Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Has anyone else had this problem, or even better, know how to fix it?

My snappermail (v. 2.32) currently has 0 messages in my inbox, filed, drafts, outbox, sent, or trash folders. I have emptied each folder into the trash, I have purged each folder, and I have emptied my trash and purged the trash folder.

Under the "info" page from the home menu, snapper says it is taking up 700k. However, if I look at the "records" section, snapper has 1578 records. Under the "delete" section of the home menu, it says that snapper is taking up 14506k.

This has been a recurring problem where although I delete and purge all my messages, snapper somehow retains information about them and builds up to a gigantic size. I do not have a memory card, and as my treo is for work and it could not be reimbursed, I do not want to purchase one. So snapper taking up almost 15 megs is more than half of my treo's memory. I eventually have to delete snapper mail and reinstall it. I have had to do that twice and it is getting annoying. If I don't do that, then I eventually cannot receive new messages, or only 1 or 2 at a time.

Does this sound familiar to anyone and does anyone have suggestions on how to actually force snapper to delete these old messages?
    Wow. Great subject line!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    Wow. Great subject line!
    That helps!

Under the "info" page from the home menu, snapper says it is taking up 700k. However, if I look at the "records" section, snapper has 1578 records. Under the "delete" section of the home menu, it says that snapper is taking up 14506k.

--SNIP--

Does this sound familiar to anyone and does anyone have suggestions on how to actually force snapper to delete these old messages?
    I notice that too. Only my snapper DOES reduce in size SOMETIMES when I delete or purge. I would love to get it working all the time, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith80209
    Wow. Great subject line!
    lol!
    May I suggest you look at ChatterEmail - it stores all of its mail on the SD card, getting away from the problem you are experiencing with SnapperMail. As a note, I am a registered user of both programs and use ChatterEmail exclusively. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmp
    Has anyone else had this problem, or even better, know how to fix it?

My snappermail (v. 2.32) currently has 0 messages in my inbox, filed, drafts, outbox, sent, or trash folders. I have emptied each folder into the trash, I have purged each folder, and I have emptied my trash and purged the trash folder.

This has been a recurring problem where although I delete and purge all my messages, snapper somehow retains information about them and builds up to a gigantic size. I do not have a memory card, and as my treo is for work and it could not be reimbursed, I do not want to purchase one. So snapper taking up almost 15 megs is more than half of my treo's memory. I eventually have to delete snapper mail and reinstall it. I have had to do that twice and it is getting annoying. If I don't do that, then I eventually cannot receive new messages, or only 1 or 2 at a time.

I had the same problem as you, even for messages stored on the card, the RAM memory requirements are more with snappermail than with chattermail. That is the main reason why I switched to chatter.

One thing that snapper has, that chatter does not have, which I miss, is that snapper can transfer IMAP messages directly to your Treo SD card, and you can keep them on your treo after you have deleted them from your server. It is a nice feature if you have limited storage on your IMAP server but want to keep archived messages for reference on your treo.

It does not seem like Chatter is actively working on developing this feature, unfortunately.
    cellmatrix -

You can store all messages directly to SD card (months before this was possible on Snapper); also, attachments get stored directly to SD card.

You can delete IMAP messages on the server and leave them on the Treo as well, as long as you turn off "Sync Messages". VERY few people use Chatter this way, but it will work.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter
    cellmatrix -

You can store all messages directly to SD card (months before this was possible on Snapper); also, attachments get stored directly to SD card.

You can delete IMAP messages on the server and leave them on the Treo as well, as long as you turn off "Sync Messages". VERY few people use Chatter this way, but it will work.

Marc
    wow that is a fast comment there Marc, thanks!
    I will give it a try.

I am not sure why more people do not want to do this. I think it is helpful to have an archive of messages on my Treo that I can easily search. It is similar to the way many people use spotlight to manage their mail for Mac OSX.
    If you want an archive, then you should use an IMAP server and folders there (which are backed up and extremely reliable, as opposed to a Treo).

Marc
    Marc, I cant do that, like I said, my email IMAP server has limited storage, they only give me 500 mB at my work email.

Thats why I periodically archive older messages onto my computer and I make sure to back up periodically.

But even though I archive onto my computer, it is very helpful to have an extra copy of the archive mail on my treo away from my computer.

So I appreciate your advice on how to do this. Thanks!
    07 October 2006

I have a Treo 600 and use Snappermail and Fastmail. My ISP is MSN and cell provider is T-Moblile.

After using Snappermail for over two years my device refused to pull anymore emails. I was getting a message saying out of memory or some such and that old messages numbering 49000 plus could not be opened or something like that.

I had been deleting messages daily and would Empty Trash every day or so. I thought that took them off my device. I had never used Purge and did not know what that was for and have had difficulty finding information anywhere that explained it.

I took a chance a week ago and used Purge. The device immediately began acting much much less sluggishly and it immediately began pulling email.

End of problem there.

Robert in Austin, Texas
    Got this directly from Snapper a while back. I do this every month or so.

Using fileZ or other OS level file browser, delete these 3 files:

Snapper - MsgContent-Snpm
    Snapper - MsgList-Snpm
    Snapper - MsgMime-Snpm

NOTE - Doing this will wipe any messages saved in internal memory on your device AND the first time you get mail after doing this, Snapper will re-download as many "new" messages as you have it set to get.

Good luck.
    I thought Snapper could handle this sort of thing on its own? I've always used imap, so I've never kept any number of emails on the phone, but seems it could do it on its own.
    Snapper does use a lot of internal memory. Mine is using 2.9mb. But since I have 36mb left on my 700p, I'm not too concerned at this point. The one thing I do like about Snapper vs. Chatter is the ability to download a particular email. What I mean is when I want to full download a particular email from a few days back, I'm able to do this with Snapper without syncing all new emails to my phone. Call me impatient I guess.
    I too, am a convert from Snappermail to Chatter -- the interface wasn't as snappy, it was a memory hog to boot on my 600. I'm now on a 650 and like the rest of the world, moved my apps and data to the SD Card, but the interface is so intuitive, I'm going to have a hard time moving to a windows client when/if I have to make that jump.
  16. jagooch
    ok, I'm a long time Snapper mail user, but with the problems I am having with memory and rebooting ( snapper just lost all of my email ), along with the fact my work does not allow me to connect my treo to my work computer ( but I can connect the SD Card! ) , sold me on Chattermail.

If there is a way I can install chatter using just the SD card ( no sync is possible ) , I will have it today. Otherwise I will get it tomorrow when I am home.
  17. jagooch
    Quote Originally Posted by jagooch View Post
    ok, I'm a long time Snapper mail user, but with the problems I am having with memory and rebooting ( snapper just lost all of my email ), along with the fact my work does not allow me to connect my treo to my work computer ( but I can connect the SD Card! ) , sold me on Chattermail.

If there is a way I can install chatter using just the SD card ( no sync is possible ) , I will have it today. Otherwise I will get it tomorrow when I am home.
    Got it and I love it so far. The only things I need to learn ( assuming they are possible ) is to have all email delivered to a single folder, and to have the ability to highlight a larg number of messages and delete them all at the same time.

Other than that, it is goodbye Snappermail!
    You can set up a "Summary" folder in Chatter which shows all messages together (but can color-code them by original mailbox). Also, you can use spacebar to select/deselect arbitrary messages and then act on them all at once with menu commands.

Marc
  19. jagooch
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    You can set up a "Summary" folder in Chatter which shows all messages together (but can color-code them by original mailbox). Also, you can use spacebar to select/deselect arbitrary messages and then act on them all at once with menu commands.

Marc
    Neat. Is it simple to do? I switched to the summary folder and did not find any option to include mail from other folders in the summary folder.

Thx,

John Gooch
    In the mailboxes that you want in the Summary, do "Edit Mailbox" -> "Other", check "Summary" and pick a color.

Marc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast