be sloppy bolt-ons to a lightweight OS for standalone pdas. That's why they call it FrankenGarnet.

Heyzeus Forqing Kristo, didn't Coblat come out nearly 5 years ago?

This is all Palm's fault. Period.

And us hapless suckers who pay $650 to be beta testers.

MS is only one or two revs away from taking the game. C'est la vie.
    after the major updates for the sprint 650 i have barely ever any more resets anymore, i used to get resets galore and it was because of verichat, wich i dont use anymore, mines is rock solid