Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Alex, I'll take capitalization, punctuation and grammar for 800.
    hey now there was one period in there i saw it it was near the end of the paragraph and i admit that the grammer could have been a bit lacking but you could understand what was said the only thing i found annoying was all the commas
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    hey now there was one period in there i saw it it was near the end of the paragraph and i admit that the grammer could have been a bit lacking but you could understand what was said the only thing i found annoying was all the commas
    zackly!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    O' the subtlety
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    hey, at least the spelling was pretty good!
    You are. Well, you and Perry

Quote Originally Posted by treo...not!
    PALM for its arrogance in telling us what we need? As in "you don't need Wifi on the 700P when you have EVDO," etc.

Or

The fanboys/girls who support and agree with Palm?

FTPLTL (first-time poster, long-time lurker of over 2 years). This issue of the release of the 700P has finally pushed me over the edge.

FWIW, I am tired of all this foolishness! I've owned 2 clies, the 600 and now the 650. The only reasons I have stayed with Palm are my software investment and Palm's innovation. Frankly, I think I've got my money's worth from my Palm sofware and Palm has now made the fatal business error of dictating consumer's needs rather than responding to their consumers. They should be wowing and wooing us, not patronizing us.

Did they learn nothing from Apple? I think it's time to start looking elsewhere for my techno-fix.

The 700P is a blatant disappointment as far as I am concerned. No Wifi, no Bluetooth 2.0, no A2DP, and fr**king FrankenGarnet in a 2006, supposed top-of-the-line smartphone costing $600?! Are you kidding me?! I'm supposed to be thrilled?!

Those WM5 devices have not only caught up; they are now also overtaking. They have the convergence down and the "wow factor." The only things they lack are the ultra hi-res display and the one-handed usability, and, believe me, they are working on it.

Wise up Palm or it's adiós!

"And now the end is near..." [He sings as he gets off his soap box and rides quietly off into the sunset.]
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    Going back a ways...
    <<You can't tell me they can put a man on the moon but they can't ...>>

This phrase is used all too often to wonder why we can't do something.
    (Like include wifi on a palm frankengarnet treo)

But actually- I belive the assumption that we can go to the moon is in error.

We can't anymore, we forgot how! I heard somewhere that we developed all the technology, didn't document it, let those who did it retire or die, and let the tools used to build the Saturn V rust or be scrapped.

Although we know basically how it was done, we would have to reinvent the entire Apollo program. If people thought the space program was a waste of taxpayer dollars before, what if we failed to remember all the knowledge that went into getting there?
    Wasn't the space program supposed to increase our knowledge?

The above could be an urban legend, and I hope it is, I have nothing to cite.
    I just thought I heard it a few years ago somewhere. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong!

Likewise, does corporate America learn from its past? Does the Palm, IBM, Sprint, Verizon, General Motors, or whathaveyou of today have the ability to build on their history? Or are they doomed to repeat it , errors and all?

Microsoft and Apple may have the luxury of having their founders still involved in their companies. For most companies it isn't that way. Did Disney lose its way when Walt died? Where's Donnya Dubinski & Jeff Hawkins... With Numenta, not Palm.

In this world where CEO's go through revolving doors, it is understandable that companies don't learn and infuriate their customers. There may be more loyalty among the Palm (or any other company) fans than there are in the ranks of the employees of that company, even at the top levels. Even in Japan the days of going to work for one company and you being loyal to them, and they to you, for a lifetime... seems to be ending.

I really, really like Palm, and am not a fan of MS. Does that make me an obnoxious fan-boy? I can see where they need to do better. I do not say they can do no wrong. But if Vzn EVDO is the same as the data costs with them I am paying now... and if the other improvements in the 700P are as reported, it would still be a worthwhile upgrade for me to consider. Your Milage May Vary.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Going back a ways...
    <<You can't tell me they can put a man on the moon but they can't ...>>

This phrase is used all too often to wonder why we can't do something.
    (Like include wifi on a palm frankengarnet treo)

But actually- I belive the assumption that we can go to the moon is in error.

We can't anymore, we forgot how! I heard somewhere that we developed all the technology, didn't document it, let those who did it retire or die, and let the tools used to build the Saturn V rust or be scrapped.

Although we know basically how it was done, we would have to reinvent the entire Apollo program. If people thought the space program was a waste of taxpayer dollars before, what if we failed to remember all the knowledge that went into getting there?
    Wasn't the space program supposed to increase our knowledge?

The above could be an urban legend, and I hope it is, I have nothing to cite.
    I just thought I heard it a few years ago somewhere. Somebody please tell me I'm wrong!
    No. The Apollo astronauts were greeted by The Greys, who told them to stay away. That's why we stopped going.

http://fischinger.alien.de/Greys.gif
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    No. The Apollo astronauts were greeted by The Greys, who told them to stay away. That's why we stopped going.

http://fischinger.alien.de/Greys.gif
    I thought it was the greens? (These guys actually looks more blue)
    I think it is about time that people here just accepted the fact that Palm's business philosphy is to sell you as many Treos as they can by making them just lacking enough to want/need to upgrade. They aren't the only company that does this, however, they do have a monopoly on the Palm OS. These industries completely fly in the face of the the thinking that "creating competition means that there will always be a fight to put out the better mouse trap."

Palm 700p owners, get used to it. That painful feeling you are experiencing sitting down is the same one that you had when you purchased your 650. It's the same as those who moved from the 650 to the 700w. It's called consumer sodomy. Hopefully in the very near future Palm's mentality will result in a huge consumer shift as the market will perceive them as just what they are, selling old technology in a form factor that is no longer unique and the consumers will ignore them.

What is unfortunate is that this is the corporate way in the 21st century. The goal isn't to build a great company. It is for executives to selfishly suck it dry as much as possible since, after building a great nest egg for a few years at the expense of the shareholders, it aint their problem. Screw the shareholders. There is no honor amongst theives.

Except for scientists, few care to build anything great these days. They build crap, market it like it's great, and try to make you buy as much as possible. Accept it and hope someone puts Palm in its grave so we can get the phone that works for us. Best thing for consumers was Palm selling the OS (money into the hands of executives) which will now be licensed to various hardware manufacturers. It might take some time but you'll have that WiFi that could have been included by Palm long ago.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    I think it is about time that people here just accepted the fact that Palm's business philosphy is to sell you as many Treos as they can by making them just lacking enough to want/need to upgrade. They aren't the only company that does this, however, they do have a monopoly on the Palm OS. These industries completely fly in the face of the the thinking that "creating competition means that there will always be a fight to put out the better mouse trap."

Palm 700p owners, get used to it. That painful feeling you are experiencing sitting down is the same one that you had when you purchased your 650. It's the same as those who moved from the 650 to the 700w. It's called consumer sodomy. Hopefully in the very near future Palm's mentality will result in a huge consumer shift as the market will perceive them as just what they are, selling old technology in a form factor that is no longer unique and the consumers will ignore them.

What is unfortunate is that this is the corporate way in the 21st century. The goal isn't to build a great company. It is for executives to selfishly suck it dry as much as possible since, after building a great nest egg for a few years at the expense of the shareholders, it aint their problem. Screw the shareholders. There is no honor amongst theives.

Except for scientists, few care to build anything great these days. They build crap, market it like it's great, and try to make you buy as much as possible. Accept it and hope someone puts Palm in its grave so we can get the phone that works for us. Best thing for consumers was Palm selling the OS (money into the hands of executives) which will now be licensed to various hardware manufacturers. It might take some time but you'll have that WiFi that could have been included by Palm long ago.
    Check the expiration date on your milk. I think it might be a bit sour.
    Check the expiration date on your milk. I think it might be a bit sour.
    Do you just wake up angry every day?
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Come on Haggar. Palm can do no wrong! They are omnipotent.
    I dated a girl back in high school who was omnipotent...
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo

And to think people think I am bitter. Wow, and it really is as simple (according to Ed C) that Palm is not adding wifi because it drains the battery to quickly. Makes sense to me. No cloaking mystery in this wifi issue. It is not engineering being held back.

Someone needs thier meds today...
    I thought concensus was when someone had ESP-like powers...

For example "She concensus before we walk in the door"...

Concensus is a drink filled with bitters and lots of alcohol...
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Whoever said that you people don't understand business was right on target. I work for a hardware manufacturer and I can assure you that we implement what the MAJORITY of our customers want. In my office, 11 people have Treos. I am one of maybe two or three that do anything besides get email and maybe stock prices or sports scores on it. These people couldn't give a rat's *** about WiFi on their Treo. Even the guy who bought that WM unit (8521?) doesn't use the WiFi at all - and we have WiFi throughout the office.

Like it or not, I suspect that the number of people who want WiFi pales in comparison to the needs and wants of the consumer masses who have bought Treos. I tend to see Treos the most at the airport - leading me to believe that a large percentage of Treo owners are road warriors - and we don't depend on WiFi since it's still largely pay for play.
    Joe, your reason for not having wifi makes so much sense I am struck by the simplicity of the statement...EXCEPT, if no one uses wifi why does the Tampa airport now have a free wifi network for the travelers to use. To bad you didn't get hold of them before hand with your wisdom and they would have listened to you. I hope since 97% of the employees of your cmpany don't drive a Mercedes that means they should cease production also. You live in a micro-micro-micro environment and can hardly speak for the 5.9999789 Billion of the rest of us out there.

Ooops

Help! In one of his mad merge experiments gone awry, I have somehow been merged into the body of ronbo!! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/frown.gif Help me capture the evil ronbo, and put an end to this madness!!
    Munk: go to the nearest Hastings, rent this episode, follow the directions closely, and thank Capt. Kirk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnabo...TOS_episode%29
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    Ooops
    Man...now there's humility. I wish I knew where to get me some of that...
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Whoever said that you people don't understand business was right on target. I work for a hardware manufacturer and I can assure you that we implement what the MAJORITY of our customers want. In my office, 11 people have Treos. I am one of maybe two or three that do anything besides get email and maybe stock prices or sports scores on it. These people couldn't give a rat's *** about WiFi on their Treo. Even the guy who bought that WM unit (8521?) doesn't use the WiFi at all - and we have WiFi throughout the office.

Like it or not, I suspect that the number of people who want WiFi pales in comparison to the needs and wants of the consumer masses who have bought Treos. I tend to see Treos the most at the airport - leading me to believe that a large percentage of Treo owners are road warriors - and we don't depend on WiFi since it's still largely pay for play.
    I agree...I see wifi as more of an option NOTE; that should be included. Yes, there is wifi at airports, starbucks, etc. I am sure these fine establishments are not doing this just for treo users. A lot of people being business travelors or not do have laptops that have integrated wifi capabilities...including me, and I sure in the hell love wifi for those reasons. What I don't understand is if you are getting a strong EVDO signal on your treo at the airport...what the hell are you worried about wifi for. There is not a sufficient wifi network around, but there is a carrier network, which makes wifi an option, and an option the treo should have, so I am not against it. Now, if you lose signal with your carrier, than you would utilize your option of wifi. And I don't want to hear some of you saying wifi is so much faster...in other words, even if you have a solid EVDO signal, you just wanna jump around to wifi becasuse you can. If EVDO is there wifi is an option that is there if needed. Also, wifi does put a strain on laptop batteries...that is why manufacturers are putting efforts into saving juice everywhere else in the notebook. It still could be integrated, so I am not making excuses as well as the other devices that have it.
    at&t iPhone3G
  20.    #120  
    But the issue is that WiFi's availability is growing and in very many cases it's FREE. I just saw a report that it will be made available in Central Park, NY in the near future.

Free WiFi vs. EVDO. I'll choose WiFi. Thank you very much.

And about the battery life thing...Thanks, Palm, but let ME worry about that. I might be wrong, but I think that's why the 700p has a user replaceable battery! I'd rather tote around an extra battery than be beholden to a carrier for internet access.

I think the real key here is POWER. Users like me want to have the power to tell our carriers "go shove it" without losing our valuable internet access. We also want to be able to use services like Skype which bypass the traditional carriers. Carriers do not want to relinquish that power. They want/need us to be dependent.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast