Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    It 'Ignores' the phone call just like the 'Ignore' button does today and allows you to send an SMS to the caller (for instance "Can't talk right now, in a meeting, I hate you, etc..."
    Since people have problems with my Einstein quotes, I will now quote my true hero: Homer Simpson.

"Doh !'
    It'll send the call to voice mail and send the caller a text message. For example, if you're at the movies and your phone rings, you hit "ignore with text" and send the caller a text message that says "at the movies" or whatever you want it to say.
    This is what Palm claimed couldn't be done on the Palm OS and then Sharky did. They've now implemented it on their own because they're such coding geniuses.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    This is what Palm claimed couldn't be done on the Palm OS and then Sharky did. They've now implemented it on their own because they're such coding geniuses.
    Was it Palm or MS that claimed that? I thought it was MS....
    It's been too long, I don't remember, and I'm too lazy to search. I thought it was Palm, but perhaps someone else less lazy than I will find us a link?
    http://www.ludustech.com/sharkmsg/

Here it is... MS's Senior VP said it...
    Well there you go. But Palm's reps didn't deny it. I guess the joke's on Palm's programming team, then, since if Peter's statement is true it means that they aren't so smart and it took them a lot longer to do what a 15 year old (?) was able to do pretty quickly.
  9. JJL
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    It'll send the call to voice mail and send the caller a text message. For example, if you're at the movies and your phone rings, you hit "ignore with text" and send the caller a text message that says "at the movies" or whatever you want it to say.
    Excuse my ignorance but how does this work if the person who called you didn't call from a cell phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by JJL
    Excuse my ignorance but how does this work if the person who called you didn't call from a cell phone?
    Well I'm not sure about Verizon (or any other carriers for that matter), but Sprint actually has a text-to-landline feature, in which you can send a text message to a landline phone. The landline will ring, and the text message will be read to the call receiver. If you have Sprint, you should try it sometime, it actually works quite well.

EDIT: But let me just say that this only happens to work because Sprint offers that feature. Who knows, maybe Palm will even only give you that option if the call is from a mobile number. Otherwise, if Sprint didn't offer this, then I guess it wouldn't work for landline phones.
    Does any know how to set up messages so that they are available with "Ignore with text"? I had a 700w for a SHORT time and that was a feature.

davidnotdave
    Yes, sprint has a landline feature which is great. I called my phone from my desk phone and hit ignore with text, typed in a short one. It was sent and the land line phone said I have a message blah blah. But what was interesting was I got a text message and part of it said "std rates apply"
    Did anyone else notice this. Are we going to pay for every little thing on this phone? I think it should be part of the package like call waiting.
    no you dont get charged i believe thats part of the SMS fee's your already paying
    Quote Originally Posted by davidnotdave
    Does any know how to set up messages so that they are available with "Ignore with text"? I had a 700w for a SHORT time and that was a feature.

davidnotdave
    On your main text screen (where you would create a new text message) tap the quotation-marked logo at the bottom right. You can create canned messages here for future use.

Then, whenyou ignore with text, click the quotaions and choose the canned message you want, then just hit send.
    Thanks Jaharr - that was it! I had a 700w for a while and the setup was more straight forward. This will work just fine, in fact I tested it out and the 700p (sprint) sent the message Sprint to Landline - GREAT FEATURE!

davidnotdave
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    no you dont get charged i believe thats part of the SMS fee's your already paying
    Correct, as long as you have a text messaging plan you are covered.
    my pleasure David.
    Just a quick tip. When you type in your canned responses for future use, make sure you have one that says," if you left a voicemail, I'll call you back." Otherwise if you just say you'll call them back, they may not leave a voicemail and expect a call. Also if they're calling from a landline, it's so quick to respond, that they may get the text to landline response as they're listening to your voicemail or leaving you one.