1.    #1  
    This is my first use of this software, which came on the CD with an unlocked 650. I upgraded Docs2Go on the DataViz site to v. 7.006. As a portent, their User Manual would not dowload. And there is NO tech support. The KB sucks.

Neither Word nor PDF docs (which I emailed to myself to be certain the docs were good) will open. However, word processing docs transfered to the 650 via HotSync are converted to Doc2Go format and do open.

After successfully receiving the docs on Chatter, I select the attachment to open, using Docs2Go for Word and Adobe Reader for Palm for the PDF. With the Word doc, it tries to load, flashes a Docs2Go progress screen momentarily and gives the error: "The file you are trying to open is not supported and therefore can not be opened."

The PDF is similar but gives the error "Failed to receive beamed document." After clearing the error, Adobe Reader for Palm starts up, but there is no document to view.

Any ideas out there? Is this an email software problem?
    Last edited by Matt Blank; 05/20/2006 at 05:41 PM.
    PDF docs willl not work unless you buy the premium version of 8.x DTG. However workd, excel, powerpoint etc should work. Are you sure you are trying to open the proper file type? Also try to reinstall DTG. In addtion, make sure to install the Dataviz techtool to manage you DTG installation on the Treo:

http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13395

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Native Word docs only work in version 8. Otherwise, they have to be converted via the docs to go desktop application.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost
    Native Word docs only work in version 8. Otherwise, they have to be converted via the docs to go desktop application.

Umm...not that I recall. I'm pretty sure ver 7.x that comes bundled with the 650 does indeed support native WORD! Not desktop conversion required at all!

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, gfunk.

I uninstalled and reinstalled DTG, using the techtool. I tried to open a small Word doc, and got the same error "The file you are trying to open is not supported and therefore can not be opened." Makes no sense because it is Word. And it's strange that the SAME doc WILL open with DTG if transferred directly from my desktop via DTG and converted into DTG format. Just not if received as a Word doc via email (Chatter).

And v. 7 of DTG specifically says it can handle Word docs. So a requirement of a desktop conversion doesn't sound right.

Could this be a Chatter-DTG conflict?

Adobe is another matter. Adobe for Palm doesn't want to open a PDF. Right app. Wrong result.
    Last edited by Matt Blank; 05/20/2006 at 07:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Blank
    Thanks, gfunk.

I uninstalled and reinstalled DTG, using the techtool. I tied to open a small Word doc, and got the same error "The file you are trying to open is not supported and therefore can not be opened." Makes no sense because it is Word. And it's strange that the SAME doc WILL open with DTG if transferred directly from my desktop via DTG and converted into DTG format. Just not if received as a Word doc via email (Chatter).

And v. 7 of DTG specifically says it can handle Word docs. So a requirement of a desktop conversion doesn't sound right.

Could this be a Chatter-DTG conflict?

Adobe is another matter. Adobe for Palm doesn't want to open a PDF. Right app. Wrong result.

Matt are you sure you have the latest firmware for your 650 installed? I just found this article on the dataviz support page relating to a similar issue with DTG and versamail:

http://support.dataviz.com/support.s...13570&pid=2000

Also, have you tried moving the word doc via the DTG desktop cnoduit WITHOUT converting first? Just try to transfer the native file to the card without converting and see if DTG will open it. (Note this assumes you have a card since you cannot save/open native word docs in ram. They have to be on the card fyi)...

Just to add... I recall using the dataiz procedure below when having similar issues with chatteremail and DTG a while ago. However, the procedure below is for DTG ver 8, but I suspect it should also work on ver 7.x as well. I would advise you to try the below procedure before you try anything else first!

http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13719

8.    #8  
    Yes, I saw that article (about firmware) in their KB, and thought for a moment that DTG would work with VersaMail only. But I did check the firmware update and I am current.

I tried your suggestion and transferred a Word doc via conduit to my card in native Word format...and it opened on the 650 just fine.

Then I tried your suggestion about clearing preferences from the DTG tool.

Progress! Two of three Word docs loaded from Chatter. One got an error message "translation failed with error 34120".

I'll try some more docs later tonight and research that error code.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Umm...not that I recall. I'm pretty sure ver 7.x that comes bundled with the 650 does indeed support native WORD! Not desktop conversion required at all!
    Yeah, you're correct. Ver. 7 works with native Word files. I was this came with 8 but it was 7.
  10.    #10  
    Word docs are loading fine now.

The error code 34120 was NOT FOUND in the DataViz Knowledge Base. Go figure. Since DataViz has now terminated tech support other than through a "Knowledge Base" search (that yields results like Sergeant Schultz), I did not pay $30 to upgrade to v.8 just to get a PDF viewer.

Someone suggested going with the FREE PalmPDF from MetaViewSoft. It works great! However the attachment will not open directly from the Chatter window; I have to save it to card and then open PalmPDF to select and open it. A very small bother.

Thanks all for your help! Especially gfunk!
    I am having a problem with Docs2go.

I just got a 700p and this is the first time i am using this program. I stored some WORD documents onto my SD card and i can view, edit, save etc... on my treo.

When i got to send the file from my treo to my email on my desktop computer it wont work. It sends a ".mim" file instead of a WORD file and i cant open it on my desktop.

Do i have to convert the file or something?

Thanks for the help.
  12.    #12  
    I'm a newbie, but try gfunk's suggestion about clearing preferences in DTG. It worked for me:

Just to add... I recall using the dataiz procedure below when having similar issues with chatteremail and DTG a while ago. However, the procedure below is for DTG ver 8, but I suspect it should also work on ver 7.x as well. I would advise you to try the below procedure before you try anything else first!

http://support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=13719