Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    I agree...free wifi vs. EVDO= wifi...butttttt, wifi is not the standard. I like to reap the benifits of a nice phat commission from time to time, but I need a base salary to be comfortable. Wifi is the commission, and EVDO is my salary. Until the wifi is consistant enough base, then it might be worthy of a good salary. I do think it should be offered on the 700p.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I agree...free wifi vs. EVDO= wifi...butttttt, wifi is not the standard. I like to reap the benifits of a nice phat commission from time to time, but I need a base salary to be comfortable. Wifi is the commission, and EVDO is my salary. Until the wifi is consistant enough base, then it might be worthy of a good salary. I do think it should be offered on the 700p.
    and EVDO is the standard? I think you have it backward my friend. WiFi is almost everywhere and doesn't rely on a carrier. EVDO is carrier specific, expensive and is currently available in limited areas. WiFi is the standard and only getting bigger.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    and EVDO is the standard? I think you have it backward my friend. WiFi is almost everywhere and doesn't rely on a carrier. EVDO is carrier specific, expensive and is currently available in limited areas. WiFi is the standard and only getting bigger.
    That is what I was saying...EVDO is the standard and my salary compared to the commision of Wifi Geatches.

Nevermind...
    I noticed the ?
    at&t iPhone3G
    It is getting to be everywhere, but not enough to rely on. A wifi signal is only so strong compared to your carrier signal. Wifi would have to be real big to want to cancel EVDO outl. I admit in certain areas where EVDO is unavailable or even worse service is gone, then the wifi option is awesome, but it is that only for now...an option. An option we should have on the 700p, no doubt.
    at&t iPhone3G
    It is getting to be everywhere, but not enough to rely on. A wifi signal is only so strong compared to your carrier signal. Wifi would have to be real big to want to cancel EVDO outl. I admit in certain areas where EVDO is unavailable or even worse service is gone, then the wifi option is awesome, but it is that only for now...an option. An option we should have on the 700p, no doubt.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    I was told that consensus is the absence of leadership, yet look what i see here^^^

Look what happens when i leave!
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    For a phone device.... Ev-DO would be the standard... but as a PDA, wifi is the standard... If it's a PDA phone, then it should have both, or at least support both (like the 6700 and the 700w). Palm should have included both, or at least given users option to use whatever they prefer....instead, they want to tell us that we don't need the other option and that it'll kill our batteries anyways
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    I was told that consensus is the absence of leadership, yet look what i see here^^^

Look what happens when i leave!
    Look ma, our n00bs growin' up. He growing fangs and evr'thang...
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not!
    But the issue is that WiFi's availability is growing and in very many cases it's FREE. I just saw a report that it will be made available in Central Park, NY in the near future.

Free WiFi vs. EVDO. I'll choose WiFi. Thank you very much.

And about the battery life thing...Thanks, Palm, but let ME worry about that. I might be wrong, but I think that's why the 700p has a user replaceable battery! I'd rather tote around an extra battery than be beholden to a carrier for internet access.
    OK, so let me get this straight. Some of you actually think that the SAME Treo being sold as a 700w that DOES include WiFi couldnt include WiFi on the Palm because Palm was worried about a battery life issue? Are you joking? Guys... the WiFi is an OPTION!!! Read again -- OPTION!!! If you dont want to buy a card you dont have to! Thus there is no battery issue. Never has been. And you think Windows Mobile 5 with only 32 MB would have a lesser issue with the battery when using WiFi?

It amazes me how consumers will make up so much BS just to convince themselves that corporate greed cant be behind deliberate decisions to have them part with their money in the fashion described. Marketing departments take advantage of this silliness that I am reading here.

Seriously guys, accept it. Palm knows that by finally giving you what MAY be sufficient RAM to last a while might not get you to upgrade your Treo soon enough. Now that so many things are taking advantage of WiFi, you will REALLY want to upgrade when the next one comes out with the card that is currently available IN PRACTICALLY EVERY SINGLE PDA PHONE. THE CARRIERS HAVE NOT PREVENTED NEARLY EVERY POCKETPC PHONE FROM HAVING WIFI.

FYI, many of you have not heard about the new dual mode phones which are the talk about making our current cell phones extinct. It isnt there yet but carriers have begun to accept that they need to face the music anyways and current WiFi isnt going to be what is really putting the dent in their bottom line.

Palm bent you over with the 650. They did it again with the 700w. Accept the fact that the third time is not a charm and it's deliberate. Now lets move on, stop making excuses for the incredibly greedy and short sighted people at Palm and enjoy the phones that we have for what they are...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    OK, so let me get this straight. Some of you actually think that the SAME Treo being sold as a 700w that DOES include WiFi couldnt include WiFi on the Palm because Palm was worried about a battery life issue? Are you joking? Guys... the WiFi is an OPTION!!! Read again -- OPTION!!! If you dont want to buy a card you dont have to! Thus there is no battery issue. Never has been. And you think Windows Mobile 5 with only 32 MB would have a lesser issue with the battery when using WiFi?

It amazes me how consumers will make up so much BS just to convince themselves that corporate greed cant be behind deliberate decisions to have them part with their money in the fashion described. Marketing departments take advantage of this silliness that I am reading here.

Seriously guys, accept it. Palm knows that by finally giving you what MAY be sufficient RAM to last a while might not get you to upgrade your Treo soon enough. Now that so many things are taking advantage of WiFi, you will REALLY want to upgrade when the next one comes out with the card that is currently available IN PRACTICALLY EVERY SINGLE PDA PHONE. THE CARRIERS HAVE NOT PREVENTED NEARLY EVERY POCKETPC PHONE FROM HAVING WIFI.

FYI, many of you have not heard about the new dual mode phones which are the talk about making our current cell phones extinct. It isnt there yet but carriers have begun to accept that they need to face the music anyways and current WiFi isnt going to be what is really putting the dent in their bottom line.

Palm bent you over with the 650. They did it again with the 700w. Accept the fact that the third time is not a charm and it's deliberate. Now lets move on, stop making excuses for the incredibly greedy and short sighted people at Palm and enjoy the phones that we have for what they are...
    Gee...thanks, Bill. Oh, say hi to the foundation for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    I'm getting sore just reading this post!
    The I5 beats this form factor in a heartbeat, but unfortunately Samsung dropped it and LG is going to be a long way off before they bring something to the market that will be anti-treo.

8125, 6700, and the Treo are all bricks in one form or another. None are phone first devices. The treo does come closer than the other two, but it's form factor can be beat.

But the bottom line is not one form factor is best. It's just best for you. As a smart man once said, the "P" in pda stands for personal (not universal).

Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I'm more concerned about the form factor, which nothing can beat. I don't care of the 8125 or the 6700 has wifi because they're huge and awkward devices. Of course I'd love to see wifi in a Treo, but EVDO is damn fast anyway and I'm sure the UMTS/HSDPA Treo will be too!

Joe
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571
    The I5 beats this form factor in a heartbeat, but unfortunately Samsung dropped it and LG is going to be a long way off before they bring something to the market that will be anti-treo.

8125, 6700, and the Treo are all bricks in one form or another. None are phone first devices. The treo does come closer than the other two, but it's form factor can be beat.

But the bottom line is not one form factor is best. It's just best for you. As a smart man once said, the "P" in pda stands for personal (not universal).
    'round here lately I've come to conclude that the "P" stands for Pissy-attitude. Unfortunately, it's contageous. Someone help me. I hate Ed Colligan and all his ilk. I think the treo is 4 pounds overweight and 6 inches too long. Help help help!
    why do people keep making the wifi issue about where evdo is not. You just don't get it. It's not about that. It's about being able to have it where a phone signal isn't an option. It's about having it for you to hop on your home or work network and do things you can't do over evdo. I'm not going to worry about dropping the signal through some network glitch when I'm on wifi. I know my speed will be consistent and most likley faster on wifi. This is still a PDA, and should have a wifi option as almost every pda does now.

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I agree. People can't seem to have opinions or debates without people being fanboys and defending things like they're on a religious crusade. Heck, I'm an i5 fanatic who has to switch, and I can't stand the Treo. But it is what it is, the only palm option at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    'round here lately I've come to conclude that the "P" stands for Pissy-attitude. Unfortunately, it's contageous. Someone help me. I hate Ed Colligan and all his ilk. I think the treo is 4 pounds overweight and 6 inches too long. Help help help!
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571
    why do people keep making the wifi issue about where evdo is not. You just don't get it. It's not about that. It's about being able to have it where a phone signal isn't an option. It's about having it for you to hop on your home or work network and do things you can't do over evdo. I'm not going to worry about dropping the signal through some network glitch when I'm on wifi. I know my speed will be consistent and most likley faster on wifi. This is still a PDA, and should have a wifi option as almost every pda does now.
    Thats what I said...if EVDO is not available or even worse NO SERVICE...I am covering all of my bases with the people who are more worried about speed than availablilty.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I gotchya. All good

Thats what I said...if EVDO is not available or even worse NO SERVICE...I am covering all of my bases with the people who are more worried about speed than availablilty.
    on another note...no mp3 ringtones or BT voice dial? Geez. coming from the i5, things like that I was taking for granted FOUR years and two generations later.
    I think that wifi is an important feature/option for those people who live or work outside the USA. 3G isn't cheap everywhere else in the world, so to be able to use wifi would be a huge cost saver. I think that with the current CDMA version, which is only for the USA, Palm will be able to get by with no wifi and pushing the merits of evdo. But if it wants to compete with other devices for the rest of the world it must come through with a 3G/wifi GSM version.
  19.    #139  
    My investment in POS started with my first Clie a few years ago when the Palm platform was cutting edge. Now Palm is beginning to trail further and further behind. If I were a first time convergence device buyer right now, I don't think I would choose a Palm-powered device. In terms of value for money, features, etc., many of the WM based smartphones have Palm beat. It's as simple as that.

Do you remember when you first saw and used Handspring's 600? Now that device was revolutionary and you knew it. The Treos since then have been ho-hum. They seem to have been designed by an accounting committee rather than by engineers. "Let's see...how can we milk our fan base with this form factor by providing as little innovation and improvement as we possibly can, but still charge a premium price."

And folks, the analogy of the automobile industry some have suggested is totally bogus. For one thing, the auto industry is a lot older and has already gone through its turbulent pioneer days. It is normal to see less radical innovation in an older industry. Although honest auto manufacturers in the US will tell you that it was this lethargy in the 80's and 90's that allowed foreign companies to gain increasing market share to the point of nearly putting many of them out of business. The formula was simple: more innovation, more features, less cost.

Another reason I don't accept the automobile analogy is that if I am buying a high-end automobile at a high-end price, I am well within my right to expect top-of-the-line features, not a wink and a promise.

Despite what some might think, I am not a Palm hater. I actually love my 650. I find it useful and stable. My concern is for the future, and the 700P is a disappointment that makes my concern grow. I just wish there were still dreamers and visionaries at Palm who dared to exceed their customers' reasonable expectations.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567