1.    #1  
    Ok, I'm having a tough time trying to decide between the two and would appreciate any insights!

Below are the T|C reviews for each:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/733-1.htm

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/789-1.htm

In addtion GPSPassion did a recent overview comparing the two GPS receivers as well:

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=190

However, I'm still not sure which one is the better solution? They both have the same chipset, both are almost the same price, and they both apparently have similar battery lives as well. Is there something else I'm missing here? If you had to choose today, which one would you pick?

ALso, is there some other "better" BT GPS reciever than these two out there that I'm missing?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2.    #2  
    No comments on this? Doesn't anyone here have either one would like comment on their experiences?

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I've never used either but I just ordered the Telenav special that gives you 6 months of the service plus a BT-338 for $60. I figured for the price, I couldn't go wrong.

I thought I read somewhere else that you wanted one that could be bluetooth or hard wired. Did you change your mind? I wanted to go that way too but decided to go for the Telenav deal.

Jason
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonsf
    I've never used either but I just ordered the Telenav special that gives you 6 months of the service plus a BT-338 for $60. I figured for the price, I couldn't go wrong.

I thought I read somewhere else that you wanted one that could be bluetooth or hard wired. Did you change your mind? I wanted to go that way too but decided to go for the Telenav deal.

Jason

Wow, that sounds like a nice deal? Could you please give a link to that?

Also, yeah I wanted to find a gps receiver that could work via both BT and hardwired, but I couldn't find anything besides the delorme ones. In the end though, I figured it probably would be cheaper to just get a cheapo BT dongle for $15 bucks for my laptop...

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Wow, that sounds like a nice deal? Could you please give a link to that?
    Start here: http://store.telenav.net/store/

Follow the prompts and when you get to the point of choosing a plan, the only option should be that one. There was another thread where someone posted a reply from Telenav support saying that the GPS device is not locked to their service so will work with any software that supports the 338.

Jason

EDIT: Here's the link to that post: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...1&postcount=19
  6.    #6  
    Okay, just did a google search for the deal and the first link was to the T|C thread below!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112220

Edit: Thanks for the link Jason!

So, as I understand it the monthly subscription is $10/month and you have to sign up for 6 months? That's not a bad deal I guess for the BT-338 at $60 bucks. Hmmm...this makes things more complicated....

I would also really like to hear you impressions of the Telenav bundle once you get you order! Tx.

Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    My only concern with Telenav versus a software solution (TomTom, etc) is the need for phone service to get new maps. Also, eventually $10 per month is going to be more than the software.

I'll let you know my experience. My GPS should arive Tuesday.

Jason
    The BT-338 receiver is excellent for navigation. The only problem ive come acroos, is if you are moving rather than stationary during initial route mapping, you get the "GPS signal is weak, please move to an open area and try again". Afterwards its fine. i.e. I tell it to find the fastest route home from my current position, while Im on I-96 doing 65, it has a hard time locking on to my current position so I get the error message above. If i am sitting at a red light and tell it to map a route, its fine, and if Im on I-96 and ask for an alternate route, it works fine because its already fixed on me.

Although this issue could be software related.
    it is the shiznit! I use it with tt5 (bought it at semsons) u will not be dissapointed. once mine gets a lock (I place it on the dash when I first get in the car), which only takes 20-30 seconds from a cold start, you can take it and put it in your armrest or glove box(so you don't have to watch the crazy flashing lights). I wish I had tt5 years ago. I go back to northern va where I grew up and it helps me to find my way with pinpoint precision. (although in puerto rico the map made my treo crash for some reason when trying to navigate anywhere)

bottomline: order the 338, it is great in most places I have been too except manhattan. the bldgs make the sat reception spotty so it comes and goes.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I've been playing with my BT-339 (apparently that is the name of the OEM version or something) from Telenav. My only other experience with GPS navigation is the Hertz NeverLost system, which I've been very impressed with.

So far, Telenav is good, but not as good as the NeverLost. Granted, this is a smaller screen and doesn't have a CD/DVD database with all the data on it. Telenav successfully plots a course and updates if you miss your street. It doesn't seem very well integrated with the 5-way, though, and I'm used to being able to scroll around the map so I can see what is up ahead of my location. Telenav lets you zoom in and out (with the stylus). You have to wait a moment for it to download that new view. It does it quickly, though.

Overall, functional, but not mind blowing software. I couldn't find any screen that listed my current speed. The compass screen is not very easy to read while driving. But, the price I paid ($60 for 6 months, free GPS receiver) is definitely worth it even if you cancel the service after the 6 months.

As for the receiver, I've had to pull the battery once already because it stopped responding. Not sure what that was about. I've loaded some freeware GPS software to see what they can do. I've found that they never report any satellite locks and they never report the altitude. Is this a limitation of the software not being new enough for the hardware, or some limitation of the hardware?

Jason
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I have been unable to get any altitude data from the BT-339 that came with the Telenav service. I asked them this question:

I'm using the Telenav BT-339. I haven't been able to get any other NMEA strings from the receiver other than GPRMC which doesn't appaer to support satellite or altitude information. Is it possible to get alititude information from this receiver or is it limited to only two dimension (latitude and longitude)?
    and the answer:

The GPS receiver gives longitude and latitude; it does not give altitude.
    I find it hard to believe that the receiver is incapable of receiving that information since it is supposed to be NMEA 0183 compatible. Anyone else have any ideas about this?

Jason
    I have the GlobalSat BT-339 with Igidance V3 and I get altitude info so it is capable.
    One note if you're going to get the bt-338 through telenav for $60. If you eventually get tomtom software, that's an extra $130 or so. So you're paying about $190 for the package.

You can get the same package from buygpsnow.com and other sites for $205 less 5% from a coupon...and you also get a free vent mount.

Your call on if you want to bother signing up for telenav service to get the receiver.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p