Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    PALM for its arrogance in telling us what we need? As in "you don't need Wifi on the 700P when you have EVDO," etc.

Or

The fanboys/girls who support and agree with Palm?

FTPLTL (first-time poster, long-time lurker of over 2 years). This issue of the release of the 700P has finally pushed me over the edge.

FWIW, I am tired of all this foolishness! I've owned 2 clies, the 600 and now the 650. The only reasons I have stayed with Palm are my software investment and Palm's innovation. Frankly, I think I've got my money's worth from my Palm sofware and Palm has now made the fatal business error of dictating consumer's needs rather than responding to their consumers. They should be wowing and wooing us, not patronizing us.

Did they learn nothing from Apple? I think it's time to start looking elsewhere for my techno-fix.

The 700P is a blatant disappointment as far as I am concerned. No Wifi, no Bluetooth 2.0, no A2DP, and fr**king FrankenGarnet in a 2006, supposed top-of-the-line smartphone costing $600?! Are you kidding me?! I'm supposed to be thrilled?!

Those WM5 devices have not only caught up; they are now also overtaking. They have the convergence down and the "wow factor." The only things they lack are the ultra hi-res display and the one-handed usability, and, believe me, they are working on it.

Wise up Palm or it's adiós!

"And now the end is near..." [He sings as he gets off his soap box and rides quietly off into the sunset.]
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Well, I fit into the second category. I don't really care if there's wifi in the Treo. I'm more concerned about the form factor, which nothing can beat. I don't care of the 8125 or the 6700 has wifi because they're huge and awkward devices. Of course I'd love to see wifi in a Treo, but EVDO is damn fast anyway and I'm sure the UMTS/HSDPA Treo will be too!

Joe
    Im with quake, sorry treo...not! I'm actually really excited about the 700p but who knows, i may be in your position 2 years down the line. All i know is that if there was one device that did everything perfectly, everyone would have it and there would be no questions about it. Simply by the number of threads of anger/rage/dissapointment, whatever it may be, we can all agree the 700p is not perfect but its good enough for all practical purposes.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I guess in the case I am with treo...not, I have a 650 I love it, but then again I loved the 300, until it decided to only go a-roaming when I was on sprint's service, but where I live there is no evdo, probibly not coming either, some places where I travel there isnt even digital roaming so I have to take two phones along with me, I only have the memery half full on the 650 so the 700 offers absolutly nothing, and that is a shame considering the cost and the "Inovation" it is just a golofied 650 IMO
    Terry
    ME. Oops, thought I'd answer the thread topic question first.

Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    .... I'm more concerned about the form factor, which nothing can beat. I don't care of the 8125 or the 6700 has wifi because they're huge and awkward devices. ..Joe
    To each his own, but as an owner of the 8125 and a former owner of the 600 and 650 (twice, once on Sprint then on Cingular) the 8125 is not a "huge and awkward" device. It is thinner and shorter than my 650 (and thank heavens NO antennae) and .1" thicker than a Treo - and that's because it has a much bigger, easier to type on slide out keyboard.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I think treo's main job was to make something that appeals to everyone. Even if it is a small update, so many people loved the treo 650, even with its faults, that Palm didn't wan't to have a complete makeover, just a mid-life cycle.

Think of it as a successful car. Car X came out in 2003 and has been selling like hot cakes. IN 2005, no car maker in thier right mind would do a complete makeover. 2004 they update the navigation, 2005 they add a tire-pressure monitor system, 2006 they add something else and then 2007 is the mid-life face lift with a few internal changes. Maybe an engine sway but nothing huge. When you have something successful, stick with it. Do you think that many people who spent $40,000 on that car in 2003 are going to buy it again in 2005 b/c of a new navigation system and a few other fixes. Absolutely not.

The car maker, as with the treo, is working on things like the reliability and little bugs. Why add a new palm OS into the treo and a whole lot of other stuff that is guaranteed to have TONS of bugs and a whole lot of complaints. For my money, the 700p is great.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Just read my signature - it explains all...
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the replies, guys. My issue is not with the 700P alone, but also with Palm's apparent arrogance and obvious lack of vision. I am also ticked off by the sycophants who are joining the "Palm express" and daring to tell people what they do or do not want/need. I don't see much of a future for a tech company that underperforms and then tries to convince consumers that they want too much.

RB
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Profundity and conciseness! This man's a genius.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not!
    Profundity and conciseness! This man's a genius.
    Not! And I prove it around here nearly every day.
    I don't think Palm is trying to tell us what we "need". They are attempting to persuade that while they can't add WiFi to Garnet due to software limitations (apparently the device becomes unstable when they try to implement it) but say instead at least with Evdo it's not quite as big a deal.

You talk about their arrogance while you second guess their decisions without the benefit of their experience, knowledge and research.

Which one seems more arrogant to you?? A company that has lead the handheld industry for 10 years or a user who "knows" all the answers based on his own perspective??

Now who's arrogant??
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Of course...the general application...form factor...the masses...wanna be cools to power users. If Palm treo sales took a dive, then they would listen to the cunsumer. We all need to band together and not buy the 700p and make a stand and render them powerless and make it our market with listening ears...Oh, Ohhhhhh, what thread is this...I just woke up, and can't wait to get my hands on a 700p.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    I don't think Palm is trying to tell us what we "need". They are attempting to persuade that while they can't add WiFi to Garnet due to software limitations (apparently the device becomes unstable when they try to implement it) but say instead at least with Evdo it's not quite as big a deal...

Now who's arrogant??
    That's a lot of spin there Dragon; are you dizzy yet...

Palm has clearly stated that EV-DO is good enough and you don't need WiFi...I've never seen an admission (maybe you have on an internal document) that Frankengarnet cannot juggle cellular, 3g and WiFi without required resets to switch radios. That's something we "outsiders" have theorized based upon observation and Shadowmite's work.

Don't get me wrong; Palm is in the game for the money, as any good company should be. However, they built their enviable industry leading reputation on LEADING at the high end (Palm Vx; Palm VII; Palm Treo) with high price new leading designs. Since the Tungsten and Treo 600, they have routinely been industry following devices still carrying a premium price (show me ONE feature that either line has incorporated that some WM, Symbian, or Linux device has not done first since the introduction of those two models).

So, we techno-geeks get jaded and steamed, but the middle of the road adopters are satisfied. As I said in an earlier post, producing a "little above average" is a few points above mediocrity. But then again, the national television networks beat Palm to the punch since they've mastered that for years and Palm is just learning their lesson....
    Last edited by dstrauss; 05/20/2006 at 11:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Oh, Ohhhhhh, what thread is this...I just woke up, and can't wait to get my hands on a 700p.
    Nope, its the "I just woke up and can't wait to get rid of my treo" thread...posted, ironically, in TREO CENTRAL
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    That's a lot of spin there Dragon; are you dizzy yet...

Palm has clearly stated that EV-DO is good enough and you don't need WiFi...I've never seen an admission (maybe you have on an internal document) that Frankengarnet cannot juggle cellular, 3g and WiFi without required resets to switch radios. That's something we "outsiders" have theorized based upon observation and Shadow mite's work.

Don't get me wrong; Palm is in the game for the money, as any good company should be. However, they built their enviable industry leading reputation on LEADING at the high end (Palm Vx; Palm VII; Palm Treo) with high price new leading designs. Since the Tungsten and Treo 600, they have routinely been industry following devices still carrying a premium price (show me ONE feature that either line has incorporated that some WM, Symbian, or Linux device has not done first since the introduction of those two models).

So, we techno-geeks get jaded and steamed, but the middle of the road adopters are satisfied. As I said in an earlier post, producing a "little above average" is a few points above mediocrity. But then again, the national television networks beat Palm to the punch since they've mastered that for years and Palm is just learning their lesson....
    I haven't been around many, or any apple ipod sites but can't it be argued that the ipod is analogous to the treo. You'd be amazed at how many other mp3 players offer so much more for so much less money. Fm players, more battery life, greater memory, and all for less. Why wouldn't anyone buy the product with more in it for less money!??!It is the buyers of the ipod and similar products(treo) that keep these companies offering less for more money.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    I don't think Palm is trying to tell us what we "need". They are attempting to persuade that while they can't add WiFi to Garnet due to software limitations (apparently the device becomes unstable when they try to implement it) but say instead at least with Evdo it's not quite as big a deal.

You talk about their arrogance while you second guess their decisions without the benefit of their experience, knowledge and research.

Which one seems more arrogant to you?? A company that has lead the handheld industry for 10 years or a user who "knows" all the answers based on his own perspective??

Now who's arrogant??
    Disclaimer, SPRINT EMPLOYEE.
    I enjoy your posts Dragon, but I thought the new guys should know that your point of view isn't from a comsumer point of view.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Hmmm....
    Don't really want to take sides here and I don't reply often, BUT I agree that not giving a path to wi-fi on the 700p is very limiting. Example: I currently STILL use a Treo 600 due to ACT! not being compatible with the 650 and I could not find a reasonable workaround. I purchased a 700w and tried it hoping I could solve my software issues and possibly and finally use the WEB on my Treo SMARTPHONE. I came to find out that unless I was in an urban environment EVDO is NOT available. I happily returned it.

Now the 700p is released and most if not all of the features previous versions lacked (for my needs) seem to have been addressed or improved with the exception of wi-fi - that is aggrevating and honestly a marketing Mis-take!

Oh yes, I will still buy the 700p with the hope and anticipation that Palm will correct the wi-fi issue and at least make it suable with 3rd party sd card solutions.

I can hope can't I?
    You cant tell me they can put a man on the moon but they can't get Palm software to work with WIFI. That is completly ridiulous. The answer is quite simple. However small, there is at least some % of people who couild skip EVDO and could use WIFI instead when they need it and not need to buy a data plan. If people have Wifi, they will need less EVDO which means less $ for the wireless carriers. That is why it's not included. PERIOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by olympus1
    If people have Wifi, they will need less EVDO which means less $ for the wireless carriers. That is why it's not included. PERIOD.
    Completely agree

No matter what B.S story they try to sell, it will all come down to ^^^THAT^^^ in the end. Sprint/Verizon invested, and is investing too much money in EV-DO to take a chance that people will use that over Wi-Fi.

On the other hand, it is offered in the 700w($100 card add-on...more money after the $400-600 you already spent) so.....im speechless
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast