Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there a program out there that you can listen to the FM radio from you palm? i figured it could be done, even on sprint, cause my old nokia had it, and im sure there is some way to do it. i didnt know if the pahone "radio" was used to get FM signals or not.

and i know about podcasts and stuff, and i dont want that, unless there was something that you can set up on you computer to stream FM radio stations to the treo. TIA
    No, you can't listen to FM radio on your treo. The radios are completely different.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viperboy
    and i know about podcasts and stuff, and i dont want that, unless there was something that you can set up on you computer to stream FM radio stations to the treo. TIA
    You know about pocket tunes deluxe and shoutcast, right?
    You can with an SD card. Check out:

http://www.c-guysusa.com/

FM Radio Card is at the top of the page. Price includes software and headphones. I've been using it for several months and it works well. Sometimes the program is finicky and locks up - maybe once-twice a week. Occasionally, it will cause a soft reset, maybe a couple of times a month.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Does it allow you to do anything special or should someone just go ahead and buy a cheap FM radio and carry it as well as their treo?
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Does it allow you to do anything special or should someone just go ahead and buy a cheap FM radio and carry it as well as their treo?
    Stop trying to be so practical!
    Anything special?!?!? It turns your Treo into an FM radio. Isn't that special enough?

Well, it actually turns the SD card slot into the FM radio. But it does line up nicely with the stubby antenna.

Cell Phone + PDA = Treo
    Cell Phone + PDA + FM Radio Card = Treo

Evolution is happening and it's not called 700p!
    Brent
    Let me rephrase: "What do I get with solution that I don't get with a $10 radio?" Other than less money in my pocket and access to my SD memory card.
    The only benefit is you get to carry around only 1 clunky box, instead of 2 clunky boxes.

Seriously, though, with SD radio, the benefits I get are:

1. Work in other apps while listenting to the radio (Doc2Go, games, to-do list, games, etc.).
    2. No slow down in other apps, which I got with Shoutcast and Ptunes (huge slowdown). Really couldn't multi-task using those apps.
    3. It all fits in one camera case. It actually might all fit in one Treo case, but you'd have to shop around.
    4. I don't need the SD card slot while listening to the radio. If you do (Docs2Go or whatever), then it wouldn't work. When I'm done, I pop out SD Radio, pop in my SD backup, make a backup, and pack everything up.
    5. With a BT headset for calls, I can still take/make calls without unplugging everything.
    6. Not a battery hog.
    7. Plays pretty well with Treo. Some caveats mentioned above about resets - but only when using the SD Radio, they are not random.

I listen to the radio during while commuting by bus, do some work, check the calendar, etc. Haven't tried web browsing while listening to it, but it should be possible.
    Brent
    ON the 700p you will be able to stream satellite radio fyi in addition to shoutcast streams via ptunes!

Otherwise I agree with Kurt, just get a freaking cheap micro transistor radio from walmart if you really need a terrestrial radio that bad...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    FWIW, the only radio station I listen to is available over the internet. It's great to listen in wherever I am. www.kuhf.org
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    ON the 700p you will be able to stream satellite radio fyi in addition to shoutcast streams via ptunes!

Otherwise I agree with Kurt, just get a freaking cheap micro transistor radio from walmart if you really need a terrestrial radio that bad...
    I don't care about the 700p or about streaming.

Yes, I like the local FM station selection just fine.

Shoutcast and pTune noticeably slows down the Treo if you try to multitask.

I can slip the SD radio card in the Treo and use the Treo with no loss of speed or noticeable battery drain without having to buy another radio, another headset, another set of batteries, or one more thing to carry around and futz with during the commute.

Sure, it's not for everyone. That's why we have choices. The product, for what it is, works great, has a decent price, and gives you another way to enjoy the Treo. It's actually a pretty freakin' elegant solution to buying a radio.

I'll get off the soapbox now. The OP asked about FM software, I provided an answer that works. Whether it's the answer for her/him, is up to her/him.
    Brent
    How do you buy the SD card radio. I don't see any pricing info or retailers listed.
    They used to have a website checkout system. Looks like it's gone. The SD-Radio2 is the one for Treos. The cost in January was around $40. Here is their contact info:

C-Guys, USA
    19925 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 200
    Cupertino, CA 95014

Web: http://www.c-guysusa.com
    Email:
    sales@c-guysusa.com
    support@c-guysusa.com
    Brent
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    FWIW, the only radio station I listen to is available over the internet. It's great to listen in wherever I am. www.kuhf.org
    Are you on sprint? The kuhf 56k stream buffers about every 20-40 seconds. Very annoying. Most of the streams I use are 24-36k because of buffering.
    KUHF - great recommendation! Am listening to it now. Any other good radio stations broadcasting over the Internet?

Should sound great on the 700p with no FM radio card :-)
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by justanotheruser
    KUHF - great recommendation! Am listening to it now. Any other good radio stations broadcasting over the Internet?

Should sound great on the 700p with no FM radio card :-)
    Check out this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=98094
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    Are you on sprint? The kuhf 56k stream buffers about every 20-40 seconds. Very annoying. Most of the streams I use are 24-36k because of buffering.
    Really? I've listened for an hour before with (I think) two buffer interruptions. And yes, I use sprint.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Know of any tweaks that optimize ptunes streaming?
    Is this the only way to stream fm radio?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast