Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by olympus1
    You cant tell me they can put a man on the moon but they can't get Palm software to work with WIFI. That is completly ridiulous. The answer is quite simple. However small, there is at least some % of people who couild skip EVDO and could use WIFI instead when they need it and not need to buy a data plan. If people have Wifi, they will need less EVDO which means less $ for the wireless carriers. That is why it's not included. PERIOD.
    These "carriers" are offering products that have WiFi. Palm's OS is old and cannot handle WiFi, therefore it's releasing products that are outdated BEFORE they hit the shelves. Blame Palm, not the carriers.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by olympus1
    You cant tell me they can put a man on the moon but they can't get Palm software to work with WIFI. That is completly ridiulous. The answer is quite simple. However small, there is at least some % of people who couild skip EVDO and could use WIFI instead when they need it and not need to buy a data plan. If people have Wifi, they will need less EVDO which means less $ for the wireless carriers. That is why it's not included. PERIOD.
    EVDO is more of a reliable source of data...The whole country is not HOT. I do think wifi is an important option that is a savier when you have lost service. Relying on wifi to me is like being commision only...I want a solid salary and the commision is an added bonus.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    Completely agree

On the other hand, it is offered in the 700w so.....im speechless
    Huh?
    Sorry, had to elaborate. The wi-fi card is offered on the 700w so if Palm made a deal with the devil (sprint/verizon) to go against wi-fi, there would be no wi-fi card for the 700w
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Sorry, had to elaborate. The wi-fi card is offered on the 700w
    gotcha.
    I'm not a big WIFI fan living in the city and all but my gripe is the form factor.It's alot of money for such a bulky device and I don't buy the battery life theory.

What I would really love to see from any manufacturer is a slim flip smartphone I do wonder why Samsung got away from flip smartphones, maybe my wishes are years ahead of the technology but for now it's my slim phone and a 12" inch laptop.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I'm not a big WIFI fan living in the city and all but my gripe is the form factor.It's alot of money for such a bulky device and I don't buy the battery life theory.

What I would really love to see from any manufacturer is a slim flip smartphone I do wonder why Samsung got away from flip smartphones, maybe my wishes are years ahead of the technology but for now it's my slim phone and a 12" inch laptop.
    I think you're looking for the Treo 700WD. The WD stands for "Wet-Dream".
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I think you're looking for the Treo 700WD. The WD stands for "Wet-Dream".
    Any word on the release date?? Heard it makes you breakfast in bed...i'm going to check palm's website for more info!
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Any word on the release date?? Heard it makes you breakfast in bed...i'm going to check palm's website for more info!
    Just remember...this wet dream is coming from your dear old Palm. Don't expect it to make breakfast for you...
    Huh? Why don't you get a wm phone and call it a day. Nobody point a gun at you and force you to use a Treo.

I trouble shoot wifi modem at work and I don't even use it at home. Why? I had my house wired up way before the wireless router came out.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Nobody point a gun at you and forced you to use a Treo.
    You sure about that? Cause, there's someone next to me...and he's got something pointed at me...thats the only reason i keep typing on this board SOMEONE SAVE ME!!!
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Huh? Why don't you get a wm phone and call it a day. Nobody point a gun at you and force you to use a Treo.

I trouble shoot wifi modem at work and I don't even use it at home. Why? I had my house wired up way before the wireless router came out.
    me tarzan, you jane
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not!
    My issue is not with the 700P alone, but also with Palm's apparent arrogance and obvious lack of vision.
    Hell, the 700p's got POWER Vision! http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...ies/tongue.gif

Seriously, I have a lot of compassion for your argument - Palm has been sticking their head in the sand for far too long, and arrogant as they can be when their user-base (aka negatively-paid beta testers) let them know about issues that they discover.

If you believe I am being hyperbolic - look at the way Palm first treated their customers who warned them the NVFS was giving us only 40-60% of the internal memory of the Treo 600 (which it was assumed to replace). First, Palm denies it (and talked down to the people who went to the trouble - repeatedly quoting from the technical specifications that the chip size is the same). A few days later they somewhat admit it (seemingly claiming to have "discovered" it), but then telling prospective purchasers (and returners) that it should only be noticed by "power users" and everyone who asks can have this free 128MB SD card that will somehow mitigate the problem. About 6 months later they release a firmware that finally gets about 90% of the functionality of the Treo 600, then for some reason they apparently move on to building a Windows version of the Treo, not even releasing a 64Mb version 650.1 to make the thing useful enough to justify it's price!

Treo 650 has been selling well simply because they screwed up and didn't release the 700p a year-and-a-half ago. If they had, Palm would likely OWN the smartphone space - instead they even have serious competition from garbage like Windows Mobile!

I've been using Palms far too long to give up my own head-in-the-sand optimism that *this* model will be a serious step forward. But I've been burned many times before by Palm, so I'm keeping the fire extinguisher handy.

Let's see if the attitude of Palm has changed from "you 'got nowhere else to go" to "here's a top-of-the-line product that should serve you well through the length of the warranty or your cell contract." ....If it's the latter, maybe I'll even buy some of their stock.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Well, seeing as how M$ built the software for the treo 700w, and palm built the software for the other treos, and that the problem is the "software capability" (or just that they just won't allow it), then that should explain it for you. Palm is the one with the deal with the carriers. M$ doens't have a deal with the carriers, but with Palm.
    Geatches,
    I'm glad you enjoy my posts. You are 100% correct about my perspective being that of a Sprint Employee. I figured almost everyone knew that.

What I stated is my personal opinion and not in any way reflective of my company's position.

Cheers,
    Dragonman
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Dragon, I work for Sprint as well and agree with you also. Everyone knows that even if the new Treo had wifi, 2gb of memory and dispensed kool-aid, someone would start griping and whinning about something . Sprint nor Palm owes us anything. The fact of the matter is there are other alternatives. There are plenty of smartphones out there............why do you continue to buy and then bash Treos? No one made any of us buy a Treo or choose Sprint. Start you own company, invest your own money and then you can call shots. The problem is most people on this forum don't really know how businesses operate. We must understand that we on Treocentral only represent a fraction of Palm target audience. Most people that have a Treo 650 don't even use 80% of it's features. Lighten up a little..............it's only a phone. With that being said, I would like to see these improvements and wifi would be nice Peace
    sitting on the sideline watching them beat up on each other...this is kinda fun...
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not!
    PALM for its arrogance in telling us what we need? As in "you don't need Wifi on the 700P when you have EVDO," etc.

Or

The fanboys/girls who support and agree with Palm?

FTPLTL (first-time poster, long-time lurker of over 2 years). This issue of the release of the 700P has finally pushed me over the edge.

FWIW, I am tired of all this foolishness! I've owned 2 clies, the 600 and now the 650. The only reasons I have stayed with Palm are my software investment and Palm's innovation. Frankly, I think I've got my money's worth from my Palm sofware and Palm has now made the fatal business error of dictating consumer's needs rather than responding to their consumers. They should be wowing and wooing us, not patronizing us.

Did they learn nothing from Apple? I think it's time to start looking elsewhere for my techno-fix.

The 700P is a blatant disappointment as far as I am concerned. No Wifi, no Bluetooth 2.0, no A2DP, and fr**king FrankenGarnet in a 2006, supposed top-of-the-line smartphone costing $600?! Are you kidding me?! I'm supposed to be thrilled?!

Those WM5 devices have not only caught up; they are now also overtaking. They have the convergence down and the "wow factor." The only things they lack are the ultra hi-res display and the one-handed usability, and, believe me, they are working on it.

Wise up Palm or it's adiós!

"And now the end is near..." [He sings as he gets off his soap box and rides quietly off into the sunset.]
    BOTH, to tell you the truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    BOTH, to tell you the truth!
    Hey Lady, where have you been?
    I just thought there was no real need for me to come around and keep speculating about the 700p, since I already have 4(well more ) phones. But now that it's out, I'm back for a short time.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast