1.    #1  
    i am new to the treo world
    (just got a 650 w/ cingular)
    i have my e-mail account w/yahoo
    and set up versamail to talk to yahoo via pop
    but it sounds like imap is better (more efficient, faster ect....)
    i don't think yahoo supports imap, so will chatter or fastmail
    give me imap and let me keep my current e-mail adress
    i hope thats not too dumb a question
    thanx
    jenkzy
    Chatter is just a client (like Outlook, T-Bird, etc...) and supports IMAP, but in of itself does not give you IMAP. Your email server needs to offer IMAP.

So...if your email host offers IMAP, Chatter can take advantage of this. The big free online providers (Y!, Gmail, Hotmail) don't offer IMAP. But there are several places that do. Fastmail does, and offers it free. (Some limitations.) I've used it in the past, but it became more and more unreliable.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    thanx for the info
    i will look into fastmail
    jenkzy
    You should also look into Everyone.net . They provide IMAP support and are a very reliable email provider.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    I have a paid subscription level with Fastmail and have had no issues on reliability. Down time is inevitible with everything and there is not a company out there that has not experienced down time. In the last four years there have been two outages in my area and those have been for very short periods of time.

With Fastmail I have good response times. With the laptop on at home and logged in via the home network, email hits just as fast as with another one. There are times it hits the Treo first and other times the laptop.

Ben
  6.    #6  
    thanx for all the input
    so if i understand this correctly,
    my e-mail server (yahoo) does not support imap,
    ok..is there a way for me to use something like everyone.net or whatever
    in conjuntion with yahoo so i dont have to change my e-mail adress
    but get all the benefit of imap?
    cheers
    If Yahoo supports email forwarding (I'm not sure), then you can have Yahoo forward to a free Fastmail account. Use your free Fastmail IMAP account to receive the Yahoo forwarded mail. Free Fastmail accounts dont provide SMTP support, so you would have to continue to use the Yahoo SMTP server info.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Free Yahoo does not support forwarding. You need a paid account.
  9.    #9  
    allright
    now its getting clearer
    i do have a premium account so forwarding is possible,
    so i need a free fastmail account and... chatter?
    or do i :- )
    IMHO, Chatter is a must. There is a free 30 day demo, try it out you wont be sorry.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Quote Originally Posted by kevijenkz
    allright
    now its getting clearer
    i do have a premium account so forwarding is possible,
    so i need a free fastmail account and... chatter?
    or do i :- )
    You'll need Chatter and an IMAP account (make sure it handles the IDLE command for PUSH.)

Fastmail will work, as will others like fusemail, everyone.net, and Marc may still have an offer for IMAP hosting (through everyone.net)

Once you've decided on an IMAP server, forward your mail to it, and then set up Chatter to your fastmail (or whichever you choose) account. You can then set up an SMTP profile on Chatter for your outgoing mail to appear to come from your Yahoo account.
    Last edited by Insertion; 05/18/2006 at 10:43 PM.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12.    #12  
    many thanks everyone
    i just got an acct. from everyone.net
    also downloaded the 30 day trial of chatter
    i will have to wait a few days until the everyone acct. is active
    but i expect to be up and running with impap sometime next week
    cheers
    k.j.