Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For several years now, I've been saying that Treos are successful not because of Palm but in spite of them.

I pointed to software like the ultra-slow Blazer, Versafail, slow-as-molasses Pics&Videos and RealPlayer as proof that the company couldn't give us what we wanted.

Now the 700p might change that belief. I'll believe it when I see it, but if they've given us a FAST browser, FAST media app, FAST UI, , and STREAMING WM, and put it in a package that works, I will recant all (most) of the bad words I said about this company.

Now, don't get me wrong- the 700p isn't perfect. 18MB DBcache is still puny IMO- it means I'll get 3 crashes a day instead of 5. With my usage patterns, DBCache is down to <3MB after a soft reset!!!! Versafail will never replace Chatter.

But the 700p could be a great machine, and we have... Palm to thank for bringing added functionality to the Palm OS. Not just Marc for his Chatter, not just TCPMP for their player, and not just Mobirus for their Xiino. I hope they continue this trend and continue to give us the unexpected software-wise.

But a fast browser and WM-compatible media player has me checking Palm's 700p page regularly for the 'Buy Now' button. Thanks Palm.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Why wouldn't this amount of DBCache be plenty, considering that Palm OS Garnet isn't a true multitasking OS? You've got audio running in the background sometimes, but other than that the app with the focus should have all of the CPU and memory, no?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny

Now, don't get me wrong- the 700p isn't perfect. 18MB DBcache is still puny IMO- it means I'll get 3 crashes a day instead of 5. With my usage patterns, DBCache is down to <3MB after a soft reset!!!! Versafail will never replace Chatter.

HUH? C'mon, 18 MB dbCache is HUGE!!!!!!! Of all things, that is the one thing you should be complaining about the least!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    HUH? C'mon, 18 MB dbCache is HUGE!!!!!!! Of all things, that is the one thing you should be complaining about the least!
    I remember the first hard drive I ever got was 20 mb. It seemed huge and for a couple months I could never see a reason I would need more. Today I have 60-300 gb HD's and know they will never be enough. My point is 18 mb will be complained about by each of you very soon. Palm could have put in 36 mb of dbcache and some would still not be happy. It is just the way life is.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I remember the first hard drive I ever got was 20 mb. It seemed huge and for a couple months I could never see a reason I would need more. Today I have 60-300 gb HD's and know they will never be enough. My point is 18 mb will be complained about by each of you very soon. Palm could have put in 36 mb of dbcache and some would still not be happy. It is just the way life is.
    20mb.. I am pretty sure thats a typo sir but. Did something ever like that existed?
    What was the capacity of the first HD?

Sorry for going OT
    <s></s>
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Headake
    20mb.. I am pretty sure thats a typo sir but. Did something ever like that existed?

Sorry for going OT
    Jr. -- it's nappy time. If you're really good, I'll give you a lollipop when you wake up...

Now -- regardless of what my Avatar looks like, I'm not even 40 years old -- yet I paid $1400 for my first hard drive - a 20MB drive -- and that was a steal! I got it at a trade show. About a year later I paid $400 for 2.5MB of RAM for that same computer. That was also a steal because it was only supposed to have 1.5 MB of RAM.

This thread just goes to show that you can't please some of the people ALL of the time. It also shows how little context many of today's computer users have about the technology we've been spoiled with!

Sorry for going OT
    You can't be serious, can you?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Jr. -- it's nappy time. If you're really good, I'll give you a lollipop when you wake up...

Now -- regardless of what my Avatar looks like, I'm not even 40 years old -- yet I paid $1400 for my first hard drive - a 20MB drive -- and that was a steal! I got it at a trade show. About a year later I paid $400 for 2.5MB of RAM for that same computer. That was also a steal because it was only supposed to have 1.5 MB of RAM.

This thread just goes to show that you can't please some of the people ALL of the time. It also shows how little context many of today's computer users have about the technology we've been spoiled with!

Kkkkk. I think I do need some sleep. WOW I thot I knew about computers, I guess all about the current ones not the ones before I was born.

1956 - first commercial hard disk, the IBM 350 RAMAC disk drive, 5 megabyte.

...Sry Sry keep the main conversation going.
    Last edited by Headake; 05/18/2006 at 07:12 AM.
    <s></s>
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Kkkkk. I think I do need some sleep. WOW I thot I knew about computers, I guess all about the current ones not the ones before I was born.

1956 - first commercial hard disk, the IBM 350 RAMAC disk drive, 5 megabyte.

...Sry Sry keep the main conversation going.
    Hey - this was in the 1980's (sheesh...did I *have* to put the 19 in front of 80's...I guess so...).
    Hey - this was in the 1980's (sheesh...did I *have* to put the 19 in front of 80's...I guess so...).
    You didn't have to but thanks for doing it
    <s></s>
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic

I'm not complaining about it - I just said it's not perfect. I think the whole DB cache system is flawed but I understand it is necessary. No matter how big it is, eventually it will fill up and will reset. With my usage patterns, it's probably just a matter of time. That's why I said my crashes will probably go from 5/day to 3/day. Even if the thing had 36MB, I'd probably get at least 1 crash a day.

I'm guessing these apps load at start-up with my setup:

Chatter
    Verichat
    Wassdat
    Fonts4OS5
    SLovoEd
    KBLights
    Hi-Launcher
    MacroPlay
    pTunes
    PowerRun
    StockBrokerPro

I'm not sure what else there is, but I'm down to 2MB free after a soft reset.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.

Sorry for going OT
    LOL!!
    some of us are showing our ages!

my first computer, a Mac SE, with 1mb RAM and a 20 (Twenty) Mb (yes, megabyte, not gigabyte) hard disk drive.

Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    We got an IBM PC computer in 1983 that had no harddrive on it, and only one floppy drive. You needed to have the DOS floppy disk in the drive before you turned on the computer. Anything you saved had to go onto a floppy.

Floppy!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Love
    We got an IBM PC computer in 1983 that had no harddrive on it, and only one floppy drive. You needed to have the DOS floppy disk in the drive before you turned on the computer. Anything you saved had to go onto a floppy.

Floppy!
    And for those of you too young to remember, that was a 5.25", 360KB true floppy disk, not the 3.5", 1.44MB disks of today.

I'll go one better: how 'bout cassette tapes as the only method of data storage?

Back on topic: give me EVDO for $15/month and I'll consider upgrading. Otherwise, forget it.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    And for those of you too young to remember, that was a 5.25", 360KB true floppy disk, not the 3.5", 1.44MB disks of today.

I'll go one better: how 'bout cassette tapes as the only method of data storage?

Back on topic: give me EVDO for $15/month and I'll consider upgrading. Otherwise, forget it.

Who are you with?

PowerVision pricing is at 3 levels ($15, $20 & $25) depending on how many Sprint TV channels you include. . . . .
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Oops... Didn't realize it was staying that cheap. Cool!
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    My first PC was an 8088 with DUAL 5.25" floppy drives and no HD. We eventually upgraded to a 15mb HD and CGA monitor, and thought that was amazingly cool!

What we've learned in the many years we have of computer experience is there is no such thing as computing perfection, there will always be room for improvement, and there will always be a new latest and greatest gadget to buy. For me, the improvements in the 700p are certainly worth it, and I'll be upgrading as soon as it's available.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula
    My first PC was an 8088 with DUAL 5.25" floppy drives and no HD. We eventually upgraded to a 15mb HD and CGA monitor, and thought that was amazingly cool!

What we've learned in the many years we have of computer experience is there is no such thing as computing perfection, there will always be room for improvement, and there will always be a new latest and greatest gadget to buy. For me, the improvements in the 700p are certainly worth it, and I'll be upgrading as soon as it's available.
    I ran a BBS off an Apple IIc with 2 256K floppy drives and a 300 baud modem. It got rave reviews in the day -- but if you didn't log in and read the posts at least once a day you'd miss the conversation because I had to delete messages once we got to 30 per board (and only 5 different boards could be used). Can you imagine trying to run vBulletin on 2 256K drives? Now that's technology!

And Bug - you're right. I made the point somewhere on TC that what a lot of people on TC seem to lack is perspective. Those of us that have seen dozens of hardware and software revisions over the years have seen exactly what you describe -- a lack of "perfection". I think I'm not upset with the things that are missing simply because I expected things to be missing...I just wasn't sure what would be missing.

I think it would be interesting (I'm not asking, mind you) to poll the ages of the various TC participants. I have a strong suspicion that those who the most (vocally) unhappy probably skew a bit younger...
    I think it would be interesting (I'm not asking, mind you) to poll the ages of the various TC participants. I have a strong suspicion that those who the most (vocally) unhappy probably skew a bit younger...
    I'm 27 and am honestly quite happy with what the 700p is bringing. Is it perfect? No, but nothing is. Do I qualify under skewing a bit younger? I believe that people that complain are just people that like to complain, regardless of age. Haggar, you ageist!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Who are you with?

PowerVision pricing is at 3 levels ($15, $20 & $25) depending on how many Sprint TV channels you include. . . . .
    Perry, the problem with that is that many of us Sprint customers already have better deals with Vision plans.

My Vision plan, which is not specifically broken out on a line-item on my bill (it's included) is unlimited on each handset, including my Treo 650. I also have unlimited text messaging, and receive approximately 25 of them each day. I have three handsets in total (including the Treo).

But Sprint will not allow me to keep my Vision plan; they will insist on a Power Vision plan. This is the case even though I do not live in an EV-DO coverage area (I'll admit that I travel a lot on business, but cannot imagine EV-DO changing my business usage all that much).

Changing to even the most cheapest of Power Vision plans would mean an increase of at least $35 per month (my bill is currently north of $100 per month, and has been for at least five years). And that would not include tethering, of which I do only every other month or so. When I'm on a business trip, with my laptop, I always stay in hotels with broadband access, which I also receive while on-site at a client's location. That pretty much leaves non-free-WiFi airports for my occasional tethering usage.

So, forgetting about the cost of the 700p, which would be offset by selling my 650, I am not--at least at this point--willing to pay an extra $500 per year (after they add those never-ending taxes) to my Sprint bill for a service they don't even provide in my area.

That's about my only issue with the 700p, and it's more carrier-related than anything else. I've gotten my 650, with a custom ROM (w/FAT32 of course), running rather smoothly right now. I'd pop for a 700p on day-one, if I wasn't going to be forced to pay for it again--each and every year. I am only under contract on one line (the Treo's, unfortunately), and Sprint keeps trying to get me to add another line. So I'll see if retention can do anything to help (I suspect not).

YMMV, IMHO, and all other disclaimers apply.

--
    Mike
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast