1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if you can just hotsync your info from your 650 to the 700P OR are you going to have to reinstall every program?

I know that there are quite a few files that are going to be different, but I plan on getting the Verizon version and was just hoping for an easy transition.
    Helpful Mode: ON

Much in here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=114128

Helpful Mode: OFF
    Easy isn't always best.....I prefer the longer "step by step".....while "alotta" steps they short and easy

Procedure for upgrading from one Palm Device to Another:

1. Synch old Treo 650 for last time.
    2. Go to C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username] and copy the entire folder somewhere else just to be safe.
    3. If your old Treo stuff is in C:\ProgramFiles\Palm install new Treo 700 Palm Desktop to C:\ProgramFiles\Palmone
    4. Hard Reset your new 700.
    5. Hotsync new 700
    6. Install ROM Update if applicable
    7. Copy the following files:

address.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\address to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\address
    memopad.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\memopad to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\memopad
    todo.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\todo to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\todo
    datebook.dat from C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\[your username]\datebook to C:\ProgramFiles\PalmOne\[your username]\datebook

8. Hotsync ... RTFM and use the phone this way for 3-7 days to make sure no issues. Download latest versions of all your programs in meantime.
    9. Install Northglide's Uninstall Manager to track your program installations.
    10. Install PowerRUN or an equivalent to move programs to card.
    11. Install Programs from Palm CD ... one program at a time...that is one program per HotSync
    12. Use Dataviz built in tech tool to move Docs2Go to card
    13. Again use for 3-4 days to look for problems.
    14. Go thru your programs list and rank programs from small and uncomplicated to big, heavy memory users. Any hacks or progranms that require they be installed in main memory best left to last. Again one program per Hotsync so UM can track what files go in with what program. Only reasoning here is that you can probably get away with installing 6-7 small , simple programs per day whereas something big or which ties into system calls should be left to last and be installed alone. This will better enable you to diagnose any conflicts.
    15. Install a few programs per day making sure no problems have surfaced, again starting with smallest/simplest to largest/most complicated.
    16. If you can manage, I'd leave biggies like TomTom, EDGE, Snapper /Chatter to last and install those last few 1 program a day.
    17. If at any point problems kick up, you can easily retrace your steps with UM to find the offending program.
    18. Make sure you have a backup progam installed. Check Best Utilities thread for listings and url's.
    19. This shoulda been listed earlier but any programs that tie themselves to a specific device will need new registration numbers.
    20. Delete the OLD C:\ProgramFiles\Palm\ directory not the new [B]PalmOne one you just created.
    @ Jack
    Except for #6 (why?) and the days waiting for problems, that is how I always moved from one Palm device to another. That is what I miss about POS -- it is sooooooo easy to install apps. No registries to worry about -- just the extra data files that don't always get deleted when removing an app. Uninstall Manager sounds worthwhile.
    I think Perry and Jack had a deal instruction here http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108492

I had it bookmarked ready for action ;-)
    Well I no longer have this problem. My 650 died on me today. So I took it into Sprint and since I had the insurance they gave me a brand spanking new 650. So since I was planning on selling my old 650, I decided to sell the new one and hopefully will get alot more for it than I had planned on. I immediately did a ESN swap to my old 300 to use temporarily until the 700p is available.
    wolfpack, nice timing what is " ESN swap". that 300 come in handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit2
    wolfpack, nice timing what is " ESN swap". that 300 come in handy.
    ESN swap is where you take another phone and have your Sprint number moved to it. I had an old 300 that I just had my old 650's phone number moved to. That way I can go ahead and sell the 650 but still have a phone to use until I get a 700p. That old Treo 300 was not a bad little phone for it's time. I'm glad I kept it around. I couldn't believe it when it charged on up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Except for #6 (why?) and the days waiting for problems, that is how I always moved from one Palm device to another. That is what I miss about POS -- it is sooooooo easy to install apps. No registries to worry about -- just the extra data files that don't always get deleted when removing an app. Uninstall Manager sounds worthwhile.
    Because, as with windows, migrating from one OS to another invariably brings a bunch of crap alonmg for the ride. If you don't have UM on the device uninstalling an app will usually delete just thre prc. What about saved preferences files, data files and "hidden" files created by the author, amny of which even have different creator ID"s.

There's loads of posts about people trying to upgrade from a 600 to 650 who found no alternative but to hard reset and start all over. There's even threads about people just hard resetting and starting all over because there Palm just got too cluttered up and after reinstalling all their apps they mysteriously had several MB's of extra memory.

Let's say for example you tried an e-mail program that your old Treo just didn't run quite snappy enough. About half way thru the trial, you delete the program cause it's just too slow or takes up too much room. Now with the 700's extra oomph, you wanna try it again....if you upgraded, you ain't gonna get to do the trial again cause there's some small file somewhere that is gonna remember that you once did it on your old device.

As for the "wait and see" approach, too many people install 46 program 1st day and then come here with "wow, this phone sucks" messages. The list is a compendium of "sound advice" oft repreated here by many long time Treo users. The only way to know if it's a hardware problem is to use it with just the pre-installed apps. So many of us will advise to eleiminate that right away instead of spending all that time configuring programs only to do a hard reset and start all over to try and isolate why their Treo keepes resetting.....iften it's a carry over from an old devcie that is causing a conflict, an ambitions program, an old program that just hasn't been tweaked for NVFS or just two proigrams that don't just get along with one another