Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I JUST FOUND THIS POSTED ON THE NY TIMES, ENJOY, TAKE CARE, JAY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 18, 2006
    David Pogue
    May's Treo Leapfrogs Past January's
    THE electronics industry operates like a very expensive game of leapfrog. You buy something in April, and then a newer, faster, less expensive version comes out in May. Rats!

On the other hand, you might get lucky; you might not buy in until the better version comes along. There you sit on the train, on the plane or at the baseball field, smugly looking over at the poor saps who bought last month's phone, music player or camera.
    [snip - KR]
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 05/18/2006 at 12:00 PM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    No built in email or PIM Exchange push capability like WM5/Treo 700w though. Blackberry still better at that. But Marc is working on a version of Chatter that will push all of those PIM events from Exchange. Then we will really have a Blackberry "killer"!
    Global Posts
    353 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannatreo
    No built in email or PIM Exchange push capability like WM5/Treo 700w though. Blackberry still better at that. But Marc is working on a version of Chatter that will push all of those PIM events from Exchange. Then we will really have a Blackberry "killer"!
    I can't wait for that!! Chatter is cool..
    "Some have knocked the Treo 700 family for its lack of Wi-Fi wireless networking; the 700P doesn't even accept Palm's $100 Wi-Fi card. Then again, if you can get online through the high-speed cellular network in hundreds of big cities, why limit yourself to scattered hot spots here and there?"

Because if you don't have Ev-DO, don't want to pay for it, or better yet, are paying for it, but don't have a signal somewhere, you're screwed!

Decent review, but it feels kinda incomplete. It seems more like a comparison to the 700w and the Blackberry than an actual review. It doesn't even mention much about the new multimedia capabilities.
    That's awesome. Who wants to buy my Motorola Ming/A1200? Used for a week!
    Yeah, baby! Pogue is the man. The wait is almost over.
    Pogue is an excellent writer. Good read.

I wonder what WSJ's Walt Mossberg would say.
    Last edited by Rome; 05/17/2006 at 10:27 PM.
    good writer should be impartial, but these guy seems too one sided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    "Some have knocked the Treo 700 family for its lack of Wi-Fi wireless networking; the 700P doesn't even accept Palm's $100 Wi-Fi card. Then again, if you can get online through the high-speed cellular network in hundreds of big cities, why limit yourself to scattered hot spots here and there?"

Because if you don't have Ev-DO, don't want to pay for it, or better yet, are paying for it, but don't have a signal somewhere, you're screwed!

Decent review, but it feels kinda incomplete. It seems more like a comparison to the 700w and the Blackberry than an actual review. It doesn't even mention much about the new multimedia capabilities.

Or like last month when I was in Europe with my CDMA Treo, would've been nice to at least use Wi-Fi
    Quote Originally Posted by BoeingPilot
    Or like last month when I was in Europe with my CDMA Treo, would've been nice to at least use Wi-Fi
    Exactly....notice how in all his belittling of the 700w, he doesn't mention how it supports SDIO wifi, but the 700p doesn't... and what would he have said if the 700p did support wifi? He probably wouldn't have said that it's unnecessary because of Ev-DO, but more lilkely would have said something about how it's a nice backup or good for those who don't want to pay for a data plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Times Review
    Some have knocked the Treo 700 family for its lack of Wi-Fi wireless networking; the 700P doesn't even accept Palm's $100 Wi-Fi card. Then again, if you can get online through the high-speed cellular network in hundreds of big cities, why limit yourself to scattered hot spots here and there?
    This is a faulty argument, as the opposite could also be true (as has been
    pointed out by many of you, here). Worse, this is plain bullying tactics -
    "Why the f**k do you need WiFi?, EvDO is good enough for c**ppy people
    like you. I'm telling you so."

Hell, if somebody gave me a free 700p to review, I would overlook every
    shortcoming, even invent reasons as to why all its shortcomings are in-fact
    advantages, blessings-in-disguise, as it were!.

The search (for any customer) is for cheaper connectivity, bandwidth and
    importantly choice. EvDO and its sister UMTS lock you to the carrier for all
    your services. Otherwise, phones with Wi-Fi would not be so popular.

- mvk
    Game over!
    Ummm and what do you say about Goodlink??? Why so many companies recently ditch Blackberry and moved to GoodLink???
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.

Like Ehsan mentioned above, there are various options for the palmos Treo like Good, forthcoming Chatteremail and even the future BB Connect client. But wannatreo does have a point about the "out of box experience". But personally, I like to have a lot of options...

In regards to the WM vs palmos treo...really who cares! I mean they are both Palm and Treos and that's what matter the most imo. Better to have Palm hedge its bets with platforms rather than getting burned by either one since they no longer control the PalmOS...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    All of these reviews are biased & only tell of the good. It is not even a real review. All they say is what they like about it. Sickening I say!
    From what has been talked about the 700p I am loving it so far and I am gonna buy it the day it comes out.. But come on these reviews say none of the Cons of this thing (We all know that this device or any device has its Pros and Cons) This pretty much all advertisement strategy from Palm,
    Like that guy I've been hearing about who was hired to troll these forums You know who I am talking about
    <s></s>
    ...this reads like an advertisement.
    One thing is, my Treo 650 is solid now (it took about 8 months to get this way, I think). I don't think I want to jump into the beta test on the new model again.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Did he say that EVDO speed approaches cable modem? He better contact his cable provider because I have a feeling his cable modem isnt working quite right.

I would say EVDO is somewhere between really fast dialup and really slow DSL.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jg013c
    ...really fast dialup...
    Isn't that a contradiction in terms
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    I JUST FOUND THIS POSTED ON THE NY TIMES, ENJOY, TAKE CARE, JAY

May 18, 2006
    David Pogue
    ...In January, Palm released a new model called the Treo 700W, which shall henceforth be known as the Blessing/Curse Upgrade. This model was even sleeker (2.3 by 4.4 by 0.9 inches), faster (312 megahertz) and more capacious (60 megabytes of free memory). More important, it brought sunshine into the lives of business travelers by hopping onto Verizon's and Sprint's superfast cellular networks (known as EV-DO)...
    Typical Pogue (and getting to be typical Mossberg) the reviews look like a recitation of a Palm sales brochure (Gee, look at this neat feature). What always tweaks me is the proof in their own writing that shows they are not doing an independent review. Look at the quote above - has Sprint gotten a 700w and I somehow missed the launch?

Eough said.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast