1.    #1  
    Ok. The 700p is going to be my first smartphone and my first Treo. I am tied into VZW (family contract recently renewed when had to get new phone for the wife, plus seems to have better and more consistent coverage than Sprint in my area), so I don't know if this affects people's opinions. However, I am curious about what y'all consider to be essential applications for the Treo.

I am a long user of Palm (Handspring Visor Prism on up to Tapwave Zodiac2 currently), but am not sure what kind of apps specific to the Treo/smartphone environment I should be looking into.

I have plenty of time to listen since I cannot upgrade until my trade-in window open at the beginning of August.

So, any suggestions folks?
    There was another thread about this very topic, and I got some new apps out of it.

some of the ones that I use on a daily basis:
    - Directory Assist
    - SplashID
    - Sudoku Lite
    - Yahdice
    - Mobipocket Reader
    - TCPMP
    - pTunes
    - Backupman
    - CardReader
    - pssh
    - FileZ

Quote Originally Posted by headgamer
    Ok. The 700p is going to be my first smartphone and my first Treo. I am tied into VZW (family contract recently renewed when had to get new phone for the wife, plus seems to have better and more consistent coverage than Sprint in my area), so I don't know if this affects people's opinions. However, I am curious about what y'all consider to be essential applications for the Treo.

I am a long user of Palm (Handspring Visor Prism on up to Tapwave Zodiac2 currently), but am not sure what kind of apps specific to the Treo/smartphone environment I should be looking into.

I have plenty of time to listen since I cannot upgrade until my trade-in window open at the beginning of August.

So, any suggestions folks?
    It was only a matter of time...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    The apps that are essential (to me):

- Snappermail
    - Verichat
    - Agendus
    - Docs To Go (premium version, not the gimped included one with the Treo)
    - ZLauncher
    Profiles, Profiles, Profiles..., unique to the Treo.

(unless the 700p has this one in-built, like happened to SharkMsg (LudusW))
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    KeyCaps650

http://www.geekandproud.net/software/keycaps650.php

It's the first thing I put on any of the Treo 6xx's I've owned.

Joe
  7.    #7  
    Guys.

You're missing the point.

I said I was familiar with PALM... it is TREO I am unfamiliar with. Half the apps mentioned here don't have anything to do with Treo, but rather with Palm in general.

I was asking about apps specifically useful for the treo smartphone, not just palm PDA.

Things like voice dial stuff, mp3 ringer apps (like mring), mail, chat, etc. (I am already familiar with Verichat and love it, but other like apps woudl be great to know about.)
    Last edited by headgamer; 05/20/2006 at 10:12 AM.
    TreoAlarm
    VoiceDial
    Guess we're gonna need a '6 essential apps' thread for the 700p now!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    Guess we're gonna need a '6 essential apps' thread for the 700p now!
    Along with the "Best BT headset," "Whats this blinking...", etc. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Along with the "Best BT headset," "Whats this blinking...", etc. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
    So true Munk, so true!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  12.    #12  
    Thanks Munk. Nevermind.

It's amazing how people can get such helpful comments and assistance when new to a product.

/sarcasm off

I'm off to google and find what I need.
    Was that a 'thank you'? Sheesh.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Was that a 'thank you'? Sheesh.
    Scott,

That reply was meant for those who didn't offer any guidance or tips, but rather just used the thread to poke fun at the treo n00b (of which I freely admit I am).

It just always irks me when people ask honest questions of people who have had more experience (I admitted I was knew to the Treo scene and wanted some advice from the experienced users), and rather than getting honest answers, some chose to use the thread in an unproductive way... we've all seen it in every forum we've ever been to. You know, the standard "RTFM" or "It's called search you n00b!" responses.

I guess I just don't think that way and it annoyed me.

To all the others that did offer suggestions, much appreciated!

If you want to chalk it up to a bad day (for me), fine.... I'm cool with that. I am just as guilty. I treated Munk in a way that I would not have appreciated being treated. And for that, Munk. I apologize.

Now, back to those essential apps....
    for mp3 ringtones I use Phone Technician - www.hobbyistsoftware.com
    for alarms and Led control I use Butler - www.hobbyistsoftware.com
    for launcher I use initiate - www.hobbyistsoftware.com
    I am not sure if the 700 actually needs this, but if it does, Volumecare for louder volume - www.gotreosoftware.com
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    One thing to do is to go to PalmGear.com and check out the "Treo Smartphones" tab at the top for the bestselling Treo software.
    Here is my list:

Freeware:
    KeyCaps600, LEDOff, Profiles, netClock, RLock, ScrBtn, TreoMax, ResetMe, NV Backup, DiddleBug, DBCacheTool, 3XCom, HandyShopper, pFuel, Projects, PowerClip, FieldPlus, SoundRec, pedit, ChangeMe, WatchMaker
    Shareware:
    QuickNews, SharkROM, SplashPhoto, RBackup, Palmary Clock, DateBk, DataShield
    Games (Freeware):
    FreeJongg, Spades
    The bold ones are very useful with (and maybe unique to) the Treo.
    Game over!
    Chatter has always been my must-have app for my 600, 650, and (shortly) my 700p. You'll have real-time, push email with an IMAP or Exchange account! For more complete information on this wonderful app, visit the Developer's Corner.