1.    #1  
    I was wondering if there is any way to effectively connect my Treo to the car stereo so I could listen to streaming Internet radio stations while driving? I've tried using a cassette adapter plugged into the Treo's headphone jack but the RF interference which passes through the car speakers is quite significant. Has anyone else successfully figured out a way to do this?
    Last edited by mjansons; 05/18/2006 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Clarify question
    Interference, that's odd?

I use a cassette adapter, along with an inline mike adapter between the treo and the cassette adapter's 3.5 plug in my WRX all the time. I, also, have a lighter-to-USB adapter which powers the lil-bugger while I'm on long drives.

However, I don't do internet radio while driving, just the 2 gb of music I have on a card (via Napster). Perhaps the noise is coming from the net connection.

One recommendation: A few years ago, I bought one of those rubber tacky pads from Radio Shack and put it on my dashboard. It works great for holding the 650, even when I'm driving on the backroads of New Mexico.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
  3.    #3  
    The interference is specifically related to the streaming internet audio. Playing MP3 files off a card is no problem, but if you're streaming internet radio to the Treo, it is constantly receiving a signal and this causes RF interference which can be heard through the car's speakers. I'm wondering if there is any way to shield against this type of interference. If so then the Treo could theoretically be used like an XM/Sirius satellite radio in the car and I could stream Shoutcast stations while driving.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I do have the same problem...it varies by how far or close ur treo in near the car's speakers...can someone plz post the best setup for putting the treo in ur car?
    The goal is to keep the Treo away from the radio and hope that the interference reduces. Try using long wires to connect the audio to the radio (if the radio has audio input). Or use some type of Bluetooth device to send audio to the radio. Like using http://www.kjc-tech.com/Clip_S38.cfm with an FM transmitter attached to ClipS38's jack.

I doubt that any of my suggestions are practical, though. Would you really want to drive with the Treo in the back seat? I doubt it.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    With PTunes, Scorche bluetooth reciever, and Softick Audio Gateway (SAG), you can do this! The head unit must also support auxilary in.
    I was doing a search, and this is as close as I came. I have just started using Pocket Tunes. I really like it. Was wondering if anyone is making:

1. something you can plug into the Treo so youcan tune your radio to an FM station and listen to whatever is on Pocket Tunes over the radio?
    2. some unit that you can put by your bed that hold, charges and plays Pocket Tunes through bigger speakers.

Thanks

SPG
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Here's my set up for my truck:
    * auxillary in to head unit connected to 3.2 -2.5 adapter.
    * auxillary power adapter.
    * PTunes 4.0
    I stream and play music files through the headunit (alpine) all the time.

Bluetooth headset (finally found one to pair consistently) to talk on phone while listening to podcasts.

At Home, power adapter by side of bed, 2.5-3.5 adapter, stereo headphones.

simple. easy.

Key to remember is that if your source is mono, your output will be mono also.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    My setup is 3.5 to 2.5 adapter for treo. On the other end is a 3.5 going into the AUX jack on my stereo. Phone is mounted up on the center vent. stereo is about 1 foot below. Stream shoutcast without any feedback. But as soon as I plug my car charget to my treo I get humming coming through the speaker. So I dont ever use my car charger at the same time and I get clear audio.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPG View Post
    I was doing a search, and this is as close as I came. I have just started using Pocket Tunes. I really like it. Was wondering if anyone is making:

1. something you can plug into the Treo so youcan tune your radio to an FM station and listen to whatever is on Pocket Tunes over the radio?
    2. some unit that you can put by your bed that hold, charges and plays Pocket Tunes through bigger speakers.

Thanks

SPG
    Here's a few more options.

1) Get a car stereo with an Aux input on the front. Connect with an 1/8 in. to 1/8 in. stereo cable and an adapter for the 1/16 in. jack on the Treo. All parts can be purchased fairly cheaply at Radio Shack (with much profit to them :-) )

2) Get a Belkin FM transmitter at Walmart. It uses ad 1/8 in. stereo plug, so you will still need that adapter from Radio Shack.

3) Get a stereo headunit with built-in Bluetooth A2DP (they are out there). Buy SAG and have fun! (unless of course you have a 680 :-( )
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano View Post
    3) Get a stereo headunit with built-in Bluetooth A2DP (they are out there). Buy SAG and have fun! (unless of course you have a 680 :-( )
    If one does that, can one still use a wireless BT headset for phone calls?
    Also, I guess that would definitely rule out using a BT GPS while listening to music?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPG View Post

Thanks

SPG
    1. If your car stereo has cassette, just get a cassette adapter and a 3.5mm > 2.5mm adapter so you can plug its stereo mini-jack into the Treo's audio port. Works perfectly for me. I keep the Treo on the passenger's seat or sometimes in a cup holder. If your car stereo only has a CD slot and no cassette well, then use an FM transmitter, but I find the volume and clarity and frequency response from a cassette adapter far superior to any little FM transmitter I've used - and there's no RF interference with a cassette adapter. Plus FM broadcasting is capped at 16kHz by the FCC. My car's stereo's antenna is wires embedded in the rear window along with the defroster wires so it doesn't have a mast antenna on a fender. In the end result, I get much better performance with the older-tech cassette adapter than any little FM transmitter I've tried

2. For bedside play, the Altec Lansing iMT1 is an excellent unit. It's in the TC store. It's on the expensive side but I'm quite pleased by the amount of sound it puts out of four 1" speakers. It's surprisingly small in size and quite stylish. It'll hold a Treo 650 or 700p and charge it at the same time, or you can run it off four AA batteries for a few hours but you'll get more volume if it's connected to AC. It's also a speaker phone and a sync system, although I rarely use it for a speaker phone and never use it as a sync cradle since my computers are in a different room

Other comments about the iMT1:

- it's designed to work correctly as a speaker phone ONLY with CDMA Treos. GSM Treos put out a periodic radio signal that interferes with its use as a speaker phone but if you intend to use it only as an amplified speaker system, that's not a concern

- The sound is surprisingly clean and full range considering the size of the speakers behind its grille. Altec provides absolutely no specs as to the wattage of the amplifier inside. But it's "enough." You can easily fill a room with sound from this thing or ramp it down to whisper quiet and still get quality, clear sound out of it, whether for spoken word (audio books, streaming talk radio, or music of any kind..) ..

- It has NO tone controls but if you're using Pocket Tunes for playback, just use the software's equalizer instead

- Its controls use pleasant blue lights that are nicely subdued for nighttime bedroom use

- Altec Lansing sells (for about $50.00) an optional powered subwoofer (there's a jack on the back of the iMT1 to accommodate the subwoofer..) .. on their site (which is not offered in the TC store).. As I live in an apartment and the next door neighbor's bedroom is on the other side of my bedroom wall, a subwoofer would probably not be a good idea in my situation (as opposed to using it in, say, the living room..) .. but if you live in a house and want more bass, then it's probably a worthwhile investment if you want to spring another $50.00 for it.

- Instead of simple dials or a knob for volume control, for some strange reason, Altec went with a "more high tech, harder to use" (style over substance..) .. rubber plus and minus pair of membrane volume controls on the top of the unit. Dumb. These "buttons" take a LOT of pressure. I don't know if they are the same on all iMT1 units or just this one, but what I do is set them about mid-way (and there's really no way to accurately tell where "mid-way" is since there's no knob with a pointer on it.. and then use the Treo's own volume rockers to control the output.

- the iMT1 is specifically designed as a Treo accessory. It's not just some generic self-powered speaker system that just happens to work with Treos.
    See Jay Gross' review at http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/798-1.htm

- There is an AUX IN jack on the back so you can also use it with anything else you can cable to it, like an iPod or a Rio Volt or any kind of MP3 player, as long as that player has its own power source. The iMT1 has a Palm multi-connector under a flip-up lid which cradles the Treo and it will ONLY power and charge a Treo, but you can play ANY other kind of portable player through its AUX IN jack on the back

The unit I have is the exact same unit Jay reviewed. I bought it from him (to help him out with his hospital bills..) .. I concur with everything he said in his review. Personally, I think the iMT1 is a bit over-priced for what it is, but it does put out high quality sound (even without the subwoofer..) .. despite its size. It gets the job done and except for the goofy plus and minus volume controls on it, is very stylish, sounds excellent and gets the job done

Just don't plan on using it as a speaker phone if your Treo is GSM

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 12/20/2006 at 06:17 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
    My setup is 3.5 to 2.5 adapter for treo. On the other end is a 3.5 going into the AUX jack on my stereo. Phone is mounted up on the center vent. stereo is about 1 foot below. Stream shoutcast without any feedback. But as soon as I plug my car charget to my treo I get humming coming through the speaker. So I dont ever use my car charger at the same time and I get clear audio.
    Are you using an aftermarket charger or a Plam unit? I found the OEM's to be much better in shielding and accuracy for charging.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Well Ive done a ton of research on this lately and unfortunately I cant even get an aux in adapter for my factory head unit (I have a love/hate relationship with my Saab for exact reasons like this) So Ive found a few hacks that I could hack one up. If I do this the end goal will be to have RCA outs to a Schoshe (sp?) BT reciever and let it pick up SAG.

I just dont know if I really want to tackle this project since it seriously would be a custom DIY job. Sigh.... freakin Saabs.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    I also know that I could buy a new head unit that has RCA out puts on the back but I really want to keep the factory look.

As to the poster that posted the comment about head units with BT capability and their exisitance.... Ive yet to find one that doesnt require the additional purchase of their own propritary BT reciever a'la the Alpine unit. But please correct me if Im wrong because Ive yet to see one that does it naitivly.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Depending on your make/model of vehicle, the GROM adapter has some nice features.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...highlight=grom
    It's made to work with TCPMP (no streaming) but I've found that streaming audio played with Ptunes or Mundu will transfer to the car stereo just fine. You just don't get the control from your car like you can playing MP3s with TCPMP.