Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Uh oh! I just realised - I need you to send me the overlay file from your Treo because I have removed all the French files from my Treo. Do you have Filez? If so, I need you to find a file in the Treo's RAM called HsExtensions2.0_frFR.prc and send it to me.
    If I change the English one I have and send it to you then all the language settings on your Treo will turn to English!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  2.    #22  
    Here the file.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks, I'll get right on it.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Okay, here's the adjusted file. Just copy it to the main memory of your Treo and perform a soft reset. Tell me if it works how you wanted.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  5.    #25  
    Questions (sorry!):
    #Should I rename the file removing "joss"?
    #Save to ROM? How?
    #Did you change upper letters too?

Jorge
    #Should I rename the file removing "joss"?
    No, just keep it as it is, it will still work.
    #Save to ROM? How?
    Just copy it to your SD card from the computer, then use Filez to copy it from the SD card to the 'Internal' part of your Treo.
    #Did you change upper letters too?
    Yes I did!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  7.    #27  
    YES!! It is working but...

there is a little mystake:

letter "a" (small) second option is "" (instead of "")
    Jorge
    Damn! I'll change it now.....
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Here you go:
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  10.    #30  
    So what can I say?
    Checkmate THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
    It's working perfectly, COOOOL.

You are a VERY SPECIAL MEMBER of this forum!

Jorge
    No problem. Remember, if you have to hard reset at any point, you will need to reinstall the HsExtensions file.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Checkmate.... your mission should you choose to accept, it is to make the sign first in order on the alt key!

Or better still change the $ function to by default. i.e. press option, H to get a .

Could you do this one for me
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    No problem. Remember, if you have to hard reset at any point, you will need to reinstall the HsExtensions file.

Or put it in ROM...it works! (be sure to remove the old one)
    Checkmate.... your mission should you choose to accept, it is to make the sign first in order on the alt key!

Or better still change the $ function to by default. i.e. press option, H to get a .

Could you do this one for me
    I was actually thinking about doing those things anyway! I'll give it a try.
    By the way, did you know that the sign is first ALTernative for the L key?
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I just tried swapping the dollar sign '$' with the pound sign '' on the H key but all that happened was Option+H still brought up the '$' sign and there was no longer an ALT list available! That one's a bit beyond me I'm afraid unless anyone has any suggestions. I did put the '' sign before the '' sign in the ALT list though.

I've got pretty used to L+ALT to bring up the '' sign as it's the same number of keypresses as Option+H. The downside is that pressing L+ALT, then Option twice should allow you to then type a series of numbers, however the number lock disappears after you type the first digit. Try it yourself and see what I mean.
    Last edited by checkmate; 05/21/2006 at 08:55 AM.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I was actually thinking about doing those things anyway! I'll give it a try.
    By the way, did you know that the sign is first ALTernative for the L key?
    LOL No I didn't

That's a pretty quick way of getting the sign.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I just tried swapping the dollar sign '$' with the pound sign '' on the H key but all that happened was Option+H still brought up the '$' sign and there was no longer an ALT list available! That one's a bit beyond me I'm afraid unless anyone has any suggestions. I did put the '' sign before the '' sign in the ALT list though.

I've got pretty used to L+ALT to bring up the '' sign as it's the same number of keypresses as Option+H. The downside is that pressing L+ALT, then Option twice should allow you to then type a series of numbers, however the number lock disappears after you type the first digit. Try it yourself and see what I mean.
    I couldn't get the file to work unfortunately. However, the L+ALT tip sounds just as good.

I'd like to be able to do little tricks like this, how'd you work out how to do it? Is there a specific tool you use or something?

I read threads on here and on MyTreo.net about how people didn't like the Treo autocorrecting their words like i->I and so on. One thread mentioned the HsExtensions prc and how they edited it with a hex editor to stop these corrections, so I had a look with Filez at that file. When I noticed all the symbols in the order they appear in the ALT lists I figured I could use a hex editor to swap a few around.

At first I thought I could make the changes in Filez after I made a copy of the prc, but you can only edit pdb files that way. Instead I downloaded a freeware Hex editor for Windows called Cygnus Hex Editor FREE EDITION 1.00 and edited the prc in that.

The hex editor is split into two halves - the left is a series of hexadecimal numbers - ie: 01 05 4A 6F 00 and the right side is the corresponding symbols or text created by these numbers. Check out the attached screenshot where I've circled the corresponding figures on both halves (screenshot is from Filez).

The difficulty with the windows editor is that most of the symbols don't show up in the right-hand column because they're set differently (they're just shown as full-stops). What you need to do is note down the hex numbers that match up from Filez and then find them in the Windows version (pretty tedious, I know). Then you can simply swap one for another.

ie: if you want to change the position of the '' euro symbol and the '' pound sign in the alt list for the '$' button, you find out that = A3 in hex and = 80 (via Filez) then find the corresponding hex numbers in the windows Hex Editor and swap them around.

Remember to edit the left-hand column not the right (although you can highlight the figures on the right and the corresponding part of the left side will become highlighted)

Does that make sense? I'm new to it really......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    It does make sense, and it sounds like a little patience is required!

I'll have a play with it when I get some time! I also need to find some time to teach myself how to use some Palm programming tools (izibasic, smallbasic and hotpaw are currently on my list, as well as this HEX editor now )

Thanks for your insight into the HEX editor tool.

No problem. I'm sure seasoned programmers are spitting in disgust at my simplistic 'newbie' approach to hex editing!
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast