Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Well i just got tomtom 5 with the globalsat gps and i have been using it for about a week now with great results. Here is my problem, i live in michigan and will be traveling to georgia in a few weeks. I had to install two map packs since the states are so far apart obviously. From what i can see i cannot find a way to get directions from here to there because i have to switch maps to get the georgia cities. What good is this if the maps cant be combined so i can get directions for my trip? Unless im missing something im very dissapointed that i won't be able to get directions from MI to GA. It seems like there has to be a way to do this i just cant find it, what if i was driving an either further distance like from michigan to california? It seems like no matter what map you are in you should still be able to bring up every state that has the city you are looking for and then it will just automatically go to that map when it needs to. Please help me with this. Thanks a lot

Ty
    There is the major roads and cities map (covers the whole country) that will work for most trips. Then switch to a local or regional map at your destination. In addition, there are many regional maps on the CDs (thats why there are so many). Depending on the size of your SD card, you can usually load a few regions and get full coverage over a large area. Originally I thought this would be a problem, but after using Tomtom, it hasn't really been an issue.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    There is the major roads and cities map (covers the whole country) that will work for most trips. Then switch to a local or regional map at your destination. In addition, there are many regional maps on the CDs (thats why there are so many). Depending on the size of your SD card, you can usually load a few regions and get full coverage over a large area. Originally I thought this would be a problem, but after using Tomtom, it hasn't really been an issue.
    After posting i found the major roads and cities map and installed them which let me find the city i was looking for (buford, GA). Althought it found that it won't find the road that i need that the address is on. I planned on switching to the map that GA is in once i got into that map area unless there is a way to make it find the road or something like that by using the major roads and cities map. Also, what do you mean by the "many regional maps" Are you talking about the southeast, new england, canada, etc. or can you pick different maps? Thanks for the help
    Yes, I think he was talking about the southeast, NE, Canada, etc. regioal maps.
    You might want to try this trick. Load in the map that has the address of your destination. Use the “Contact Navigation” to get TomTom to show you the map of where the destination is. Tap the cursor and label the destination as a favorite. Switch maps when you get near you destination and get TomTom to navigate to your favorite.
    I stuck every darn map in the box on the SD card....hmmm let me plan a drive from NY to Guam . To do that trip, I assume you know how to get top "da main road" by ya house so I'd start out with the major roads map and the once in the SE region switch to that region's map.