Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My personal opinion is that while WM5 is a far better technical OS, it's just not as good as PalmOS. I think that Palm did a great job of making sure the 700w is the best possible WM5 layout for one-handed use (compared to some of the other devices out there) but I still think the edge goes to the 700p in this round.

And if you have a 650, there's an even greater incentive. You can basically take a 700p and sync it as a new device (as if you came off a hard reset) and voila! -- everything is there and works. I had to reinstall Ringo (because of the change in the default mp3 player) but everything else just worked.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heckj
    try the new beta version, works great
    I thought Activesync was always a beta version...

I did use the latest version as of January 2006 and was totally underwhelmed. I have never seen AS work well enough and stable enough for me to "like" it...but I've been able to tolerate it...maybe I'll give it a go some day when I'm feeling lucky...
    try the new beta version, works great
    That has been said with each release.

I, personally, do not even like the operation of ActiveStink. I've always wanted an option to sync on-demand.

There's nothing like burning a DVD and then accidentally placing your mobile device in the cradle--just to charge it--only to have ActiveStink hog enough resources to render the DVD a coaster. On a fast PC, I should add.

I still have an iPaq, which I rarely use. I make sure ActiveStink isn't even loaded on my PCs till I tell it too. And once it's done, I kill it (using, of all things, "KillActiveSync").

Please note I am certainly not anti-Microsoft. Indeed I used to write propag... err "evangelical" articles for Microsoft's Mobile Devices Website. And they actually paid me to do it. We were constantly getting "hints" about how important it was to crush Palm. I still have my sticker with the Palm logo covered by a red circle with a slash through it ("No Palms Allowed"). Little did they know, as they struggled with--and delayed--"Smart Phones" and Phone Edition kludges, that that was where the PDA market was headed.

--
    Mike
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Music
    You can do that with Pocket Tunes and the Web on the 650.
    Do what? When you post like this...can you include a snippet of the post you're referring to? For a second I was trying to figure out how to do Activesync with Pocket Tunes and the Web on a 650 -- MacGuyver where are you?

How does that work? I quoted a post that came AFTER me? Sheesh...heh. Something's screwy 'round here...
    How could you say most people agree that the 700p is better than the 700w when the 700p isn't out yet. That is the most ridiculous statement. The P and W have been developed for different users. In the end the W has a lot more functionality than the P.
    Well, after reading through 2 1/2 pages I think you are down by a two to one margin.

- posted by my Treo 650 - "it's better than your 700w"
    heckj what are you talking about. The updated killed the 700w. I have the 700w with the update. After i updated my phone you cant really muti-task like running internet explorer and Agile Messenger.One of the programs will just close by itself or if you use a program called orbs and you stream your music to the windows media player the internet explorer will close. You would have to open internet explorer and and wait till it dials in to VZW #777 network then change the song. Before the update the 700w didmt have these problems.I recommend people not to get the 700w. The microsoft OS on the treo is not the way to go. I have nothing against windows but Palm's OS seems to be just made for the treo. I hate to say it but i am sorry i bought the 700w. Now I have to kick out some more cash for the 700p.
  7.    #47  
    All (ok, maybe not all) of these posts are really helpful. Anyone else?
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    im with you bro...the 700w is a nightmare
    How could you say most people agree that the 700p is better than the 700w when the 700p isn't out yet. That is the most ridiculous statement. The P and W have been developed for different users. In the end the W has a lot more functionality than the P.
    I think it is a logical extension of the fact that almost every published review of the 700w ends with a statment to the effect that the 700w is the best WM5 device out there but that it still falls short of the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    What else does the Palm have (that the MW doesn't)? I am looking for the differences and I am looking for feedback from current 650/700p (for those who got to preview it) users and current 700w users as to whether those differences have "changed their lives". if that makes sense.
    Here's my Big 4:

-Available memory 52 MB on 700p to 9-11 MB on 700w
    -320 x 320 screen to 240 x 240
    -an't remote wipe data on 700w if you don't have it hooked to exchange server.
    -1 handed operation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinman!
    I agree with your sentiments.

Please note that you should be able to schedule an appointment and choose the time-zone it is in. But I find the "change appointment time by default" to be horrible.
    --
    Mike
    The only fix I know of is to book everything into local time - I adjust my CST flights to EST , for example, so that when I change time zones the times are right. It would be really great if Outlook would recognize different local times and keep them straight. The current behavior is pretty poor - fortunately I go west generally so I get to the airport hours early.

I'm seriously considering swapping my w for a p - the real reason I bought the w was for the EVDO connectivity - I've found the multitasking less than useful (especially since the 2 is a little low on memory) other than for web browsing - if the p caches pages then that will be enough for me. The p, with more memory than the 650 will get me past my biggest problem with my 650 - once I installed Goodlink I had very little room for any other programs.

Finally, I'm a PalmOS fan - I find WM to be much less user friendly and intuative (and I've used MS Mobile OS since WinCE 1.0).

It'be nice to have Skype (for international calls) and SelectRadio but I can live without them.

BTW - are you the same Tinman from pic and ppcthoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    The only fix I know of is to book everything into local time - I adjust my CST flights to EST , for example, so that when I change time zones the times are right. It would be really great if Outlook would recognize different local times and keep them straight. The current behavior is pretty poor - fortunately I go west generally so I get to the airport hours early.
    Alas I was headed back (west) when I got stuck in Tulsa. I scheduled the appt. in AZ, which at the time was two-hours behind Tulsa (we don't utilize DST here). Ergo, what I thought was an 8:30 PM flight was really 6:30 PM instead.

Oh yea I didn't word the phrase "choose the time-zone it is in" properly. What I meant, and this was definitely a kludge, was that I used to change time-zones before actually creating the appointment. This is not much different than manually calculating the time while entering an appointment, and IMO is still not a workable solution (though I did start to use "Correct Time," but even with that I had to remember to actually run it to update my appointments--every time I changed time-zones).

Finally, I'm a PalmOS fan - I find WM to be much less user friendly and intuative (and I've used MS Mobile OS since WinCE 1.0).
    Me too. I had the first WINCE device released--on the first day it was available. Here's a link to a little review I wrote about it (Casio's first Cassiopeia), nearly 10-years-ago:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....1087b351e8a0ca

BTW - are you the same Tinman from pic and ppcthoughts?
    Yes sir, that would be me (and let's not forget Brighthand!).

Regards,
    Mike

Oh yea I didn't word the phrase "choose the time-zone it is in" properly. What I meant, and this was definitely a kludge, was that I used to change time-zones before actually creating the appointment. This is not much different than manually calculating the time while entering an appointment, and IMO is still not a workable solution (though I did start to use "Correct Time," but even with that I had to remember to actually run it to update my appointments--every time I changed time-zones).
    You'd think CESD or iambic would figure out a graceful way to deal with time zones (although I haven't used DBK in a while so it may already do that)

Edit - I spoke to soon, From CSED DBK6 beta notes:

TimeZone management allows multiple items in different timezones to be displayed with adjustments in your current timezone.

Looks even better for me swapping the w for the p.

I wonder if the network time has a GMT offset included? Then you could keep local time and calender time (if the calender app included the offset in it's timestamp) and everything could work correctly.

Me too. I had the first WINCE device released--on the first day it was available. Here's a link to a little review I wrote about it (Casio's first Cassiopeia), nearly 10-years-ago:
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....1087b351e8a0ca

Yes sir, that would be me (and let's not forget Brighthand!).

Regards,
    Mike
    My first WinCE review was for a Sharp clamshell - interesting device, but no match for teh HP LX series or the Newton 2K variants.

Ah Brighthand - I did some stuff for them, and tehn they did a big change and I haven't really followed them since. I see Palm Godess is still around as well.

Jim
    Last edited by jcoffey; 05/20/2006 at 08:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    If you are determining which is better because of the price of data and both will be on Sprint using the same data plans that is a very poor factor to judge which is better.
    You got me on that one. Data plan should be off the table.
    Three things I hated about the 650 which will color my decision about whether to go for the 700p or not:

1) Random freezes on the 650, usually at inopportune times. It was never clear whether this was a Palm issue or a carrier/network issue. For example, I use my Treo at an alarm clock religiously, and for the Treo to freeze and become inoperable in the middle of the night was aggravating to say the least. This is not to mention random resets. The jury is still out on whether this is fixed with the 700p -- if it is, this might sway me to get the 700p. (The 700w, meanwhile, has been remarkably stable.)

2) Inability to multitask when browsing, emailing, etc. For example, I would want to click on a link in an email to a launch a webpage. I don't like to stare blankly while a webpage is loading, so I would want to, say, return to reading my emails. This was not possible with the 650, because when I returned to Blazer, the webpage was "lost". I am able to do this successfully with the 700w, and it actually works reasonably well (the lack of memory makes it work less well than it should, though). Similar situations arise when I am, say, copying and pasting text from a webpage. These little day-to-day examples are where true multitasking has made using a Treo better. I don't think the 700p will be able to do this, but maybe the EVDO speeds will make waiting less of an issue.

3) Blazer on the 650 disappointed me greatly. I was never able to get complex websites to finish loading. Say I had to buy a movie ticket or reserve a hotel -- forget it on the 650 -- frames, forms, secure pages, something would always cripple Blazer (and lead to a reset). IE on the 700w has worked much better (and is highly underrated, IMO!!) and the integration with WMP is pretty smooth.

Of course, the 700w/WM5 has its own problems which have been tirelessly mentioned here. Not enough memory to multitask well (mostly an issue only with IE which is a memory hog). Use of calendar and contacts is okay, but stodgy and definitely not as easy as Palm OS. And Vindigo is STILL not available for WM5, which was/is almost a deal-breaker for this yuppie urbanite.
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    I guess my question would be, are the features that one OS has over the other so great that one would lean towards one model. For example (based off of reading), MW has multi-tasking, a "flashier" GUI, Wireless SD NIC drivers, etc. Palm's GUI is more of a "get me to where I want to go without tons of menus" approach. What else does the Palm have (that the MW doesn't)? I am looking for the differences and I am looking for feedback from current 650/700p (for those who got to preview it) users and current 700w users as to whether those differences have "changed their lives". if that makes sense.
    Don't forget to mention the thousands of apps available for Palm for everthing conceivable. Most of which are free or much cheaper than those on WM.
    styletap guys i have used it the only thing i have had a problem with is zlaucher
    How do these 320x320 Palm apps. look in StyleTap on WM's lower res screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    How do these 320x320 Palm apps. look in StyleTap on WM's lower res screen?
    they look suprisingly well
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123