1.    #1  
    from Palm PluggedIn Program News - Issue Number 5

"The first Treo running Palm OS 5.4.9, the Treo 700p is full of exciting upgrades. Starting with the Palm OS 5.4.9 update, which provides improved NVFS memory management, the Treo 700p is also loaded with 128MB (64MB NAND + 64MB NOR) of built-in flash memory and 32MB of DRAM. The execute-in-place Treo 700p smartphone System Image (ROM), located in the device’s 64MB NOR Flash, frees up even more space for users and developers, allowing for 60MB of nonvolatile memory available to users."
    Found this thread while doing some research. XIP on the 700p is interesting to me. here's a link to the original quote.
    Interestingly the setup is exactly the same for the 700w.

Surur
    So in theory, the 700p could run WinMob?
    Quote Originally Posted by egn View Post
    So in theory, the 700p could run WinMob?
    In theory, possibly. it's be a interesting thing to try. I'm sure that it wouldn't really be worth the effort, tho.
    While I am sure it would be an interesting thing to try, I concur, its probably not worth the effort - however, it makes me wonder if there was a way to do a dual boot Palm/WinMob setup. If it is possible, I'm sure we will here it at TC first.
    Does anyone have the same quote, but for the 750/680/650/600 hardwares? Thanks
    600: no user accessible flash
    650: ~23M user accessible flash (NOR)
    680: ~60M user accessible flash (NAND) - this may not have the performance/lag issue seen with the 700p, due to the fact it is speced with a full 64M of RAM
    700p: ~60M user accessible flash (NAND)
    700w/wx: ~60M user accessible flash (NAND)
    750: ~60M user accessible flash (NAND)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr View Post
    600: no user accessible flash
    650: ~23M user accessible flash (NOR)
    680: ~60M user accessible flash (NAND) - this may not have the performance/lag issue seen with the 700p, due to the fact it is speced with a full 64M of RAM
    700p: ~60M user accessible flash (NAND)
    700w/wx: ~60M user accessible flash (NAND)
    750: ~60M user accessible flash (NAND)
    So none of the palms have 128mb RAM/flashes.. etc? Thanks
    yes basically they advertise the 28MB 'memory' for 650, you get what he said you get unless you tweak ur ROM. Oh yeah I like to stay home Friday Nights and tweak my ROM all night long...
    Gone Tokin, gurgle gurgle...

JediChuckw/Treo

Going for my Treo 700p and icon thingy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JediChuckw/Treo View Post
    yes basically they advertise the 28MB 'memory' for 650, you get what he said you get unless you tweak ur ROM. Oh yeah I like to stay home Friday Nights and tweak my ROM all night long...
    Well, you know Palm thinks 23MB is such a massive amount of memory that there's very few people that will even approach that amount in their devices.

I'm sure that the 700p is barely selling as a upgrade to the 650. Palm's stockholders must be pissed Palm "wasted" all that extra money to implement "all" that extra NAND that their crack team of researchers has already determined only about 300 people (all Treocentral users BTW) will ever need.

I guess the 700p's are all wasting away in warehouses as the 650's fly out the door. The market has spoken about our foolish complaints about the appropriate size of "RAM," eh?
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    So why is the difference that the newer treos uses NAND? so the newer treos have less chance of corruption because they copy the data to ram first before execution? and thus the lag problem? while the treo 650 easily have corruption because the flash is easily writable/corruptable?

Flash memory chips generally come in two flavors, NOR and NAND. NOR is the variety usually found on embedded devices, while NAND is the kind normally found inside solid-state mass storage devices, such as USB pen drives. NOR flash chips are connected to the processor via address and data lines like normal RAM; NAND flash is interfaced using a slim sequential interface. Code resident on NOR flash can be executed directly, while that stored on NAND flash must be copied to RAM before execution. NAND flash has the added limitation that it restricts the number of consecutive writes to a flash sector before an erase is necessitated.