1.    #1  
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Palm_Treo_70...2.html?tag=nav

Im really glad i held out this long with a Samsung SCH-A670...only the worst phone on this earth. Im sure any upgrade from this phone would be great but i am really excited about jumping on the treo bandwagon.

Just in time as i am off on my way to college in August
    Last edited by justbrown522; 05/18/2006 at 11:34 AM.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    I fell your pain brother. I have the same phone and I'm on my 4th one in 2 years. They definitely suck.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Since the review was published, CNET has acknowledged a few things:

Quote Originally Posted by CNET
    As of this writing, 1:30 AM 5/18/06, the CNET review contains a few errors that pertain to comparisons to other devices.

"Windows-based devices support only up to 320x240 pixels."

The above statement is false. Windows Mobile devices support far more than "320x240 pixels" (e.g., there are 480x640 WM devices). What they do not support is 320x320 resolution, thus the decision to go with 240x240, which is supported by WM.

"Yet another distinction is that the Palm Treo 700p is the first Treo to offer built-in dial-up networking capabilities (DUN)."

The above, too, is false. The Treo 650 was designed to support DUN via Bluetooth. Sprint's initial ROM didn't enable this feature, but a subsequent ROM upgrade--nearly a year ago--certainly did. As of this writing, the manual that ships with current Sprint Treo 650s explicitly detail how to do it. That same manual, again, as of this writing, is available on Sprint's Website as a PDF.

It bears mentioning, since this review is centered around Sprint's version of the Treo 700p, that users under older Vision plans (CDMA 1x) will be forced to move up to a "Power Vision" plan--even if they don't live in an EV-DO coverage area. Since Sprint did not overlay EV-DO in approximately 66% of its CDMA 1x coverage areas, many people will be affected by this.

Moreover, as many old--and plenty of not-so-old--Vision plans included such items as Picture Mail and text messaging, upgrading to a Power Vision device, including the Treo 700p, may end up costing the customer significantly more each month. In my case it would mean at least a $35 monthly increase (plus those never-ending taxes), though I cannot receive an EV-DO signal in my area. Even if I did live in an EV-DO coverage area, I'm not sure it would justify an additional $500 per year.

So, though I have tested a 700p, and indeed wouldn't mind upgrading from my current 650, I cannot see paying the extra monthly charges in order to do so.

Wake up Sprint: You can only nickel-and-dime customers up to a certain point. And penalizing loyal customers by forcing an unwanted, and in many cases unusable, Power Vision plan on them is not wise (the 700p is perfectly capable of being used in non EV-DO areas, it will merely use the CDMA 1x signal instead).

As far as Palm goes, they probably did the best they could with the current state of the Palm OS, which is now owned by the company Access. Adding Wi-Fi to the current version of Garnet (Palm OS 5), on a *phone* device, has proven to be quirky and unreliable. I see no reason why a ..1 OS version increase (it went from version 5.4.8 to version 5.4.9) would change that.

In addition no Palm OS 6 (Cobalt) device has ever been released, and it's quite likely that none will. So Palm cannot be faulted for not including it on the 700p. Access has already announced the direction they are taking the Palm OS, and Cobalt is not apart it. ALP is where it's headed (Access Linux Platform).
    Not much wrong then
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    naivete are you sure you didnt pen that article change yourself?

LMAO
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Cnet didn't acknowlege this. This was a user posting to the review. Very slanted on his part, and rants and whines about Sprint at the end.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

I don't know if this has been mentioned in other threads yet but the CNET review implies that the $15 PowerVision acct will work for Bluetooth DUN but USB would need the $40/month PAM acct. This would be a great compromise.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23
    naivete are you sure you didnt pen that article change yourself?

LMAO
    My bad...it must have been the martini's.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    Cnet didn't acknowlege this. This was a user posting to the review. Very slanted on his part, and rants and whines about Sprint at the end.
    Missed that one, too. Oh boy, I'm done citing sources for the day.
    Missed that one, too. Oh boy, I'm done citing sources for the day.
    Just keepin' it real fellas.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

From CNET article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Palm_Treo_70...5.html?tag=nav

"Surfing the Web on the Palm Treo 700p was a relatively good experience. Download speeds weren't mind-blowing, but the support for Sprint's EV-DO network definitely made a difference, as even graphics-intensive sites such as CNET.com loaded quickly. We also watched an episode of Fox's Prison Break on the 700p, and we admit it's cool having the ability to watch TV on a palm-size device, but the picture was way too pixelated to enjoy the experience. Also, the sound became muffled when we laid the device on a table; to get the best results, we suggest using the wired headset. It's nice, however, that when you're in a data session, you can accept calls. Then when you hang up, you can resume your data session automatically."

Did you guys catch the part about the ability to accept calls while in a data session, and then resuming the data session again automatically?

That's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge improvement!! Now I reaaaaaally have to get a 700p!!

Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    From CNET article:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Palm_Treo_70...5.html?tag=nav

"Surfing the Web on the Palm Treo 700p was a relatively good experience. Download speeds weren't mind-blowing, but the support for Sprint's EV-DO network definitely made a difference, as even graphics-intensive sites such as CNET.com loaded quickly. We also watched an episode of Fox's Prison Break on the 700p, and we admit it's cool having the ability to watch TV on a palm-size device, but the picture was way too pixelated to enjoy the experience. Also, the sound became muffled when we laid the device on a table; to get the best results, we suggest using the wired headset. It's nice, however, that when you're in a data session, you can accept calls. Then when you hang up, you can resume your data session automatically."

Did you guys catch the part about the ability to accept calls while in a data session, and then resuming the data session again automatically?

That's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge improvement!! Now I reaaaaaally have to get a 700p!!

Casey

Basically it is a feature of EV-DO. Treo 700w does the same.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    Basically it is a feature of EV-DO. Treo 700w does the same.
    Okay, that's good to know. Didn't know that before.

In any case, I still gotta have a 700p now! I send and receive data much more than making phone calls, so this is useful for me.

CC
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung
    Okay, that's good to know. Didn't know that before.

In any case, I still gotta have a 700p now! I send and receive data much more than making phone calls, so this is useful for me.

CC
    Only works if you are in an Ev-DO area. If you are surfing via 1xRTT calls still get forwarded to voicemail.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Just keepin' it real fellas.
    Peace.
    Anyone else find it hilarious that the CNET Video review of the 700p is sponsored by Windows Mobile (logo in the lower right of the video player as well as a 10 second lead-in commerical before the review? I'm sure it is entirely intentional, but I still got a good laugh
    Of course it was slanted, I wrote it! The review was about Sprint's version of the 700p, so AFAIAC, Sprint was fair game.

--
    Mike
    CNET didn't do much except remove the "Free Laptop" review. I wrote the review containing the corrections you quoted. There're probably more, those are just the two I zeroed in on.

P.S. - Note that I wrote that after 1 AM. It might have been "alcohol related."

--
    Mike
    Well, is it true that a 700p will cost a LOT more for data with Sprint than a 650 does?! That certainly doesn't make me want to switch to Sprint.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Well, is it true that a 700p will cost a LOT more for data with Sprint than a 650 does?! That certainly doesn't make me want to switch to Sprint.
    MacUser, if you aren't already a Sprint customer then preserving an old grandfathered Vision plan is not an issue.

If that's the case, Sprint's entry-level price for Power Vision (w/o tethering) is only $15 per month. That's actually not too bad, comparatively speaking.

What I was writing about was having to give up, what amounts to, retention offers that I've managed to negotiate with Sprint over the course of more than five years. Even then, it appears Sprint might be willing to keep me close to my current spending level via discounts or whatnot (hopefully).

--
    Mike