Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Without getting into an OS war...
    I am in the market for my first Treo and now that I know that Sprint will carry both models I am curious what are the major differences between the two OS and what model would be better for casual/moderate use. What are the pros and cons of each model. Thanks
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Do a search, this has been covered many times.....

Basically, most people will agree that the 700p is better than the 700w. More user friendly, more memory, higher resolution screen... the only advantages I can think of for the700w are SDIO wifi support and built in push mail support. And it might be better for multimedia...
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    How could you say most people agree that the 700p is better than the 700w when the 700p isn't out yet. That is the most ridiculous statement. The P and W have been developed for different users. In the end the W has a lot more functionality than the P.
    Quote Originally Posted by heckj
    In the end the W has a lot more functionality than the P.

Please elaborate.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Unless you really need WM5, get the 700p. Personally, I prefer 700p because it has a higher screen resolution and a cheaper data plan (via Sprint).
    How could you say most people agree that the 700p is better than the 700w when the 700p isn't out yet. That is the most ridiculous statement.
    Though the statement of which you speak may have struck you as ridiculous, I would argue that many more ridiculous statements have been made.

In the end the W has a lot more functionality than the P.
    How could you say "in the end the W has a lot more functionality than the P" when the 700p isn't out yet. Pot, meet Kettle.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    Though the statement of which you speak may have struck you as ridiculous, I would argue that many more ridiculous statements have been made.

How could you say "in the end the W has a lot more functionality than the P" when the 700p isn't out yet. Pot, meet Kettle.
    Well at least I'm a justified kettle... I gave reasons for my statement. He just said it offers more functionality and never explained why...
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I give you one there. In all fairness, we will not be able to answer this question for a few months atleast, until P users can get a fair idea of what is actually offered in the new operating system.

We do know that it is a tie in the design.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Truthfully, I must say that the 700p is probably the better choice. The 700w is really a sorry example of a Windows Mobile device. In trying to make it more "Palm-like" it ruined many of the assumed advantages of a Windows Mobile Treo.

No need to search. I think this is a discussion forum. It could have been called a search forum, but then there wouldn't be any discussion, and no reason to search. If you get bored discussing, stop, and someone else might take your place. That's fine. I don't feel like searching since threads usually get off topic, like I'm doing now, so save it. Then again, I think I've said this before, and I bet you could find it if you do a search .
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    One of the most obvious differences where wm5 wins is in multi-tasking. I can have my music playing while checking email or surfing the web or working with another application. I can switch back and forth without losing my place. Try that on the P
    W: 60MB user available memory
    P: 60MB user available memory
    P wins since WM apps. are naturally larger than Palm apps.

Wifi functionality: W wins since the P doesn't support wifi SDIO cards.

One handed use: P wins. As reported by W owners, one handed operation is not great compared to Palm.

Everyone feel free to add to this list.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Multi-tasking: W wins
    I would argue that it is reasonable to expect the 700p to be improved over the 650. As many reviewers preferred even the 650 over the 700w, a little inductive reasoning might lead one to the conclusion that they will prefer the 700p even more.

But the only thing that really matters "in the end" are our subjective preferences.

--
    Mike
    Resolution: P wins by a landslide.
    The P can "multi-task" to a degree, but nowhere as close to the W.

I can play music on the P and still do other stuff. I can write memo and switch to another app., switch back to memo and all my info. will be there as I left it.
    One of the most obvious differences where wm5 wins is in multi-tasking. I can have my music playing while checking email or surfing the web or working with another application. I can switch back and forth without losing my place. Try that on the P
    I'm pretty sure you can play music in the background with both the 650 and 700p... I don't have either to test this out, but maybe someone else can confirm this for us.

The multitasking you're referring to is being able to have multiple apps run at the same time. Sure this is nice, but on the Treo 700w, its lack of memory makes this a problem for many people.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    In all seriousness, most of the reviews are BS. Most of these writers have a bias towards Microsoft whether they want to admit it or not. I was the same way before I got my W, I have always been a mac user and never felt that I would go with a microsoft based phone. I had the 600, and felt it was extremely unstable and have enjoyed the experience on my 700w.
    P = Mac Compatable
    W = Maybe Mac Compatable "soon" with the help of thrid party software that might be available "soon"
    Trust me, I'm a producer.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    the recent update has fixed lots of these issues. I can run several apps at the same time with no problem.
  20.    #20  
    I guess my question would be, are the features that one OS has over the other so great that one would lean towards one model. For example (based off of reading), MW has multi-tasking, a "flashier" GUI, Wireless SD NIC drivers, etc. Palm's GUI is more of a "get me to where I want to go without tons of menus" approach. What else does the Palm have (that the MW doesn't)? I am looking for the differences and I am looking for feedback from current 650/700p (for those who got to preview it) users and current 700w users as to whether those differences have "changed their lives". if that makes sense.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast