Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Dude, yours is arriving after the snow melts...........
    Hey...it's gunna be near 80 degree here today. I've always said I could never live anywhere where the temperature gets above my IQ. If we break 85 this summer, I may have to move...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Hey...it's gunna be near 80 degree here today. I've always said I could never live anywhere where the temperature gets above my IQ. If we break 85 this summer, I may have to move...
    I am thinging you may need to move to Anchorage to keep your promise to yourself.

Must be why I moved South...
    Just got finished posting in the other thread about how everyone will jump on board the 700P bandwagon right away....so I guess I'm going to have to disagree with you once again, Cranky...

I think the consumer market for products like the 700P is just getting bigger and bigger. Will Palm and the Carriers **** off plenty of current customers? Yep, you betcha (hey, I'm from Minnesota)... but the sheer volume of new buyers in the market and buyers coming from other products will simply overwhelm the disgruntled Mustang owners.

From a consumer product standpoint -- watch a demo of SprintTV. Look at how fast the web is on the 700P. You gotta admit that the skin they're using for Ptunes makes MP3 playing look fun and easy... and don't forget about what a great phone it is, too. THOSE are the things the masses are going to lust after.

Without respects to the actual tech specs... if you look at it as a consumer product and see a demo of what the 700P can do and then compare it to a PPC-6700, for example -- there simply is no comparison. Most of the WM5 devices are great for computer geeks and nerds like us (well, most of us are, anyway). But the end-user consumer -- the one who doesn't really want to use a computer so much as DO SOMETHING with their computer -- will see the slick demo of SprintTV and the easy click-click-done that you'll get with the Palm interface and I truly think it's a no brainer that it will have HUGE appeal to the mass market. (Okay...the mass market that's willing to spend $400...which IS out there)
    How short a memory we have some times. These are the same points which were used to get us to buy the 180 or 270/300/600/650 and the much hailed 700W and each time they overpromised and under-delivered. It will be less then a day after the first one is provisioned and we will see the complaints about Sprint TV being pixelized. The EVDO will be disappointing. There is not enough memory. She screen is different then the 650. The radio will be not as good. The camera will be lousy. The volume is not loud enough. The keyboard is awkward to type on. The backlighting on the keys are to dim. The backlighting on the keys are to bright. The keys are hard to read. Software won't load. Software causes the device to reset. The battery life is not long enough. The color of the case is bad. The headphone jack adapter is inconvenient. The 700P is slow. The MP3's don't sound good. Why does...blah blah blah...it goes on and on.
    Eh, look at that officially dissapointed thread that already started a while ago and the phone didn't even come out yet. How can you please people who are never satisfied? You have to go after the masses or Palm will be bankrupt long before just the people on TC are happy with the treo.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    ^^^ Can't we have a little unjustified, unrealistic optimism for a couple of weeks? Just a couple of weeks let us delude ourselves please. Geeezzz. lol

For the longest time “there wasn't a 700p,” now “it fails to deliver like all Treos.” Can't we put a couple of weeks of “wow, that looks cool” in the middle somewhere? lol

Seriously, I have yet to see a smartphone that didn't disappoint a little in multiple ways. Why would this be any different. You have to look at things in life from the “the glass is half full” perspective, dude. The “half empty” crowd just gets frustrated.
    I'd be half way happy if this wasn't such a half-a$$ed upgrade, and if I could get it for half the cost...
    Last edited by Insertion; 05/20/2006 at 09:24 AM.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    i guess i KINDA see the dissapointment from people who are coming from the 650 treo. As for me, my opinion means nothing because like i said before, anything is better than my Samsung SCH-A670.
    Its almost like going from being homeless to winning the lottery. Any food is great food when you haven't eaten in a week.
    Im sure when the next phone comes out, i'll be the first one on the "this next treo is a dissapointment" bandwagon after paying $400 (2-yr contract) for a treo 700p with a little less memory and a slightly worse screen.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Just got finished posting in the other thread about how everyone will jump on board the 700P bandwagon right away....so I guess I'm going to have to disagree with you once again, Cranky...
    I have to respectfully disagree with you, my spandex friend. I was a Palm lemming for years, but the mediocrity of the 700P (I know, I know, all things to all people) was the one step program I needed to break my addiction.

I'm the kind of dweeb who will spend more than I should (once paid $800 for a StarTac when they first came out) for the benefit of being a first adopter and stay up late at night trying to work out bugs. But, once again, the 700P cured me of my affliction (can I get an Amen?).

I like to think of myself as an average guy and if Palm has lost me, I'm guessing they lost a few other folks as well.

P.S. dstrauss, I need a link to an 8125 board so I can stay up late tonight.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    The "disappointment" will mostly be from 650 users who wanted a significant upgrade. This is simply a 600 version 3.0. Kinda like XP SP2 is (except MS gave that for free). No, it is not a major upgrade and it is an expensive upgrade at that. But for those who using much older devices or have not gotten into the smartphone market yet, it is an attractive device. Not many will spend $600 on it, buy loads wil spend $399. It simply takes advantage of a few things that were not available when the 650 was released (EVDO and WMV support). Everything else is just tweaked 650 stuff.

There really is nothing wrong with any of that. Yes, it is not extrememly exciting for 650 users. It is exciting for those still using a Kyo 7135 or old windows mobile device and very interesting for those who are using high end phones (ie Razr, etc) and are thinking about a smartphone. My personal take is that the only thing that stops this device from becoming the next iPod is the cost of service. If Verizon could get their rates down, or Sprint could improve their coverage a bunch these would be everywhere.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I have to respectfully disagree with you, my spandex friend. I was a Palm lemming for years, but the mediocrity of the 700P (I know, I know, all things to all people) was the one step program I needed to break my addiction.

I'm the kind of dweeb who will spend more than I should (once paid $800 for a StarTac when they first came out) for the benefit of being a first adopter and stay up late at night trying to work out bugs. But, once again, the 700P cured me of my affliction (can I get an Amen?).

I like to think of myself as an average guy and if Palm has lost me, I'm guessing they lost a few other folks as well.

I totally disagree with you - you OT posting gutter ***** (and I mean that in the most affectionate way possible).

First and foremost -- ANYONE who paid $800 for a StarTac is NOT an "average joe consumer". The average Joe paid $200 for a StarTac...and THAT'S when the StarTac started showing up everywhere...

Quote Originally Posted by ghiccup
    How short a memory we have some times. These are the same points which were used to get us to buy the 180 or 270/300/600/650 and the much hailed 700W and each time they overpromised and under-delivered. It will be less then a day after the first one is provisioned and we will see the complaints about Sprint TV being pixelized. The EVDO will be disappointing. There is not enough memory. She screen is different then the 650. The radio will be not as good. The camera will be lousy. The volume is not loud enough. The keyboard is awkward to type on. The backlighting on the keys are to dim. The backlighting on the keys are to bright. The keys are hard to read. Software won't load. Software causes the device to reset. The battery life is not long enough. The color of the case is bad. The headphone jack adapter is inconvenient. The 700P is slow. The MP3's don't sound good. Why does...blah blah blah...it goes on and on.
    My point was that REGARDLESS of the technical issues or specs -- the average consumer will LOVE this thing. If I'm not mistaken -- eventhough everyone around here pissed and moaned about the problems with the 180/270/300/600/650 -- haven't we seen a continued INCREASE in sales? Isn't Palm now selling more Treos than EVER BEFORE?!?!

The 700p is going to be a huge success even if there are problems and issues. That's just the way consumer electronics go! Does that mean I think it's a good thing? No. But I just can't see how it WON'T be successful...

AMEN!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/front_page.php All things WM5 geek site!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I think they'll get a lot of people to take that. Not everyone is as cool and technically saavy as us. Sprint can pull this when people come into the stores to upgrade to a 700. Some people probably just think they'd have to put the 650 in the trash anyway, or save it for some other reason.

Joe
    I totally disagree with you - you OT posting gutter *****...
    What's your point? A guy's got to make a living.
    haven't we seen a continued INCREASE in sales?
    Sales have gone up because of the 700W. As these n00bs (shout out to n00b) become familiar with the smartphone, they will bolt from Palm because of their inferior products. How many companies have gone by the wayside because they neglected their core consumer? Palm's continued ignorance will eventually bite the where the spandex don't shine and you and I will be yucking it up on the WM26 forum. Let's just hope ronbo has mellowed by then.
    Sales have gone up because of the 700W. As these n00bs (shout out to n00b) become familiar with the smartphone, they will bolt from Palm because of their inferior product.
    Every product has its shortcomings, be it a treo or another smartphone/pda. I can tell everyone is upset by the jump from the 650 to 700 but could it be possible that it was just meant to be a jump and not a complete overhaul. Maybe it was intended to just improve upon what was bad and save the ALL NEW treo for the 750/800, whatever the name will be. Like i said before, i believe the 700w/700p is just a mid-life cycle, hence the few button changes and updates. I'm almost 100% sure and would bet money that the next number change(700 -> 750/800) will be a completely new treo. Thinner, faster, new OS. So 650 users, just wait another year, or 2....or 3
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    What's your point? A guy's got to make a living.

Sales have gone up because of the 700W. As these n00bs (shout out to n00b) become familiar with the smartphone, they will bolt from Palm because of their inferior products. How many companies have gone by the wayside because they neglected their core consumer? Palm's continued ignorance will eventually bite the where the spandex don't shine and you and I will be yucking it up on the WM26 forum. Let's just hope ronbo has mellowed by then.
    And which facts do you base this on? I think the market has spoken loud and clear for decades that they'll take 2nd class product as long as it's easy to use and does what it's supposed to do.

I think that propellor hat you're wearing is a bit snug. You might wanna take it off and give your brain access to a bit more oxygen you factless OT gutter ***** (and I mean that in the most affectionate way possible).
    And which facts do you base this on? I think the market has spoken loud and clear for decades that they'll take 2nd class product as long as it's easy to use and does what it's supposed to do.

I think that propellor hat you're wearing is a bit snug. You might wanna take it off and give your brain access to a bit more oxygen you factless OT gutter ***** (and I mean that in the most affectionate way possible).
    Get your head out of your... nevermind. Nice Avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    Every product has its shortcomings, be it a treo or another smartphone/pda. I can tell everyone is upset by the jump from the 650 to 700 but could it be possible that it was just meant to be a jump and not a complete overhaul. Maybe it was intended to just improve upon what was bad and save the ALL NEW treo for the 750/800, whatever the name will be. Like i said before, i believe the 700w/700p is just a mid-life cycle, hence the few button changes and updates. I'm almost 100% sure and would bet money that the next number change(700 -> 750/800) will be a completely new treo. Thinner, faster, new OS. So 650 users, just wait another year, or 2....or 3
    I recall the same thing being said when the 650 came out - this is an upgrade, but wait until the next one comes out. Well, the 700 is here (over a YEAR later!) and in my humble opinion, it's a weaker upgrade than the 650 was. Sooner or later you have to realize that Palm is a company on the decline (at least in terms of ideas and technology) and it may be time to jump ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    How short a memory we have some times. These are the same points which were used to get us to buy the 180 or 270/300/600/650 and the much hailed 700W and each time they overpromised and under-delivered. It will be less then a day after the first one is provisioned and we will see the complaints
    Yup. The uncensored user forums - regardless of all the B.S. noise - still have some of the best "real world" information on a product's problems and good points. Serious and minor problems usually show up in the forums long before the manufacturer gets out of "marketing" mode and back to the reality of admitting problems and fixing them..

The Treo 650 is a prime example of this process. Hopefully Palm finally got proactive on the 700p (the specs seem to indicate they actually listened and designed around some serious complaints), time will tell - and it'll be reported in the Forums first.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I recall the same thing being said when the 650 came out - this is an upgrade, but wait until the next one comes out. Well, the 700 is here (over a YEAR later!) and in my humble opinion, it's a weaker upgrade than the 650 was. Sooner or later you have to realize that Palm is a company on the decline (at least in terms of ideas and technology) and it may be time to jump ship.
    It's easy to say that they keep getting it wrong, but they appear to sell more with each passing revision, so they can't be completely crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    It's easy to say that they keep getting it wrong, but they appear to sell more with each passing revision, so they can't be completely crazy.
    Get at Em'
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast