Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I ran a PCBoard system called the "Clingon Empire" for years (in the 90s) on a 486-DX40 with 512MB of memory, 20mb hard drive, a couple of CD roms and two phone lines running at a blazing 56K. I participated in a local BBS network using Fido to provide the national forums. Ran some door games, live chat, et cetera. I had a friend that pulled his feeds off of the satellite. How things have changed. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Now, don't get me wrong- the 700p isn't perfect. 18MB DBcache is still puny IMO- it means I'll get 3 crashes a day instead of 5. With my usage patterns, DBCache is down to <3MB after a soft reset!!!!
    From here: "An application can now strive to accomplish much more on a device such as the Treo 700p smartphone, which has 22MB of DBCache, 10MB of Dynamic Heap"

Looks like the other 4mb have been put to good use. If you still get resets, it'll be because of butler
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    From here: "An application can now strive to accomplish much more on a device such as the Treo 700p smartphone, which has 22MB of DBCache, 10MB of Dynamic Heap"

Looks like the other 4mb have been put to good use. If you still get resets, it'll be because of butler

Like I said, even with 36MB, I'd get resets (less frequently). That's ok, I'm not worried about a few resets, I understand the necessary evil that is DBCache. I even find myself looking forward to the Palm logo screen sometimes.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I remember the first hard drive I ever got was 20 mb. It seemed huge and for a couple months I could never see a reason I would need more. Today I have 60-300 gb HD's and know they will never be enough. My point is 18 mb will be complained about by each of you very soon. Palm could have put in 36 mb of dbcache and some would still not be happy. It is just the way life is.
    I think this highlights the difference between a business user and a MM user.

I have every letter, proposal, financial trasaction , AutoCAD Drawing File, specification, report, photo ...in short every file created by my office since 1985 backed up to a 6 GB partition on my laptop. My 12 year old son's Itunes folder is many times bigger than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think this highlights the difference between a business user and a MM user.

I have every letter, proposal, financial trasaction , AutoCAD Drawing File, specification, report, photo ...in short every file created by my office since 1985 backed up to a 6 GB partition on my laptop. My 12 year old son's Itunes folder is many times bigger than that.
    While I certainly can't argue with your personal experiences, Jack, I can state that this whole "business user" Vs. "MM user" thing is not quite so black-and-white.

Sure I use my Treo for business. Indeed I have nearly all of my important office documents with me all of the time. I use the memo field in contacts to notate every business conversation/contact I make (crude, but effective--especially since the memo size has been increased). I also use TS Client if I need remote access to a specific PC or server, as well as an FTP client to retrieve stuff I might not have with me. I send and receive business email on my Treo all of the time.

Am I business user? You bet.

But I am just as much an "entertainment" or "personal" user. I have lots of games on my Treo (OK, on SD). I also have an HTPC that I have set to automatically encode certain shows to a Treo-friendly format. I also keep at least one full-length movie (from DVDs) with me at all times. As my Treo is my music player, I keep a healthy number of tracks with me too (plus I use PTunes to stream live audio). And let's not forget Usenet!

Am I a "MM user?" You bet.

Some weeks involve more personal/entertainment usage, whereas others might be more business-centric.

I just don't see it as being one or the other. I can't be the only one that uses their Treo like this. Well, you never know... maybe I just can't grow up.

--
    Mike
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12